Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3763935 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3045 on: August 22, 2012, 12:41:16 am »

Oogie oogie oogie paloooo

Discuss

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: August 22, 2012, 12:43:53 am »

Oogie appears to be a startingly common name for babies. Why do parents hate their young so?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: August 22, 2012, 01:12:05 am »

Thanks to DF I'm beginning to see other games I thoroughly enjoyed in the past with a gaze of contempt.

I would love to see these new "claim" mechanics to apply also in fortresses, but as Toady said a few posts back, it would need a critical rework of the dwarven brain and the way other critters interact with a fortress.

Well, now with a couple of questions, because maybe I'm missing someting but in the next release we won't see the "Service" interaction in our adventures anymore, I'm afraid, now that we can ask the townsfolk about recent events and whatnot. How are we going to measure our deeds? Interests will still be global among entities, like being a worldwide hero due to a few local kills? How can we make sure that we're dealing with the right entity as soon as we're about to claim our 'reward'?

The last question is paired with the assumption that sites, now that they're going to be claimed by multiple (and even conflictive) entities, might contain groups of people that could give you an umprompted beating in response of your meddling in local affairs. Lets say that you arrive to a town near a former-hamlet-now-debris&gore, where you're told that X goblin entity made it; you manage to murder the entire goblin entity, and back in the town you enter to a house populated by bandits, who were also enemies of the (majority of the) hamlet. Will they despise you for helping an enemy? Can bandits and goblin be somehow 'allies' if they share some common goals, or are we not that into AI yet?

Sorry if my questions are horribly messy, but I'm getting truly excited while imagining where this is going.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: August 22, 2012, 03:23:50 am »

How are we going to measure our deeds? Interests will still be global among entities, like being a worldwide hero due to a few local kills?
Well, Reputation System is suppose to help your deeds be accountable. Seems like ToadyOne is going for a pretty scalable system.

Will they despise you for helping an enemy? Can bandits and goblin be somehow 'allies' if they share some common goals, or are we not that into AI yet?

They'll probably eventually hate you, once they understanding that you're working at cross purposes for them.

Bandits seem to be turing into more of an occupation then into a particular kind of mob. So goblins can be bandits. And eventually there suppose to be some neat Diplomacy stuff happening between Entities. Such as being allies. So different bandit groups will probably be able to be allies together, eventually.  From how I understand it, any action or relationship that be formed between two countries, should be allowable with small groups. I dont know if ToadyOne will carry it down to individual relationships. But he's spoken about Clan Feuds and what not.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 07:53:21 pm by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3049 on: August 22, 2012, 07:30:57 am »

Every devlog that goes more into making DF a 'living' world excites me greatly!

I can't wait to play with (and interfere in) all the knew Entity site interactions that will be coming soon!

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3050 on: August 22, 2012, 12:31:22 pm »

I look forward to starting in the dullest civilization ever.  Then I will slaughter my starting down and try to escape over the border.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: August 22, 2012, 05:02:57 pm »

I look forward to starting in the dullest civilization ever.  Then I will slaughter my starting down and try to escape over the border.

"It was a golden age. The country I was born in could provide food and protection for all. It was perfect, it was safe, it was luxurious, IT WAS BORING.
It was time someone tried to inject some fun into this perfect society around me."
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3052 on: August 22, 2012, 05:50:23 pm »

"It was a golden age. The country I was born in could provide food and protection for all. It was perfect, it was safe, it was luxurious, IT WAS BORING.
It was time someone tried to inject some fun into this perfect society around me."

Just because that happens doesn't mean it has to be boring. There could be grand tournaments, masters to learn by, secret societies... STUFF

I really REALLY hope they don't fix this by injecting danger in a society that should have no danger.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3053 on: August 22, 2012, 09:28:02 pm »

Just because that happens doesn't mean it has to be boring. There could be grand tournaments, masters to learn by, secret societies... STUFF

I really REALLY hope they don't fix this by injecting danger in a society that should have no danger.

I was just getting into a mindset of a player character that suddenly goes serial killer in a completely stable civ.

I actually think the "boring" civs will make the civs in dire straights seem like they are actually in bad shape. A contrast that adds more depth to the world. If everything was in trouble then it would just seem like business as usual. Plus while you come from one civ, it doesn't mean you have to stay there.

Granted, you should be able to hear news of other civs and their happenings to make finding stuff to do easier.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3054 on: August 22, 2012, 09:34:57 pm »

That is good too... There are plenty of stories about heros who grew up in Mary Sue ville who go to Hell Ville to make a difference.

Like Superman

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3055 on: August 22, 2012, 11:11:32 pm »

I have a question, how are going to handle bogeymen? At the momment, bogeymen just appear if you don't have a companion and troll you. In the new update, will bogeymen act as groups and track you? Or just roam the wilds during the night, waiting for you to run into them? Or (hopefully) be removed? At the momment I hate bogeymen. I mean really, if your partner dies in a river during the night, boom, dead, but there is a ton of potential for them to be less trolly and more bogeyman....y.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 11:14:10 pm by WaffleEggnog »
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3056 on: August 22, 2012, 11:30:47 pm »

I have a question, how are going to handle bogeymen? At the momment, bogeymen just appear if you don't have a companion and troll you. In the new update, will bogeymen act as groups and track you? Or just roam the wilds during the night, waiting for you to run into them? Or (hopefully) be removed? At the momment I hate bogeymen. I mean really, if your partner dies in a river during the night, boom, dead, but there is a ton of potential for them to be less trolly and more bogeyman....y.

Answered in the previous set:

Quote from: Cruxador
Do bogeymen still appear the old way, random and untrackable? Considering their nature, it would be kind of cool if they did. But I don't know if they're included in "night creatures"; they're not usually referred to as such but I guess they could be.

Yeah, they work the same way.  They are technically night creatures, but the main ones we've got running around now are werewolves and the spouse-converting trolls/hags/etc.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: August 23, 2012, 12:29:41 am »

Also I LONG since turned Boogeymen off. I don't even create worlds with them anymore.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: August 23, 2012, 02:48:51 am »

Also I LONG since turned Boogeymen off. I don't even create worlds with them anymore.
They're not nearly ass annoying as they once were, and they only show up at all if you're out alone at night. If you haven't done so in more than a year or so, I'd recommend you try playing with them again.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3059 on: August 23, 2012, 11:15:37 am »

They're not nearly ass annoying as they once were, and they only show up at all if you're out alone at night. If you haven't done so in more than a year or so, I'd recommend you try playing with them again.

Right so if I don't want to see any boogeymen then I shouldn't explore..

OR I could remove boogeymen and keep the wonder of adventure.

Adventure or Boogeymen... Adventure... or boogeymen... such a hard choice.
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 748