Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3810220 times)

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3225 on: September 05, 2012, 11:21:42 am »

I know this gets thrown around a lot, but the next version will be awesome.  Why?  Because all those awesome things that went in over the last 2 years will finally get to showcase themselves.  I look forward to killing off all the bandits and night creatures near my home town and then going for an invasion of the nearby goblin fortress. 8)
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3226 on: September 05, 2012, 02:36:30 pm »

The description reminds me a lot of Isengard in the LOTR films.

Awesome. Should be fun to explore.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: September 05, 2012, 02:37:28 pm »

I had that same exact thought.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: September 05, 2012, 02:47:16 pm »

I had that same exact thought.
Ditto.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #3229 on: September 05, 2012, 03:08:00 pm »

I know this gets thrown around a lot, but the next version will be awesome.  Why?  Because all those awesome things that went in over the last 2 years will finally get to showcase themselves.  I look forward to killing off all the bandits and night creatures near my home town and then going for an invasion of the nearby goblin fortress. 8)
Maybe if your fame gets big enough, then you can recruit a bunch of soldiers and throw them at the goblin tower.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3230 on: September 05, 2012, 03:26:21 pm »

Shame you can no linger embark on sites, it'd be pretty cool looking at the new site designs in dwarf mode.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #3231 on: September 05, 2012, 03:33:27 pm »

Shame you can no linger embark on sites, it'd be pretty cool looking at the new site designs in dwarf mode.
Just put the EmbarkAnywhere program in your DF folder. Run it in site selection, and you can embark anywhere. 
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3232 on: September 05, 2012, 03:36:18 pm »

Inside dark fortresses will we find captive children to free? Will we receive quests where someones child has been kidnapped by goblins and we must rescue them?

I doubt that this would be to hard to implement as we already see and can free prisoners in game. I think it would make for very interesting quests.

That would be pretty perfect--it's practically built-in already with quest-givers, motivations, and quest-objectives.  It would be especially cool if with time lost children grew to see the goblins more as rescuers than captors, and might have to be convinced, coerced, or incapacitated and carried away to be rescued.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3233 on: September 05, 2012, 05:21:00 pm »

Inside dark fortresses will we find captive children to free? Will we receive quests where someones child has been kidnapped by goblins and we must rescue them?

I doubt that this would be to hard to implement as we already see and can free prisoners in game. I think it would make for very interesting quests.
I was about to ask this very question. Oh well.

Will the new goblin sites be vulnerable to attacks from Forgotten Beasts, and other cavern-based monsters? What sort of defenses will they have against them?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: September 05, 2012, 05:32:56 pm »

And then go right to exploring the underground. :D
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: September 05, 2012, 05:51:54 pm »

New devblog update!

In dark fortresses, will there be watch towers at the entrances to fortress in the cavern layers as well as on the surface?

Will goblins be able to attack your fortress from the cavern layers now?

I'm looking forward to seeing some screenshots of goblin fortresses.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3236 on: September 05, 2012, 09:11:37 pm »

I would very much like this to depend on the status/recentness of the capture, and the kidnapped one's personality. After all, once they consider themselves goblins, do they really want to leave? Maybe we could be given a quest from a bereaved parent to rescue a child only to discover that the child doesn't want to leave after all. That could trigger a decision that either you talk to the parent to describe the new situation, or rekidnap the child and bring them home.

But this is just me spitballing.

That'd be cool. It could use the domestication framework!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3237 on: September 05, 2012, 09:27:45 pm »

I'm gonna say thats kinda of the point for having their sites be actually fleshed out. So that adventures can go there and do things. And when Forts can send military units off map, they'll be able to rescue those kids too.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Gnarker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: September 05, 2012, 10:04:25 pm »

Will there be sickness and epidemics?

They are, after all, a great influence on history, as well as another great source of !FUN!
Also, (for some, perhaps, most importantly,) another gruesome way to kill goblins/elves. Yay for biological genocide.
Would propably have to be toggleable though.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3239 on: September 05, 2012, 11:29:32 pm »

Will there be sickness and epidemics?

They are, after all, a great influence on history, as well as another great source of !FUN!
Also, (for some, perhaps, most importantly,) another gruesome way to kill goblins/elves. Yay for biological genocide.
Would propably have to be toggleable though.
ToadyOne has talked about Sickness and Epidemics during some Dwarf Talk or in a Future of the Fortress answer dump. Its something he and ThreeToe are aware  that is a strong force in a world, but they dont seem to have a timeline yet for it. Right now the world wouldnt be able to handle an epidemic. They're still sorta confused about how to feed themselves.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 748