Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3811697 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2775 on: July 25, 2012, 09:38:26 am »

One side effect of that is that if you turn into a vampire, you can breeze through necro towers because only the necros themselves will attack you.

Yeah which as I said if the Zombies only saw through Life Sense it would make sense. They simply cannot see Vampires.

Though given that zombies can make intricate towers of stone (No small feat) I guess they should be a tad more capable.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: July 25, 2012, 10:47:52 am »

goodness I have a question but I have no idea how to phrase it.

Toady I noticed that "Undead" is an actual faction within your game. Is this a placeholder or are all undead buddy buddy with eachother inadvertingly?

I could imagine it being unintentional mind you. For example if several undead creatures attacked with "Life Sense"...

It's intentional and most likely will change later:

Quote from: Japa
Are adventurers-turned-vampire meant to be friendly towards raised dead?

Yeah, this is how it is supposed to work now.  Zombies are sort of generically against the living.  If they were actually animated under the active power of the necromancer, that would be different, and I imagine there will be other things going on over time.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: July 25, 2012, 03:59:23 pm »

Will there be an action available for adventurers to cut through tents?

Will this update see sneaking related quests? Such as sneaking into an army camp of a besieged city to kill their leader/general or poison rations?
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: July 25, 2012, 04:09:02 pm »

Will this update see sneaking related quests? Such as sneaking into an army camp of a besieged city to kill their leader/general or poison rations?
We already get missions to kill leaders of bandit camps. Sneaking in and killing just the leader should be valid for those. I don't imagine we'll be able to do it with poison, though, because I doubt that will go in until potions and alchemy in general, and those seem like a rather larger detour from the plan than even Toady tends to embark on.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: July 25, 2012, 06:20:02 pm »

We already get missions to kill leaders of bandit camps. Sneaking in and killing just the leader should be valid for those. I don't imagine we'll be able to do it with poison, though, because I doubt that will go in until potions and alchemy in general, and those seem like a rather larger detour from the plan than even Toady tends to embark on.
I guess. It was more of an example of more varied siege-related quests. But that would probably require a lot more dev goals to be implemented.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: July 25, 2012, 06:41:53 pm »

I don't think I'll ask toady this because it is probably common knowledge, but with respect to the current militia system - is my understanding correct? Militias will be the armies that can be raised from the seperate sites of a Dwarven empire. Only the capital can raise an "army" complete with a general and captains and lieutenants. However, this must mean that in the event that we, as players, will be able to control an entire Dwarven empire (probably in the year 2020) then our military garrissons would not answer directly to the individual fortresses that they are protecting unless they are militia. There could be problems ahead.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: July 25, 2012, 08:16:08 pm »

If you're controlling your Civ entirely, I dont see any conflict. I find it unlikly in the event that you're in controll of your Civ, that it would be the same mode as Fort Mode.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: July 25, 2012, 08:28:37 pm »

you might eventually have underlings in charge of a fort and a military garrison, or have the garrison BE forts. idk. im not the great Toad.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: July 25, 2012, 08:45:55 pm »

Will the new stealth mechanics carry over to dwarf mode?

It would be a brillant change to the kobold active cloaking system in place now. More focus could be put on setting up scouting patrols and lookouts to catch thives and ambushes; rather than the tie a dog to a tree and hope they stumble on it method in place in most forts.

With the new combat reactions, will we see multiple parts being hit with a single strike?

I have an image in my head of an elefant stomping on a dwarf, crushing every single bone in his body with one blow.
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: July 25, 2012, 09:08:02 pm »

Will the new stealth mechanics carry over to dwarf mode?

It would be a brillant change to the kobold active cloaking system in place now. More focus could be put on setting up scouting patrols and lookouts to catch thives and ambushes; rather than the tie a dog to a tree and hope they stumble on it method in place in most forts.

With the new combat reactions, will we see multiple parts being hit with a single strike?

I have an image in my head of an elefant stomping on a dwarf, crushing every single bone in his body with one blow.
No and No would be my guesses.

For the Elephant example, I think that would have to wait until combat respects size difference between opponents.

The stealth mechanics, are largely for the Adventure, it would seem. And even if the new mechanics are used for all NPC stealthiness, the dog at the choke point would still be a very effective means to discover them. So you can still set up patrol routes right now, if you'd like.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: July 25, 2012, 11:05:13 pm »

Something else just occurred to me: Will enemies hearing/smelling you despite their backs being turned be implemented any time soon?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: July 26, 2012, 09:31:56 am »

From my understanding of the entity file, the militias are site-specific, while the nation has an army lead by a general, who is appointed by the monarch. I think Toady wanted the dwarves to send out soldiers from your site, though, so you'd either be raising your own army (for example, as a barony) and sending it out, or giving your militia a larger amount of work. It may be that you will be able to pick a Lieutenant (already in the entity file) to lead an army out of your fort. I suspect that in either case our entity files will change as a result, though.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: July 26, 2012, 11:46:21 am »

Is the stealth/detection system going to take into account vantage points eventually? One of the reasons Watchtowers are so common in real life is that it is much easier to spot people from above than it is on the ground. But right now in DF they're useless for spotting sneaking people because it puts the guards too far away to detect anyone.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Phlum

• Bay Watcher
  • Above Is my true form, no mortal shall see it!
    • View Profile
    • Idontwanttowork
« Reply #2788 on: July 27, 2012, 08:35:26 am »

will this sneaking update include fixes for the current ability to steal from anyone but shopkeepers? Or allow you to shoplift some berries without the entire world knowing.
Just because these bugs drive me insane.
So I have spoken, may this thread live long!!

I don't share my age online, no one takes horny 14 year olds seriously.

"dwarf fortress is autism in a game"  -a guy named rick

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: July 27, 2012, 09:03:43 am »

Is the stealth/detection system going to take into account vantage points eventually? One of the reasons Watchtowers are so common in real life is that it is much easier to spot people from above than it is on the ground. But right now in DF they're useless for spotting sneaking people because it puts the guards too far away to detect anyone.

this one always bothered me, though it may be in before too long (in DF release time scales) as it seems kinda necessary that watchtowers become non-decorative at this point.
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 748