Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3811716 times)

O11O1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2715 on: July 16, 2012, 02:02:54 am »

Isn't the current behavior of doors and building destroyers is the the BD comes up a attacks it until the wear quality goes down to x, xx, then destroyed?

How is that actually tracked internally?
A slight smell of ions.....

... "My student guidance counselor said my personality test results came back, and my ideal career is as a brigand because I love hurting people and stealing stuff, with a Life Goal of killing 3 or 4 adventurers" ...

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: July 16, 2012, 03:14:12 am »

unless "workshop was toppled by troll" is any different with doors, i believe it's a one hit wonder for anything a BD attacks.
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: July 16, 2012, 03:59:12 am »

I surprised we havent gotten bitchy for this being more or less a suggestion.

ehhh we get a suggestion poorly disguised as a question at least once every one or two weeks.

Auning

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: July 16, 2012, 12:29:17 pm »

How do the new attack phases effect the analysis of how square/easy the hit will be, etc., since circumstances may change in the time between the execution of the strike and the following through of it? I.E; You aim an attack at a goblin's lower body and it is shown to be very square. This may change to just square, or maybe even a direct hit opportunity by the time the strike lands.

When will the multiple layer thick trees be added? I recall you mentioning this as it may be required for elven sites (if I my memory is correct). Will this be applied to other things, such as all trees? Will trees be made to extend over one z level?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 01:33:30 pm by Auning »
[DESCRIPTION:A horse-like creature susceptible to severed nerves when muscles are torn in limb, grasp and starting length are all the same.]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGG_YOLK:LIQUID]
[PUS:LOCAL_CREATURE:BIRD_ROC]

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: July 16, 2012, 12:49:46 pm »

You said: "As people brought up, there's been a lot of discussion about this over the years -- the current position is that there will be very little if any forced actions from the player's emotional state.  It relies on the computer getting things correct, and a single screwup blasts immersion." I assume this means that in the future, your characters personality may have more of an effect on gameplay. If so, does this mean we will want to keep our characters happy? What would be a drawback of an unhappy character?
You just contradicted the sentence you just quoted. It means that character personality /won't/ have an effect, because it would break immersion.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: July 16, 2012, 03:07:53 pm »

I like that last update, as it is violent and bloody. BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD !

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: July 16, 2012, 06:05:02 pm »

unless "workshop was toppled by troll" is any different with doors, i believe it's a one hit wonder for anything a BD attacks.

No, not quite. Doors, floodgates, and the like undergo quality wear in the process of being destroyed and it you're watching you can see them taking damage as the Troll or whatever works on them.

Trade Depots and such do explode instantly but I'm guessing that's because they're made of stone or blocks or whatever and those don't have condition modifiers to drop

Auning

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: July 16, 2012, 07:24:47 pm »

You said: "As people brought up, there's been a lot of discussion about this over the years -- the current position is that there will be very little if any forced actions from the player's emotional state.  It relies on the computer getting things correct, and a single screwup blasts immersion." I assume this means that in the future, your characters personality may have more of an effect on gameplay. If so, does this mean we will want to keep our characters happy? What would be a drawback of an unhappy character?
You just contradicted the sentence you just quoted. It means that character personality /won't/ have an effect, because it would break immersion.
Sorry. It appears I misinterpreted what he said. I'll delete the section from my post.
[DESCRIPTION:A horse-like creature susceptible to severed nerves when muscles are torn in limb, grasp and starting length are all the same.]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGG_YOLK:LIQUID]
[PUS:LOCAL_CREATURE:BIRD_ROC]

Aerval

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: July 18, 2012, 06:36:59 am »

When Goblins or anybody else attack a town, will normal peasants start locking their doors and/or even built barricades to stop the goblins from plunder their part of the city? Especially locked doors would interest me, since you can currently go in every house as you want.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: July 18, 2012, 10:09:11 pm »

As of the latest devlog, it seems like we'll have temporary army camps around the world. Will we have armies "just passing through" our fortress in the coming release?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: July 18, 2012, 10:11:36 pm »

As of the latest devlog, it seems like we'll have temporary army camps around the world. Will we have armies "just passing through" our fortress in the coming release?

This would be pretty cool, but the current dev. focus is adventure mode actualization.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: July 18, 2012, 10:17:55 pm »

FINALY! Tents!  8) i waited years for that :P

[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: July 18, 2012, 10:22:31 pm »

Adventurers might not get tents even if the armies can use tents. Tents were brought up during the addition of the Night Creatures, so it might not be that low hanging of a fruit. For this release. 

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: July 18, 2012, 10:24:21 pm »

Nice! Evasion on the Travel Map level should be exciting too.

I'm hesitant to green this since somebody probably already knows, but do armies exist in peacetime? I know there's professional soldiers hanging out in castles and town walls and whatever, but I don't know if DF is rolling with the whole "mass conscript of peasants as soldiers are needed" method.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: July 18, 2012, 10:52:43 pm »

I think it depends on the balance between realism and fantasy. Fantasy novels tend to have standing armies. The historically there were professional soldiers, but majority of an army was composed from conscripts from peasants.

I dont think ToadyOne has stated one or the other. All we know for sure is that Armies are limited size from the entity population count.
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 748