Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3810202 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3645 on: October 02, 2012, 07:43:14 pm »

Goblins and, everyone sieging behaviors were recently changed.

So what are the things that need to happen to let Player Created Forts retire?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 07:46:23 pm by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3646 on: October 02, 2012, 07:44:22 pm »

Goblins and, everyone sieging behaviors were recently changed.

So what are the things that need to happen to let Player Created Forts retire?
FTFY
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MrCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Because I can
    • View Profile
« Reply #3647 on: October 02, 2012, 07:55:03 pm »

The other day I was thinking about how the trading caravans always arrive at the same time (due mostly because my civilization was located across the world from me), and the obvious question came to my mind. Will the distance from your (or any) civilization to your fort ever effect how long it takes for a caravan to reach you? For example, instead of always arriving at the same time every year perhaps it would arrive at the same time every 2 years, or 1.3 years, and so forth.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3648 on: October 02, 2012, 08:11:12 pm »

The other day I was thinking about how the trading caravans always arrive at the same time (due mostly because my civilization was located across the world from me), and the obvious question came to my mind. Will the distance from your (or any) civilization to your fort ever effect how long it takes for a caravan to reach you? For example, instead of always arriving at the same time every year perhaps it would arrive at the same time every 2 years, or 1.3 years, and so forth.

Yes--this is what the Caravan arc is for, having armies and caravans actually cross the world to get to you instead of, you know, spawning literally at the edge of the screen.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3649 on: October 02, 2012, 08:13:41 pm »

Or not at all. ToadyOne has showed us how the Trade Networks work, if you're that far away from your home civilization, then when Forts in Fort start interacting with the actual world economy, you'd be so far removed from their trading sphere, that you should never get one from them.

I wouldnt be surprised if at some time down the road its possible to position your fort in such a far off location that it develops in mostly isolation.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3650 on: October 02, 2012, 08:14:47 pm »

An official tileset would just amount to Toady saying "okay, this one's official now" and bundling it with the game; something there's really not much point to.

Considering huge popularity of lazy newb pack and mayday, there *is* a point.
The existence of LNP proves the opposite in my opinion. Since LNP exists, what point is there in making it redundant?

GrizzleBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3651 on: October 02, 2012, 09:51:47 pm »

will the caravan arc make it more difficult to sell stone crafts year after year? Like if you flood the market with them do they become less valuable?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3652 on: October 02, 2012, 09:58:13 pm »

will the caravan arc make it more difficult to sell stone crafts year after year? Like if you flood the market with them do they become less valuable?

Let's hope so :P

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3653 on: October 02, 2012, 10:37:43 pm »

I dont know about harder, but your fort is suppose to have an eventual impact on the economy around you. So presumably, if you make shit things then you make in turn.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #3654 on: October 02, 2012, 11:18:13 pm »

Are we going to have more trees that are tied to savage/good/evil/calm regions, and if we are, are they going to "act" in strange ways? Will glumprong tree fruit be poisonous, or something like that? Walking trees?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3655 on: October 03, 2012, 12:12:52 am »

Roses are Red,
Violets are blue,
Love you toady,
We do

XD ok seriously now. Flowers are a wonderful addition. Even thought they are mostly cosmetical i love them. After this Patch you have to domartial arts so we can recreate the best Japanese fighting scenes amidst flowering cherries.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3656 on: October 03, 2012, 12:14:57 am »

Are we going to have more trees that are tied to savage/good/evil/calm regions, and if we are, are they going to "act" in strange ways? Will glumprong tree fruit be poisonous, or something like that? Walking trees?

Seeing as good/evil lands are to be scrapped and replaced relatively soon I doubt we'll see any new trees added at this point. This should lay some groundwork for what is to come though hopefully:

"Core94, RANDOMIZED REGIONS AND THEIR FLORA/FAUNA, (Future): The current good/evil regions should be scrapped and replaced by a system that aligns a region to varying degrees with a set of spheres. In this way you could end up with a desert where the stones sing or a forest where the trees bleed, with all sorts of randomly generated creatures and plants that are appropriate to the sphere settings..."

Walking trees are also semi-planned for elven sites at some point, as they existed in a pre-alpha build (or some such).

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3657 on: October 03, 2012, 12:23:58 am »

With the inclusion of towns and cities being sieged by goblins. in the future will we see structures such as bell towers designed to alert the locals of attacks, and if so will we ever be able to warn a town of a attack and be marked as a hero for helping, or other alternatives such as mocked/disbelieved, or have a penalty applied to "crying wolf" 
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #3658 on: October 03, 2012, 02:29:21 am »

An official tileset would just amount to Toady saying "okay, this one's official now" and bundling it with the game; something there's really not much point to.

The existence of LNP proves the opposite in my opinion. Since LNP exists, what point is there in making it redundant?

Because it suffers same issues as "mandatory" utilities? Of people waiting for LNP to be ready instead of getting vanilla (And in turn, LNP waiting for dfhack, therapist or mod updates ... and if compatibility breaks between versions, that can take some time).

Why does not Toady provide API? Because he does not want to be constrained in development by it. I think that those 3rd party things constrain him anyway, in a way.

Goal of making them redundant (and thus obsolete) is good one.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3659 on: October 03, 2012, 04:27:45 am »

Because it suffers same issues as "mandatory" utilities? Of people waiting for LNP to be ready instead of getting vanilla (And in turn, LNP waiting for dfhack, therapist or mod updates ... and if compatibility breaks between versions, that can take some time).
That's only part of the issue of mandatory utilities. The other issue is that mandatory utilities fill a need which is already fulfilled (in other words, they're needless) and the final issue is that it uses Toady's time which could better be spent on things we don't already have.

Why does not Toady provide API? Because he does not want to be constrained in development by it. I think that those 3rd party things constrain him anyway, in a way.
More than that I think he just doesn't care to bother maintaining something like that. It's not like an API would be inherently constraining, beyond that it would just require more work to keep in line with the majority of the game.

Goal of making them redundant (and thus obsolete) is good one.
A proper API might be handy to modders, but the DFhack system works fine now. As for other things, the one obsolete wouldn't be the currently existing things. Rather, the new redundant "official" version would be inferior - it can't help but be, being much newer - and thus it would be "obsolete" from the get-go.

Anyway, what I'm getting from this is that you want Toady to develop official utilities as a big middle finger to the fans who have been developing utilities all along. I guess if your dislike for people who enjoy DF in a way different from your own is that strong, I can't sway you from your opinion. But I will certainly continue to disagree with it.
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 748