Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3809955 times)

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3510 on: September 24, 2012, 05:29:59 pm »

Hadn't really noticed the tiles until it got pointed out.  Not too bad, really.  Would love to see how Toady handles it.

I'm thinking the trees individualization he hints at will probably have to include determinant size (by mass?  Number of branches?) that vary by species, or group.  That would lead to interresting variation in forrests.

Related to that, will be things like the tower caps and fungi wood.  They may have smaller determinant sizes because of their subterranean environment.  Also, the cavern size itself will be an external determining factor of a given tree's growth potential.  The solution for cavern tree farms is obvious: multi-z-level channel clearing for tree growth areas.

I'm not sure if "Balancing" is the forefront question for these trees as much as what changes to the harvested product are we going to see.  Will we have Fir Branches that are harvested from the extremeties of the specimen that are good for small crafts, arrows, charcoal, etc. and Fir Logs that are for larger furniture, wall building, etc.?  That may even be greenable.  If this is the case, I could in some ways seeing this as self-balancing, where you'd get just as much of the good stuff as we'd gotten before for the things that need large wood (beds, doors), and a great deal of the smaller stuff, the "Energy Forrest" type of product for smaller craft and energy needs, i.e. charcoal.

Toady, is partial cutting (pollarding) of a tree going to be possible?  If tree-topping of this sort is possible, will the tree continue to grow?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3511 on: September 24, 2012, 05:31:49 pm »

Not sure if this has been asked yet, but what are the ideas for the new kobold sites?

Toady will probably answer this in an upcoming devlog. My idea is either an outside fortification with trenches and wooden walls, or a fortified cave. The new trees could allow kobolds to establish a quick and dirty camp in a forest : D. I also think kobolds should have caches for storing items.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3512 on: September 24, 2012, 05:50:15 pm »

Will current saves be compatible with the new version? If so, will we get the new sites/trees?

I highly, highly doubt that the next version will be save compatible, mostly because of issues with the combat overhaul likely definitely changing the weapon and likely changing creature attack raws.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3513 on: September 24, 2012, 09:13:19 pm »

Will trees be affected by the wind/weather/storms?

Phlum

• Bay Watcher
  • Above Is my true form, no mortal shall see it!
    • View Profile
    • Idontwanttowork
« Reply #3514 on: September 24, 2012, 09:32:52 pm »

How will cutting these trees work, will it work sort of like the de-construction of walls? Will they fall over? Not with a silly cave-in message I'm shure!
So I have spoken, may this thread live long!!

I don't share my age online, no one takes horny 14 year olds seriously.

"dwarf fortress is autism in a game"  -a guy named rick

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3515 on: September 24, 2012, 10:43:29 pm »

I'll also be curious to see how undermining trees affects them as well.  And what difficulties will tree roots pose to mining out/farming the soil layer.  I think we'll be getting this kind of detail in forthcoming  devlogs though.

Pure Speculation:
Undermining trees and killing thier root structure will cause trees to die within one year.
Dead tree will fall down in 1 - 3 years, chances increased with "weather events".
Dead fall trees do not count against silly Elven Diplomacy.
Burn the dead fall out of spite and cut down living trees anyway JUST TO PISS THEM OFF!!!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3516 on: September 24, 2012, 11:51:19 pm »

However, at the same time, starting in a 1000 year old redwood forest sounds particularly attractive, just because of how you'd be able to tell the age of the trees by size, and the world would feel old with that knowledge. Then again... that would be roughly 30+ z's high, and six tiles or so across.
If we get trees like that, it would be worth making an elf-style fortress.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: September 24, 2012, 11:54:54 pm »

However, at the same time, starting in a 1000 year old redwood forest sounds particularly attractive, just because of how you'd be able to tell the age of the trees by size, and the world would feel old with that knowledge. Then again... that would be roughly 30+ z's high, and six tiles or so across.
If we get trees like that, it would be worth making an elf-style fortress.
That won't stop me from being the first person with a giant forest burning all at once.

But I agree. It will be interesting to note whether we can build on trees, and whether material will mater. I imagine He may have to rehash part of the cave-in code. More likely. he;ll just prevent us from doing anything, and leave the climbing to certain branches, I.e. dwarves won't go on branches that will collapse. More interesting though, s whether or not I can station a marksquad in a tree.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: September 25, 2012, 02:53:51 am »

Hunting elves in Adventure mode got just more well complicated. "Vertical ambush" sounds like something really nasty.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: September 25, 2012, 03:25:19 am »

There's also a question about how much foliage restricts LOS. Perhaps leaves should, but branches not? I don't know.

All the more reason to cut them down!

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: September 25, 2012, 03:42:39 am »

Another tree growth and wood industry question.

With trees presumably taking longer to grow will things like coppicing and other tree management be possible? Also what impact will this have on tree growth?

Related:

In what ways do you plan on players being able to influence tree growth? Bonsai trees being an extreme example of what I mean.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #3521 on: September 25, 2012, 04:24:28 am »

So, what about underground "trees"? They are in much more vertically restricted environments... will they be also updated to be multitile, or will they stay in  their current simpler form?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: September 25, 2012, 04:33:42 am »

So, what about underground "trees"? They are in much more vertically restricted environments... will they be also updated to be multitile, or will they stay in  their current simpler form?
They'll get updated.
The main features here'll be multi-tile trees (including roots and properly-sized mushrooms)
...I'll be expanding the parameters and pictures soon (for pines, saguaros, tower caps, etc).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3523 on: September 25, 2012, 06:07:15 am »

Guys, you need to read each others green questions. There's a lot of repetition.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: September 25, 2012, 06:09:39 am »

Guys, you need to read each others green questions. There's a lot of repetition.
Its a indicater of the level of excitement. Only in Dwarf Fortress is anyone excited by the prospect of more realistic trees.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 748