Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3809943 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3330 on: September 17, 2012, 12:39:38 am »

What exactly is meant by fortress maps?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3331 on: September 17, 2012, 01:14:09 am »

We're going to get Elf Sites, Goblin Sites and Dwarf Sites this release. By Fort Maps, I'm pretty sure that ToadyOne means dwarf fortresses.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: September 17, 2012, 07:14:17 am »

With the addition of sites for other races--including those troll-shearing pits and other economic buildings--are we going to see some more fleshed-out out-of-the-box playability in vanilla DF for the non-dwarf races in fortress mode a la Kobold Camp?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3333 on: September 17, 2012, 12:18:19 pm »

We're going to get Elf Sites, Goblin Sites and Dwarf Sites this release. By Fort Maps, I'm pretty sure that ToadyOne means dwarf fortresses.

Except Goblins also live in Fortresses.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: September 17, 2012, 12:37:40 pm »

Given the context (bringing a dwarf's abducted children home), dwarven mountain halls. Which we kind of knew, but I guess we didn't quite have confirmation that they would get in with this release. What's a bit more interesting is the mention of a dwarven duchess, considering that currently, the landed nobles of fortress mode aren't generated in world gen that I've seen. I guess activating that was part of some previous work (the claims, perhaps?).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: September 17, 2012, 01:58:27 pm »

Will NPC adventurers ever bring back abducted kids to player forts?

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #3336 on: September 17, 2012, 02:38:19 pm »

Ohoho, I should've thought of that too. Would be awesome, myes. I can even imagine NPC adventurer going on mass killings in the future or spontaneously becoming genocidal to a specific species or race!

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3337 on: September 17, 2012, 02:42:30 pm »

I may as well ask this :P

Will adventures be able to claim forts as concurred sites? ( replaces "give into starvation" with "claim fortress" or something if enough of the population has fallen compared to your group. ) and that site becoming part of your civilization.
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: September 17, 2012, 05:20:50 pm »

Haha, I was about to ask if that will be in once we have inns.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

O11O1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: September 17, 2012, 06:16:27 pm »

Ooooh, and maybe onc we get to tavern times, we can hire adventurers of our own, and sell them equipment.

Of course, sometimes they'll die and then the goblins come back to you with dwarven-made gear...
A slight smell of ions.....

... "My student guidance counselor said my personality test results came back, and my ideal career is as a brigand because I love hurting people and stealing stuff, with a Life Goal of killing 3 or 4 adventurers" ...

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3340 on: September 18, 2012, 06:29:57 am »

I feel a feature creep coming up...
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3341 on: September 18, 2012, 06:34:21 am »

How is that a feature creep?

And the answer, is probably, a yea. NPC Adventures will be able to do Quest for your Dorf Fort, but I dont think anything been explicitly stated on this, but it doesnt seem to be an unreasonable ability for Forts to do so, especially once their interacting with the outside world, and NPC that are Not Trading and Not Invading can actually access your site. When? I dont know. ToadyOne and Times Lines aren't compatible.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: September 18, 2012, 06:50:38 am »

How is that a feature creep?

And the answer, is probably, a yea. NPC Adventures will be able to do Quest for your Dorf Fort, but I dont think anything been explicitly stated on this, but it doesnt seem to be an unreasonable ability for Forts to do so, especially once their interacting with the outside world, and NPC that are Not Trading and Not Invading can actually access your site. When? I dont know. ToadyOne and Times Lines aren't compatible.

If we want Fortress Mode, Adventure Mode and World Gen to be closer linked (which is kind of the point of this batch of releases), then abducted children should also be able to be brought back to your fortress. However, to bring back these abducted children we will need travelling adventurers in Fortress Mode. However, if we want travelling adventurers in Fortress Mode we will need taverns and inns. And to make these taverns more lively, we will need working instruments, etc.
This won't happen if Toady doesn't let abducted children be brought back in Fortress Mode yet, but I could still easily see this slipping into a feature creep.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3343 on: September 18, 2012, 11:30:33 am »

Hopefully rescuing prisoners will be added to the list of quests people can offer you. It would be great to finally have a quest that isn't "Go there, kill that guy."

Now, NPC adventurers already do quest-like things in worldgen, confronting monsters and bandits and such. I don't know if that makes use of the questing functionality or if it's something else... but if it does work that way, and recovering prisoners becomes a quest, then NPCs will almost certainly start doing exactly that.

Which makes me think. Prisoners can also be taken in war, not just by babysnatchers, right? It would be incredible to talk to a friendly goblin leader and have them ask you to rescue their demonic law-giver from the humans.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #3344 on: September 18, 2012, 03:39:11 pm »

Hopefully rescuing prisoners will be added to the list of quests people can offer you. It would be great to finally have a quest that isn't "Go there, kill that guy."
You forgot " Go thataway, this guy there will tell you to go someplace else and kill someone.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 748