Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3809833 times)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3465 on: September 24, 2012, 06:01:43 am »

cute as a hammerhead shark! the cutest of fish after the cuttlefish

Kappas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3466 on: September 24, 2012, 07:32:53 am »

So tell me palls, does this mean we get tree eating, aka browsing anytime around this release? Elephants, pandas etc.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3467 on: September 24, 2012, 07:41:47 am »

Will the update to trees also include dangerous plants like giant fly-traps and strangling vines?
Those don't quite fit the things Toady mentioned in the dev-log ("multi-tile trees (including roots and properly-sized mushrooms), fruit, flowers, climbing and jumping"), so it is unlikely. Not impossible, but unlikely.

Mostly because that requires a plant rewrite and creature rewrite AND combat rewrite.

Afterall stationary creatures arn't... really dangerous in Dwarf Fortress as they are right now.
I dont know if they would require actual rewrites to any of those systems. Depending on how its done, it may need the game to understand what having  Reach is, and that goes into the fogginess of what a tile dimension again.

So tell me palls, does this mean we get tree eating, aka browsing anytime around this release? Elephants, pandas etc.
No real hint that that ToadyOne is going to be doing this. I dont see having multi tile trees adds pressure for them being added. We could have had browsing animals with the foliage as it was before. And there some animals which couldnt actually browse well at all, because their poorly represented by the game. (Like the giraffe.)

And I do think that this would be actual feature creep, as I dont think it it actually adds anything to the world being more alive.

Since you've talked about grass under the tree cover should be dry, doe s this mean we'll be seeing a change to say under growth and forest debris? Will this impact forest fires?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 07:48:49 am by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3468 on: September 24, 2012, 07:57:16 am »

When you say "it can all be changed in the raws" do you mean the graphical representation only or the growth parameters as well?
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3469 on: September 24, 2012, 08:26:53 am »

Will dwarves be capable of chopping down select portions of tree trunks, rather than chopping the entire tree down at once?

Assuming they don't decompose into logs like constructions when left without a support: will trees fall to the side, or use the current physics code and fall straight down? If the latter, will this create a cave-in effect? ("A section of the cavern has collapsed!")
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Alu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3470 on: September 24, 2012, 09:42:28 am »

You mentioned working on tree-growing, does that imply they'll be able to grow bigger than just one z-level at some point?
"He admired a wonderful Trap lately"

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3471 on: September 24, 2012, 09:43:22 am »

You mentioned working on tree-growing, does that imply they'll be able to grow bigger than just one z-level at some point?
Well, if you take a gander at the pictures that ToadyOne posted. You'll see that the tree grow to several z levels high.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3472 on: September 24, 2012, 10:09:22 am »

That's sixteen beard-decades tall!
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3473 on: September 24, 2012, 10:15:00 am »

beard-decades! genious!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3474 on: September 24, 2012, 10:21:39 am »

I wonder if the procedural tree growth calculations will impact FPS in world gen and ingame.

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3475 on: September 24, 2012, 10:29:09 am »

I wonder if the procedural tree growth calculations will impact FPS in world gen and ingame.

As far as I know most local land features aren't actually calculated until you arrive there, so it probably won't affect worldgen. Embarking might be a little slower, and there might be a little blip at whatever period the trees grow, but once you're on the local level there won't be that many trees to calculate.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3476 on: September 24, 2012, 11:11:07 am »

If trees are multitile, will other things start appearing multitiled?  Like say giant sperm whales?  Will space discrepancies start dissappearing (the bronze collossus who uses dwarven stairs w/no issues?)
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3477 on: September 24, 2012, 11:50:45 am »

When you say it can all be changed in the raws, does that extend to the tiles that are used to represent certain parts of the tree? I'm down with what you've got there mostly, but the "1/4"s are distracting, being readable numbers thrown into the mix like that. I think it's because number tiles have been otherwise reserved for fluid levels.

Apologies if this is a basic modding venture or something; I'm not talking about a tileset; I play vanilla ASCII. I just want to swap out one tree part tile for another so that I can look at the trees without going "one fourth, one fourth, one fourth..." in my head all the time.

Can someone else answer this question before Toady gets to it, maybe?
Felt like it was still appropriate to green, since it's asking about the extent of a statement he made in the devlog.

EDIT: Ouch, those 48x48s really do stick out, don't they? Here's hoping that gets sorted ... it drove me crazy when the Elven Retreats on the worldgen map would lay themselves out in a very inorganic-looking grid like that.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 11:59:18 am by Torchy »

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3478 on: September 24, 2012, 12:31:52 pm »

Loving the trees so far, especially the ground level view where the "shade" of the trees is visible.  Also loved that the trees seemed to line the banks of the river in a natural looking fashion.  Some of those bad boys are going to create large blindspots for adventurers, forests could be pretty scary!
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3479 on: September 24, 2012, 12:36:59 pm »

As far as I know most local land features aren't actually calculated until you arrive there, so it probably won't affect worldgen. Embarking might be a little slower, and there might be a little blip at whatever period the trees grow, but once you're on the local level there won't be that many trees to calculate.

You are right about world gen, I had forgot about that. But what about a woodland embark? That growth would be continuous, because if you cut the trees they should grow again, using the same algorithms. Even if you didn't cut them, they should still continuously grow.
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 748