Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3810237 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3165 on: September 01, 2012, 04:32:03 pm »

We might be able to get underwater sites out to sea or in lakes in the next release. Is this going to be on the table in the near future or next release, given that you're dealing with sites now?
Unlikely. Until there is a need in the stock game for underwater sites, I wouldn't expect them to happen, and currently, there is no such need.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: September 01, 2012, 05:35:26 pm »

We might be able to get underwater sites out to sea or in lakes in the next release. Is this going to be on the table in the near future or next release, given that you're dealing with sites now?
Unlikely. Until there is a need in the stock game for underwater sites, I wouldn't expect them to happen, and currently, there is no such need.

Technically when the rest of the night creatures go in, there will. Those may just be underwater lairs, of course.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Calite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: September 01, 2012, 07:53:39 pm »

There's been discussion lately about efficiency, with claims that newer versions of the game surprisingly managed to stay just as efficient (if not get more efficient!) as new features are added. Is optimization done as the game is developed, and do you personally think the game is getting more or less efficient as development progresses?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: September 01, 2012, 07:58:02 pm »

You know what would be a great easter egg? if ToadyOne had some of the more impressive and or in/famous player created fortress show up in the vanilla game.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: September 01, 2012, 08:20:21 pm »

You know what would be a great easter egg? if ToadyOne had some of the more impressive and or in/famous player created fortress show up in the vanilla game.

and I am going to violently say no... no it wouldn't and I hope there never is a in game reference to it ever.

So much so I may actually stop playing Dwarf fortress and actually suggest others do the same.

O11O1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: September 01, 2012, 08:27:35 pm »

and I am going to violently say no... no it wouldn't and I hope there never is a in game reference to it ever.

So much so I may actually stop playing Dwarf fortress and actually suggest others do the same.

Now that seems rather more strong than you need to be talking about something like this. Yes, i understand that it wouldn't really improve the game all that much to be making references like that, but to start badmouthing the game seems a bit over the top to me.
A slight smell of ions.....

... "My student guidance counselor said my personality test results came back, and my ideal career is as a brigand because I love hurting people and stealing stuff, with a Life Goal of killing 3 or 4 adventurers" ...

snpaa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: September 01, 2012, 08:35:08 pm »

I have a question, how in the world will I be able to run dwarf fortress in the future if the whole world is gonna  come alive? 

Right now when I get a around to 160 dwarves that's usually when I dancing around fps death.

But now am I to be expected to be able to run that while simultaneously running 100's of thousands of creatures  with no problem?

If there's something Im seriously overlooking here let me know.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 08:38:42 pm by snpaa »

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: September 01, 2012, 08:37:43 pm »

I have a question, how in the world will I be able to run dwarf fortress in the future if the whole world is gonna  come alive? 

Right now when I get a around to 160 dwarves that's usually when I dancing around fps death.

But now am I to be expected to be able to run that while simultaneously running 100's of thousands of creatures  with no problem?

X amount of years of computer development? ^^

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: September 01, 2012, 08:42:53 pm »

You're not going to be running individual creatures.

snpaa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: September 01, 2012, 08:48:04 pm »

You're not going to be running individual creatures.

So how exactly does this work?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: September 01, 2012, 08:49:53 pm »

All those critters the game is simulating have much less in the way of a memory/CPU footprint than your own dorfs and creatures. They don't do much in the way of fancy pathfinding, they don't play with fluids, they make decisions much less frequently than your dwarves, so on and so forth. Further, it won't be "hundreds of thousands," it'll just be anyone of historical significance- decisionmakers like kings, generals, and mayors, rampaging beasts, bandit leaders, blah blah blah. All their minions can be abstracted until they interact with your fortress in some way- say, because the bandits decided to raid you, or a king decided to declare war on your king, or a megabeast heard rumor of your fantastic artifacts. Until they actually get on the map, they really just have to remember what they're doing and how long until they can do it.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: September 01, 2012, 09:15:48 pm »

How tall can we expect multi-tile trees to be?

It wouldn't make over-much difference ingame, but with visualizers having vertically squished trees would look odd.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: September 01, 2012, 09:27:02 pm »

if anything is going to be hit performance wise, it's going to be world generation. the world will iterate at most once per season, and probably only once per year

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: September 02, 2012, 12:14:56 am »

We might be able to get underwater sites out to sea or in lakes in the next release.Is this going to be on the table in the near future or next release, given that you're dealing with sites now?

I always wondered if the Ocean-biome titans you can see in Legends are actually out there wandering in the sea, and maybe in fact actually have Shrines placed somewhere out there - there's no way to go over ocean tiles in the Travel screen using modding, is there? I know Mountain tiles remain impassable even if your adventurer can fly; I assume Ocean is the same, but I wonder if that's hardcoded or can be changed. If it isn't ... I'd be tempted to take an adventurer out fast-traveling over an ocean biome and see if I don't stumble over a Titan Shrine sitting somewhere on the seafloor.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #3179 on: September 02, 2012, 02:09:04 am »

Oh.

Oooohhhhhh.

OOOOHH MY!

^My reaction reading new monthly report. Forgot to do this yesterday and this is what I get.

Quite splendid, thank you. I'd ask questions, but right now I am to surprised to even think straight.

This'll involve some fort mode changes as well (most notably with trees when I get to the elves).
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 02:11:29 am by Sinistar »
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 748