Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3810250 times)

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3150 on: September 01, 2012, 08:31:47 am »

We're getting multi-tile trees! I wonder what the ascii will look like.
Finally! All the sites are getting fixed. Now I'll definitely need to regen when the new version comes out.
What? Toady said anything only about goblin sites.

Oh, and BTW see ya in half of year. Maybe next version will be almost done by then.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=115747.0 Here ya go

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: September 01, 2012, 08:53:16 am »

Oh. I seen only devlog on main page. Okay, then see ya in year. ;p
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: September 01, 2012, 09:00:56 am »

Oh. I seen only devlog on main page. Okay, then see ya in year. ;p

In the last big release the towns got mostly done in about a month. It was the night creatures and interaction rewrite that took most of the time. So I would guess 8 months (1 month for each race plus an equal ammount of time for bugfixing)

Taxus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: September 01, 2012, 10:04:46 am »

Due to the all-encompassing nature of this release, we have decided it is time to tackle the goblin/elf/dwarf/kobold sites and do them all.

Sweet!! This is going to be epic! I am definitely willing to settle back for months of amazing dev logs, then the big reveal.

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: September 01, 2012, 10:15:08 am »

looks like DF 2013: Activated Edition is on its way.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: September 01, 2012, 10:32:03 am »

In the last big release the towns got mostly done in about a month. It was the night creatures and interaction rewrite that took most of the time. So I would guess 8 months (1 month for each race plus an equal ammount of time for bugfixing)
It was really closer to at least two or three months on the whole, though the latter estimate includes things like the travel map. We'll see how fast it goes, I suppose.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: September 01, 2012, 11:05:12 am »

So, am I reading this correctly? Multi-tile trees?
Will we see tree felling accidents?
Will there be animals that use the trees? I.e.: will we able to see bear claw marks or broken off twigs on the ground (in regards to the tracking stuff)? will birds have nests in trees? Bees making their hives in trees? Will large ones leave multi tile roots underground? Fallen leaves in autumn that can be collected as fertilizer?

Oh man, my mouth is already watering.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

wilsonns

• Bay Watcher
  • Golden hair?Green eyes?Spiky beard?Super Dorf Jin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: September 01, 2012, 12:44:45 pm »

I'm pretty sure that logging will be much like mining. The tress will be like the caverns and mountains. You'll only be able to see the exposed faces and the faces adjacent to felled tiles.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: September 01, 2012, 01:18:54 pm »

Huh, I was always expecting elf trees to simply be magical and thus grow larger and into some sort or dwelling while normal trees would remain the same.

Well let's not get pessimistic about this release. The human cities had a huge amount of work go into them because they needed to have a vast amount of research consolidated into one design. Elves should be alright as they are minimalistic by nature, the big problem there is the multi-tile trees. Maybe a gathering hall, a large tree-palace for royalty, etc. Dwarves I can see being a problem, but a very fun problem now that we have minecarts. Demon and goblin sites I have no idea about, but it seems like a non-negligible amount of progress has been made already. 

How will the dwarf sites be made? Will there be a few different preset shapes and sizes of room that are picked from based on the shape of the available space? Or will there be requirements like "Dining hall must be between X units by Y units and A units by B units for a site of population Z" allowing for more variety (and hilarious consequences)?
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3159 on: September 01, 2012, 02:42:43 pm »

Huh, I was always expecting elf trees to simply be magical and thus grow larger and into some sort or dwelling while normal trees would remain the same.
Toady has talked about multi-tile trees a lot before, he wants trees of a more realistic size everywhere there's forests. The current single tile trees are more what he'd want saplings to be.
How will the dwarf sites be made? Will there be a few different preset shapes and sizes of room that are picked from based on the shape of the available space? Or will there be requirements like "Dining hall must be between X units by Y units and A units by B units for a site of population Z" allowing for more variety (and hilarious consequences)?
Toady has said he wants to emulate player fortresses. Obviously, a computer's imitation of human behavior will never be near complete, but it's probably reasonable to guess that a dining room's size will be based on the number of dwarves, and will just be placed on a layer where it fits. I imagine if he's emulating players, z-levels will tend to be more or less specialized to a general purpose.

On a note related to timespans, it occurs to me that while doing NPC dwarf fortresses, Toady will likely want to implement multi-z veins and other geological improvements.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: September 01, 2012, 02:47:02 pm »

I imagine, now that he has the basics for large-scale constructed sites already in the game, modifying it to fit other races shouldn't be too horrendously difficult. Dwarven halls could use a modified version of the code that already generates things like dungeons and catacombs, goblin towers from human keeps and/or necromancer towers (or even just bring back the old awesome goblin towers). No idea about elves though; depends on how he wants to implement trees.

On a note related to timespans, it occurs to me that while doing NPC dwarf fortresses, Toady will likely want to implement multi-z veins and other geological improvements.
Oh, I do hope so.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Auning

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: September 01, 2012, 02:50:12 pm »

Since demons have sites, will all demons have their own sites that they inhabit, or will there still be law-makers, lords, and specifically, outcasts? In other words, will there still be a variety of possible ways for a demon to inhabit the world?
[DESCRIPTION:A horse-like creature susceptible to severed nerves when muscles are torn in limb, grasp and starting length are all the same.]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGG_YOLK:LIQUID]
[PUS:LOCAL_CREATURE:BIRD_ROC]

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: September 01, 2012, 03:11:10 pm »

Toady has said he wants to emulate player fortresses. Obviously, a computer's imitation of human behavior will never be near complete, but it's probably reasonable to guess that a dining room's size will be based on the number of dwarves, and will just be placed on a layer where it fits. I imagine if he's emulating players, z-levels will tend to be more or less specialized to a general purpose.

If he's going to emulate player fortresses, I hope that means children trapped in rooms with dogs, the nobility disappearing on an alarming basis (Urist McPlayer: Detective Inspector would make an awesome quest), and aqueducts that flood the countryside with magma at unpredictable intervals for no reason.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: September 01, 2012, 03:46:08 pm »

Since demons have sites, will all demons have their own sites that they inhabit, or will there still be law-makers, lords, and specifically, outcasts? In other words, will there still be a variety of possible ways for a demon to inhabit the world?

Toady said he was going to keep quiet about the HFS sites. My prediction is there are going to be a lot more of them and different forms of them too, perhaps even on the surface.

I think worldgen walls should go into the game with the sites. At the moment, we have roads, but we need better tunnels, and we don't have worldgen walls.

With elf sites and the multi-tile trees, we could get trees growing and undermining constructions and perhaps causing damage underground. Yes, this happens in real life, and doesn't seem unreasonable to add to dwarf fortress.

We might be able to get underwater sites out to sea or in lakes in the next release. Is this going to be on the table in the near future or next release, given that you're dealing with sites now?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: September 01, 2012, 03:52:30 pm »

With elf sites and the multi-tile trees, we could get trees growing and undermining constructions and perhaps causing damage underground. Yes, this happens in real life, and doesn't seem unreasonable to add to dwarf fortress.

AFAIK surface tree won't grow in tiles that's been mined out under. Not saying that'll stay the same but there're that.
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 748