Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3811612 times)

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2895 on: August 06, 2012, 03:58:47 pm »

At this point we should point out that LoTR, other standard fantasy elves and DF elves are VERY different creatures.

Indeed, but bearing in mind how DF elves are, they would no doubt go to excruciating lengths to train themselves to be able to walk without hurting the terrain, even if they didn't have the ability naturally. No way would they let their children run free down from their treehouses before they were sure they wouldn't accidentally step on and break twigs, disturb roots or kill any ants etc ^^
My point exactly

"For killing that sapling I will eat your corpse." I suppose you have a poiint...

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: August 06, 2012, 10:48:39 pm »

At this point we should point out that LoTR, other standard fantasy elves and DF elves are VERY different creatures.

I mostly brought up LotR because the question put up by Bohandas does get twice as interesting when you consider that elves have precedent for not leaving trails.
I wasn't trying to imply that DF elves had to follow LotR elves' example. To a certain extent, I hope DF elves differ a lot from LotR elves. I think LotR elves can be a bit boring in their over-perfection at time.

Whether DF elves would leave a trail or not seems like a pretty interesting bit of info on the forest dwellers as DF sees them.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: August 07, 2012, 08:11:32 am »

Toady generally does a good job of steering elves between established tradition and original uniqueness while avoiding tired cliches and extreme stereotypes for their own sake.

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: August 07, 2012, 08:21:09 am »

They should leave trails in non-forest biome, though.

My first image was an elf trekking across a supermarket parking lot.  And I thought, "Trails of what?"

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: August 07, 2012, 08:44:49 am »

They should leave trails in non-forest biome, though.

My first image was an elf trekking across a supermarket parking lot.  And I thought, "Trails of what?"

Blood. That's what they leave behind on my forts.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2900 on: August 07, 2012, 08:45:51 am »

Grass, obviously.

Imagine a guy in examining some fresh grass grown from between two floor tiles. "Crikey, looks like and elf passed by here not two hours ago"

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: August 07, 2012, 12:48:13 pm »

Grass, obviously.

Imagine a guy in examining some fresh grass grown from between two floor tiles. "Crikey, looks like and elf passed by here not two hours ago"

"Your search for "Steve Irwin wrestling an elf" returned no [relevant] results."

Awwwwww

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: August 07, 2012, 06:50:11 pm »

The spinning manta-ray strikes the Steve Irwin in the upper body, tearing the heart through the x Dingo Leather Vest x!
A major artery in the heart has been torn!

The mata-ray venom is injected into the Steve Irwin!
Steve Irwin looks sick!
Steve Irwin retches!
Steve Irwin vomits!
Steve Irwin retches!
Steve Irwin retches!
Steve Irwin vomits!

Steve Irwin, Crocodile Hunter has bled to death!
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

Chromasphere

• Bay Watcher
  • UUUUU,.,..,..,U,.""T"T"T"T""T
    • View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: August 07, 2012, 10:42:36 pm »

ugly

...moving on
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 10:44:39 pm by Chromasphere »
"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by tantrums, starving hysterical naked,
    dragging themselves through the dwarven streets at dawn looking for a helpless cat"-Vaftrudner

"We aren't customers or investors - we're spectators tossing donations into the coin box while watching someone build their work of art"-Psieye

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: August 09, 2012, 12:58:59 am »

Quote from: From The Front Page News
DF has been out for six years now. We now have proper bloody footprints to show for it, complete with direction, the kind of shoe if it was a shoe and not a foot, that kind of thing.
That sounded... Like a something to me. :-[ [or maybe its just the mood music i'm listening to...]

Critters on the ground are a little strange -- it picks the same parts that can pick up spatter from the ground, so there are strange things like cheek prints and turban marks, as if the crawling people really dig in with their whole bodies. Player tracking is at a good enough spot, at least if you want to track yourself. Now we need other people to run around tracking you, and we need additional critters running around in some form on the travel map so that you can find some incidental tracks. That'll include the ambushes that used to abstractly "find" you -- animals, bandits, nearby gob/kob site patrols and night creatures. Those'll all be moving around the world very soon in a more proper way.
So if a body hits the ground there'll be the impression of a body on the ground, even if we move it to hide it? Holy gods this is the best system that could develope into [the best] stealth minigame ever.

How smart do you expect NPCs to become under certain situations, like finding a pool of blood and enough scuff marks on the ground that indicates a fight happened? Will they raise the alarm appropriately if they're competent or putt around oblivious to the nearby danger if they're stupid enough?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 01:02:25 am by Mechanoid »
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: August 09, 2012, 03:33:46 am »

Critters on the ground are a little strange -- it picks the same parts that can pick up spatter from the ground, so there are strange things like cheek prints and turban marks, as if the crawling people really dig in with their whole bodies.

That is so hilariously Dwarf Fortress. I can see the oddest things coming out of this...

"Hold up, the tracks have changed... It looks like he stopped and dragged his face, on the left side, and his upper right leg, across the ground here!"
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 03:35:37 am by MasterMorality »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: August 09, 2012, 08:37:17 am »

Clearly, we are tracking.... QWOP!

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: August 09, 2012, 09:30:27 am »

there is still no release, so i guess its still good to ask about it but since i didnt think about it when it was hot news ill just make it a comunity-question:
i remember some talk about different movement speeds, which should include running, has there been any official mentioning of stamina?
there is a huge difference between long-distance-walking-endurance and sprint-stamina, we got something like the endurance, since adventurers can get exhausted or tired after walking around all day, i think at least, but what about getting out of breath by other sources than your lungs being damaged? im not sure about long fights making you get out of breath

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: August 09, 2012, 09:33:31 am »

Since stamina is already a thing (you can get tired/over-exerted through fighting too much), I'd say it isn't unreasonable to assume that that system of stamina is part of the new movement system as well.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: August 09, 2012, 03:25:35 pm »

there is still no release, so i guess its still good to ask about it but since i didnt think about it when it was hot news ill just make it a comunity-question:
i remember some talk about different movement speeds, which should include running, has there been any official mentioning of stamina?
there is a huge difference between long-distance-walking-endurance and sprint-stamina, we got something like the endurance, since adventurers can get exhausted or tired after walking around all day, i think at least, but what about getting out of breath by other sources than your lungs being damaged? im not sure about long fights making you get out of breath
Apart from Putnam's post, the July 28 dev log also mentions that different movement speeds should have impact on "energy usage", among other things.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 748