Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3811675 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2790 on: July 28, 2012, 03:24:58 am »

I'm still not excited for the next version as I am used to be for the previous ones. Maybe it's the lack of devlogs.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: July 29, 2012, 03:09:33 pm »

Will the alert system apply to any other sites that are inhabited by armies? Like, say, a conquered player fortress?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 03:44:52 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Phlum

• Bay Watcher
  • Above Is my true form, no mortal shall see it!
    • View Profile
    • Idontwanttowork
« Reply #2792 on: July 29, 2012, 11:09:24 pm »

Will the alert system apply to any other sites that are inhabited by armies? Like, say, a conquered player fortress?
I would imagine so. If one goblin can look around it only takes copy and paste to apply it to everything. Unless you mean the way that other guards are alerted. which brings to mind,When an alert is given, the offended entity doesn't yet know of the offence, right? In other words, is it possible to kill a guard before he alerts others and not become enemy of a civ?
So I have spoken, may this thread live long!!

I don't share my age online, no one takes horny 14 year olds seriously.

"dwarf fortress is autism in a game"  -a guy named rick

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: July 30, 2012, 01:23:37 am »

Cool. Two devlogs in a row.

Does the changes in sneaking apply to fortress mode?

Why did the commander fled instead of fighting?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: July 30, 2012, 01:46:09 am »

Cool. Two devlogs in a row.
Why did the commander fled instead of fighting?
As stipulated in the Dev Log, the Commander gave up the chase because of his responsibilities.

I have a question: How can the sneaking apply to fort mode exactly? You don't control anyone dorf, and it seems like we're no were near getting the Bloat of controlling one Dorf during Sieges, a la adventure move. A lot of the sneaking stuff, is conveying information to the Player so there no translation for that stuff in Fort Mode.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 01:59:54 am by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: July 30, 2012, 01:52:39 am »

I think my favorite part is the addition of a tracking mechanism.  Now maybe we can track down animals in the wild when we are hungry.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: July 30, 2012, 02:05:13 am »

As stipulated in the Dev Log, the Commander gave up the chase because of his responsibilities.

He tried to get back to his tent because of his responsabilities, but it was not the reason he fled. At least this is what is written in the devlog. I'm asking why he fled in the first place.

I have a question: How can the sneaking apply to fort mode exactly? You don't control anyone dorf, and it seems like we're no were near getting the Bloat of controlling one Dorf during Sieges, a la adventure move. A lot of the sneaking stuff, is conveying information to the Player so there no translation for that stuff in Fort Mode.

The new mechanics can be applied to fortress mode even if the player doesn't have direct control (field of vision, raising alarms, and so on) and may impact gameplay regardless of player control. Or it may be the the same as it always was. This is what I hope Toady answers.

If you have a lot of this kind of doubts, you aren't being helpful trying to answer the questions for Toady.

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: July 30, 2012, 05:09:56 am »

The noise reduction is a passive ability, while you can still set yourself to "sneak", which'll decrease your chance to be seen but will also make you look more suspicious if you are seen.

Good. It always bothered me in the Elder Scrolls games how it never seemed to bother any guard or shopkeeper if you were sneaking around everywhere.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: July 30, 2012, 09:19:31 am »

Are your Fortress Mode soldiers going to engage in something of the same sort of expanded sneaking ability, even if it's not quite as expanded as the Adventure Mode version?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 09:28:43 am by dhokarena56 »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

BradUffner

• Bay Watcher
  • BradUffner has begun a mysterious construction.
    • View Profile
    • Gump Studio
« Reply #2799 on: July 30, 2012, 10:11:21 am »

The noise reduction is a passive ability, while you can still set yourself to "sneak", which'll decrease your chance to be seen but will also make you look more suspicious if you are seen.

Good. It always bothered me in the Elder Scrolls games how it never seemed to bother any guard or shopkeeper if you were sneaking around everywhere.

I just started playing Morrowind again, and was surprised to hear NPCs (including guards) making comments about my sneaking.  So at least one Elder Scrolls game took that in to account.
Raw Explorer - Easily navigate and edit your raw files via GUI! - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103360.0
Tile Genie - Merge multiple tilesets - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77724.0

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2800 on: July 30, 2012, 10:10:42 pm »

Wait wait hold up a feck did Toady just add a new tile to the game
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: July 30, 2012, 10:30:18 pm »

Wait wait hold up a feck did Toady just add a new tile to the game

I think he did.  I am just overjoyed that tracking is finally in.  Now when one of the ambushers runs away I can track them down.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2802 on: July 30, 2012, 10:56:10 pm »

(those are larger images built from 219-223+254 that'll pop up with a description if we stick with that, not new tiles)
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: July 30, 2012, 11:43:50 pm »

Looks great!  Like the direction this tracking mechanic is going.
Will there be an element of in game learning required for the annotation of the track marks, or will the player be told what every track belongs to all the time?
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: July 30, 2012, 11:47:39 pm »

I'm growing somewhat concerned about the extent of feature-creep in this release. Obviously, this is the Adams' baby, and the features they're interested in implementing are the ones that should go in. But for my own selfish interests, I'm somewhat concerned that features I'm really excited for -- such as a more dynamic world and nonlethal combat -- are going to get delayed behind features like search party AI and game trails.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 748