Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3809945 times)

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3525 on: September 25, 2012, 06:43:20 am »

Yeah, true enough, and it's not my place to hose down anyone's effusiveness but we must keep in mind that the Toad is a limited resource.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3526 on: September 25, 2012, 06:57:52 am »

Reading the Dev Post probbly not a bad idea either.

Lookin at you zwei! 8b
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #3527 on: September 25, 2012, 08:24:07 am »

Reading the Dev Post probbly not a bad idea either.

Lookin at you zwei! 8b

I thought we would be getting normal aboveground mushrooms now that there would be proper forests...

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3528 on: September 25, 2012, 11:04:08 am »

With the new climbing mechanics are we going to see cave spiders climbing cave walls?

What happens when you cause the part of the ground the tree rests upon to cave in? Does the tree remain intact?

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3529 on: September 25, 2012, 03:27:54 pm »

What happens when you cause the part of the ground the tree rests upon to cave in? Does the tree remain intact?
Isn't obvious? This will happen: tree wil be intact. Tree will fall only if last support will be cut, like any other cave-in in current DF physics.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3530 on: September 25, 2012, 03:40:44 pm »

That's what one hopes would happen. But with tangled canopies it might be possible for a tree to be prevented from falling by its holding on to a nearby tree.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3531 on: September 25, 2012, 04:00:53 pm »

And elven retreats creating fortified walls by having perimeter trees hugging each other!!

In all seriousness though, interractions with  branch collisions is a valid question for logging purposes.

O11O1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3532 on: September 27, 2012, 08:59:05 am »

Ooooh, new leaf pictures coming soon?
A slight smell of ions.....

... "My student guidance counselor said my personality test results came back, and my ideal career is as a brigand because I love hurting people and stealing stuff, with a Life Goal of killing 3 or 4 adventurers" ...

GrizzleBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3533 on: September 27, 2012, 05:05:34 pm »

maybe the elves with have a giant sacred tree like in avatar or fern gully... and will get really upset if someone cut it down...mwahaha

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3534 on: September 28, 2012, 09:01:58 am »

am i the only one who is bothered by the huge amount of 3x3 wide trunks? wasnt word-of-toad something along the lines of a tile being 2x2x3[m]? where do you guys live to not notice a 9m or 12m high tree being 6m wide? at least ive never seen something like that in person(maybe except on pictures of baobabs), and ive been in a lot of forests all around the old world.
shouldnt nearly all trees never be more than one tile wide, with 2x2 already being huge and 3x3 being extraordinary exceptions?(excluding jungle biomes, but keep in mind the height needs to be like at least 30 times the width)

are the proportions of the trees weve seen so far already the desired picture or are tile dimensions yet to be applied for the trees to be what you want them to be?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3535 on: September 28, 2012, 09:36:24 am »

ToadyOne has never stated the dimensions of a tile. Tile volume is ambiguous, and only has certain volume in certain context.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #3536 on: September 28, 2012, 10:00:23 am »

Eux0r does have a point though, they may look strange going through a visualizer. Plus, there is a realism aspect to it. Living on the east coast of the United States I can say that I have seen many old forests with trees (pines I believe?) that are incredibly high, yet have a trunk no larger than two feet in diameter. Since we haven't heard much on variety it may be getting worked on now. It would be neat to have short and stocky trees in the savanna, tall and slender trees in pine forests, and massive trees for on dimensions in both tropical and temperate rainforest.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3537 on: September 28, 2012, 10:12:29 am »

I've estimated 2.5 x 2.5 feet for width and length, 6.25 feet tall, counting the "ceiling". That accounts for the amount of reach a creatue has and importantly the amount of water that can fit into a single tile.
Using those numbers, you can usually get realistic numbers for most situations. Except dragon stacking, but that's unfinished right now anway.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3538 on: September 28, 2012, 10:50:50 am »

ToadyOne has never stated the dimensions of a tile. Tile volume is ambiguous, and only has certain volume in certain context.
this is a quote from nwkohaku, who in the middle of a discussion about tile sizes pulled out a good toady quote:
Spoiler: Regarding tile size (click to show/hide)

the point where i entered that discussion(easier and quicker to find for me than the actual beginning, which probably isnt very far away, but im lazy):
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=100851.msg3246864#msg3246864

i think 2.5feet are close to 1m in non-stupid-units? then this is pretty much what my standpoint in that discussion was. those 2m, as far as i remember without rereading everything, were the compromise we could agree on accepting at the end of the discussion. at least when i see tiles i instantly think "2m x 2m x 3m", i pretty much forgot everything surrounding that thought.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3539 on: September 28, 2012, 11:52:33 am »

I believe there was something regarding minecart physics in which context tiles have some sort of dimension. Maybe I can find that...
Ah, yes. It's a bit newer than Kohaku's Toady quote, but similar in the dimensions.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyway, for the time being I assume that part of the problem is the mention of " crowns hitting other artificial boundaries". It's probably not everything, though.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 748