Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3811602 times)

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2880 on: August 05, 2012, 10:13:51 am »

All this talk of tracking everything that moves reminds me of when fluids were tracked around. It created a huge amount of data for this one facet of the simulation, enough to impact the games performance significantly. Do contemporary computers have the resources to record every movement that happens in a DF world so that it may be tracked? Are we going to need terabytes of HD space to accommodate this?
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #2881 on: August 05, 2012, 11:19:48 am »

All this talk of tracking everything that moves reminds me of when fluids were tracked around. It created a huge amount of data for this one facet of the simulation, enough to impact the games performance significantly. Do contemporary computers have the resources to record every movement that happens in a DF world so that it may be tracked? Are we going to need terabytes of HD space to accommodate this?
I'm pretty sure toady stated that most of this information would be abstracted/put in higher detail dependent upon proximity.
So the locations of squads and armies should be abstracted if they're halfway across the world, I believe. It'll keep a more accurate (read; down to an overworld fast travel level) on squads that are more relevant to you, which naturally means closer to you.
Edit:This is just what I heard mind you, but it'd be the best way to go about it as far as I can see it.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 11:22:43 am by iceball3 »

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: August 05, 2012, 02:28:31 pm »

Is it possible to follow tracks through cities?

A bit suggestiony but it seems relevant:
Have you put any future consideration into using dogs or other animals to aid in tracking?

Obviously companion animals aren't in Adventure Mode yet, but it seems like a logical step when they are.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: August 05, 2012, 04:19:19 pm »

Are we going to see any attempt to cut all the useless clutter data? While I enjoy Dwarf Fortress, I don't enjoy waiting about 45 minutes to generate a world because of 600 werebeast rampages or forest fires or whatever. There's a lot of information that seems pointless to record, which seems to bog down performance when pathfinding for a large fortress already eats memory like there's no tomorrow.

Clutter data? Not sure what you mean. There's an option to cull unimportant hist. figures in the advanced worldgen.

Things like heartrates and how many times dwarves blink and all the other assorted invisible figures that seem to have no impact whatsoever on the game.

I dont think you have clear understand of Dorf Fortress, or at least at this current time able to talk about it without hyperbole.

FPS Death for fort mode isn't largely due misc. simulations that you're hostile too, but due to the number of items its tracking. Which means that under any hardware system eventually it'll succumb to FPS Death.

And World Generation time length doesn't impact fort mode performance. World Gen is very abstracted simulation using simplified systems then whats found in Fort Mode or Adventure Mode.

I think you'll want to reread the Dev Log. The Tracking Information for Adventure Mode is cycled out on a regular basis.  And I really dont think the Dev Log implies that its recording Tracking Information for every Creature in a World for DF. And we dont know how Tracking Information is stored from World Gen, or if it'll be used there at all.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: August 05, 2012, 04:25:29 pm »

A bit suggestiony but it seems relevant:
Have you put any future consideration into using dogs or other animals to aid in tracking?

Obviously companion animals aren't in Adventure Mode yet, but it seems like a logical step when they are.
Toady specifically mentioned scents as a possibility in the July 30 devlog, so he has at least thought about it for future expansion. As he hasn't mentioned scents for the definite features, they likely won't be in the next version, of course.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: August 05, 2012, 06:04:11 pm »

I think the main issue as far the blood being tracked around, and everything else, was that it never went away and was an infinitely generated thing. So a cut on a hand would leave a trail of blood for over a hundred miles long, instead of stopping after two tiles max, and eventually fading, which would make sense.  You could have a five cm puddle of blood that, by being stepped in, would miraculously accommodate an ocean's worth.

If blood faded - if you want to fluff it out, scabs and flakes - then it wouldn't be too much of a problem.

So my assumption is that vegetation that is flattened or trampled, or otherwise disturbed, would spring back to a 'regular' state after a certain amount of time.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: August 05, 2012, 06:29:48 pm »

the blood smears are fixed .
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: August 05, 2012, 07:17:26 pm »

the blood smears are fixed .
No, they're just disabled.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: August 05, 2012, 07:54:48 pm »

One of the recent updates said that all non-flying corporeal creatures would break vegetation as they walk. Does that include elves and other creatures with "GRASSTRAMPLE:0"? And will that tag be modified in the new update?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: August 05, 2012, 08:32:52 pm »

Thats an interesting question.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: August 05, 2012, 11:29:55 pm »

Thats an interesting question.

That goes double for elves since in LotR Legolas even walks on top of the snow without leaving a trace.
Having creatures that don't leave a standard trail would definitely be interesting.
Though that may wait until scent becomes an available method of tracking.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: August 06, 2012, 12:47:07 am »

Elves should leave no trails nor scent in the forest because they're goddamned elves
They should leave trails in non-forest biome, though.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: August 06, 2012, 05:00:31 am »

At this point we should point out that LoTR, other standard fantasy elves and DF elves are VERY different creatures.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: August 06, 2012, 06:09:35 am »

At this point we should point out that LoTR, other standard fantasy elves and DF elves are VERY different creatures.

Indeed, but bearing in mind how DF elves are, they would no doubt go to excruciating lengths to train themselves to be able to walk without hurting the terrain, even if they didn't have the ability naturally. No way would they let their children run free down from their treehouses before they were sure they wouldn't accidentally step on and break twigs, disturb roots or kill any ants etc ^^

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: August 06, 2012, 02:48:39 pm »

Indeed, but bearing in mind how DF elves are, they would no doubt go to excruciating lengths to train themselves to be able to walk without hurting the terrain, even if they didn't have the ability naturally. No way would they let their children run free down from their treehouses before they were sure they wouldn't accidentally step on and break twigs, disturb roots or kill any ants etc ^^
My point exactly
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 748