Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3810067 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3285 on: September 09, 2012, 11:27:11 pm »

Not mine. Mine are 2x2 sorta apartment complexes, unless a larger wave gets me then there 2x2 bedrooms everywhere.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3286 on: September 10, 2012, 12:00:32 am »

Does the picture in the devlog remind anyone else of their usual early bedroom setup?

Heh, looks like my later bedroom setup, even.   ;)
Once those gobbos get beds and furniture, I think my dwarves would mutiny at the first hint of a siege.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #3287 on: September 10, 2012, 03:31:16 am »

I am not even a big fan of DF adventurer mode, as I very rarely played it. But even so, every new devlog these days is just a joy to read.

Then again, I always enjoy reading devlogs.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3288 on: September 10, 2012, 05:20:02 am »

I'm not sure if that has been asked before, and the search function didn't find anything, so:
Does/Did/Will the fortress designs of the community you saw through screenshots/dfma/discussions influence Goblin/Human/Dwarven sites in one way or another?
Are you even exposed to these?

Of course some designs tend to be "gamey" and are sometimes adapted to game mechanics (defense, stuff that improves FPS); but other times they tend to be interesting and nice. Bedrooms and dining halls, for example. And some fortresses have great industrial complexes.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3289 on: September 10, 2012, 06:08:22 am »

I'm not sure if that has been asked before, and the search function didn't find anything, so:
Does/Did/Will the fortress designs of the community you saw through screenshots/dfma/discussions influence Goblin/Human/Dwarven sites in one way or another?
Are you even exposed to these?

Of course some designs tend to be "gamey" and are sometimes adapted to game mechanics (defense, stuff that improves FPS); but other times they tend to be interesting and nice. Bedrooms and dining halls, for example. And some fortresses have great industrial complexes.
The answer is yes. At least toward Dorf Forts. ToadyOne has stated that a goal with Dorf Sites is that they mimic something closer to what players actually make.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3290 on: September 10, 2012, 08:34:11 am »

I noticed the "To Jobs" text in the picture he posted on the devlog, and wondered if this meant Toady is going to implement town jobs. I ran a few searches in the this thread for a similar question, but didn't come up with anything.

Are people in towns going to have jobs in the next release, as it appears goblins will? Or will they continue to stand idly in their houses?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3291 on: September 10, 2012, 09:18:23 am »

I noticed the "To Jobs" text in the picture he posted on the devlog, and wondered if this meant Toady is going to implement town jobs. I ran a few searches in the this thread for a similar question, but didn't come up with anything.

Are people in towns going to have jobs in the next release, as it appears goblins will? Or will they continue to stand idly in their houses?

Obviously the humans we see are not members of the proletariat.  They are the bourgeois overlords of the enslaved proletariat, living fat on the spoils of other's labor.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3292 on: September 10, 2012, 12:50:26 pm »

Obviously the humans we see are not members of the proletariat.  They are the bourgeois overlords of the enslaved proletariat, living fat on the spoils of other's labor.
Lol, of course, now explain their job titles: "Farmer" "Shearer" "Fisherdwarf" "Mason", etc.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3293 on: September 10, 2012, 01:59:09 pm »

Cause they didnt stop at enslaving them, they drank their soul and took over their name, that's how this evil bourgeoisie get reborn every time you slaughter them.
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3294 on: September 10, 2012, 02:09:59 pm »

I'm not sure about you guys, but this is how I prefer to build bedrooms.

Spoiler: Large image, ahoy! (click to show/hide)

Note: It's still under construction.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3295 on: September 10, 2012, 02:34:33 pm »

Why is that saved as a gif? That's like the worst filetype to save it as.

try png next time.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3296 on: September 10, 2012, 02:37:47 pm »

Why is that saved as a gif? That's like the worst filetype to save it as.

try png next time.
Sorry. Used to saving things as gifs for work. Will brain next time.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3297 on: September 10, 2012, 04:12:27 pm »

It seems odd to me that we wouldn't know this, but I can't seem to recall any info on this topic. If it's merely slipped my mind and someone else could answer this that would be grand, but I suspect even if there's something I missed there's a lot more we could be told here.

How do attacks from a stealth situation work? In other words, if you sneak up behind a goblin and then aerate his kidneys, what happens? Do you get improved attack opportunities like with unconscious targets? Does the goblin (or your attack) make a sound that could be heard by other goblins, and if so is it effected by the Ambusher (or another) skill?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 05:03:52 am by Cruxador »

[NO_THOUGHT]

• Bay Watcher
  • *cricket*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3298 on: September 10, 2012, 05:53:59 pm »

Off the current vein of conversation, I was looking at all the dev log things before where there was the calculations of minecarts and positions of characters relative to them and tracks and ledges, following trajectories and the like. My question is:

How tightly bound is the DF world to a grid? Is it actually a floating point position based world displayed through a grid, or is it more so connected to the grid on a mathematical level. If it isn't bound by the grid are they any current considerations to alter game displays in that direction?

I would expect with all the calculations for the entities they would be floating point, but walls and floors and other items might have a 1 tile presence or less than.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3299 on: September 10, 2012, 06:01:27 pm »

Off the current vein of conversation, I was looking at all the dev log things before where there was the calculations of minecarts and positions of characters relative to them and tracks and ledges, following trajectories and the like. My question is:

How tightly bound is the DF world to a grid? Is it actually a floating point position based world displayed through a grid, or is it more so connected to the grid on a mathematical level. If it isn't bound by the grid are they any current considerations to alter game displays in that direction?

I would expect with all the calculations for the entities they would be floating point, but walls and floors and other items might have a 1 tile presence or less than.

It's all grids. Grids grids grids. Creatures occupy a full tile. Any arbitrary amount x of creatures can occupy a tile so long as x-1 creatures are lying down on it, etc.
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 748