Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3811743 times)

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2700 on: July 15, 2012, 08:05:43 pm »

I'm fine with wall destroyers provided we get the opportunity to dump boiling oil or pitch on them -- and have the ability to light it on fire too.  Or if that's not nasty enough, molten lead should also be fun.

Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Abalieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: July 15, 2012, 09:30:23 pm »

A few questions:

I think right now monsters and hostile NPCs can't do much if they can't reach the dwarves inside the fortress. Am I wrong about this? Can they target a closed door to break it, or a draw bridge?

Because it would be interesting instead to give every different material a kind of resistance/hit point value. As far as I know right now a rock bed is identical to one made of wood. But if NPCs could target items and structures to destroy them, and if the material played a role in how much resistant an object is then the system would become suddenly much more interesting.

Why until now monster never had an active role, for example trying to reach dwarves inside instead of just looking harmless?

I think digging is not equally interesting because it gets too easy, but letting monsters trying to attack the paths and structures already built could open the game a lot and make it a lot more interesting (while also putting some gameplay value in having a million of different materials that have no effect at all on gameplay).
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 09:34:47 pm by Abalieno »
 HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: July 15, 2012, 09:50:59 pm »

A few questions:

I think right now monsters and hostile NPCs can't do much if they can't reach the dwarves inside the fortress. Am I wrong about this? Can they target a closed door to break it, or a draw bridge?
A creatures can destroy buildings. Its currently a special tag on the creature in their raw.
Because it would be interesting instead to give every different material a kind of resistance/hit point value. As far as I know right now a rock bed is identical to one made of wood. But if NPCs could target items and structures to destroy them, and if the material played a role in how much resistant an object is then the system would become suddenly much more interesting.
I would really shy away from any sorta of hit point system due to the disdain that ToadyOne has for them. He seems to only use them as time saving place holders. Right now, beside a few select circumstances constructed items are invincible and natural terrain is aways invincible.
I dont know what ToadyOne has planned for destroyable buildings or removing natural terrain. Other then it being a goal, I dont think any sort of mechanic has been spoken about.

Why until now monster never had an active role, for example trying to reach dwarves inside instead of just looking harmless?
It wasn't a needed dev item.

I think digging is not equally interesting because it gets too easy, but letting monsters trying to attack the paths and structures already built could open the game a lot and make it a lot more interesting (while also putting some gameplay value in having a million of different materials that have no effect at all on gameplay).
I think, when siege overall is done all sorts of that stuff is to be expected.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Abalieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: July 15, 2012, 10:04:01 pm »

First you say certain creatures can destroy buildings, then that constructed items (I guess buildings too) are invincible.

So what buildings can actually be destroyed? Doors? Walls?

The hit point system is meant solely to give a purpose to the hundreds of material that clutter the game (and the color display) for no reason at all. Giving each material a different resistance would make the diversity of materials a nice feature instead of pointless clutter.
 HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: July 15, 2012, 10:06:54 pm »

First you say certain creatures can destroy buildings, then that constructed items (I guess buildings too) are invincible.

The hit point system is meant solely to give a purpose to the hundreds of material that clutter the game (and the color display) for no reason at all. Giving each material a different resistance would make the diversity of materials a nice feature instead of pointless clutter.

...why don't you look it up? Constructed items are invincible. Constructed items are items under the b-->C menu. Buildings are not. Workshops, doors, etc.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: July 15, 2012, 10:10:46 pm »

And there a qualifier on that sentence.

Abalieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: July 15, 2012, 10:12:24 pm »

So a creature CAN destroy a door/draw bridge/whatever else, but a solid wall would be invincible?
 HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: July 15, 2012, 10:12:55 pm »

So a creature CAN destroy a door/draw bridge/whatever else, but a solid wall would be invincible?
Yep.
But not all creatures.

Abalieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: July 15, 2012, 10:15:20 pm »

Ok, then my point is that instead of a flag on the creature, this should depend on the material.

Say a stone door should be harder to take down than a wooden one. Giving all materials different properties.
 HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: July 15, 2012, 10:16:04 pm »

All buildings apart from the pure constructions (Fortification, Floor, Stairs, Ramp, Wall) can be destroyed, the exception being those constructed with artifact items, such as an artifact door for example, which are also indestructible. Bridges are also relatively indestructible when raised, only being vulnerable to dragonfire.

(also ninjaed I guess ^^)

I have faith that Toady will come up with a good way to solve this issue, there's no need to get up in arms about what "might" when all the info we have shows he knows of our concerns and are planning ways to deal with it. Much of this would be better put in one of the suggestion threads on the subject regardless ;P

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: July 15, 2012, 10:30:45 pm »

I'm not saying a hit point system can't work, but what I was saying that ToadyOne isn't in favor of them. And its overall against how the game has been progressing.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: July 15, 2012, 10:36:09 pm »

Ok, then my point is that instead of a flag on the creature, this should depend on the material.

Say a stone door should be harder to take down than a wooden one. Giving all materials different properties.

Stone doors already are harder to take down than wooden ones--Giant Cave Spiders can only destroy wooden doors, while Trolls can destroy all doors. See the BUILDINGDESTROYER tag.

Abalieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: July 15, 2012, 10:46:01 pm »

Stone doors already are harder to take down than wooden ones--Giant Cave Spiders can only destroy wooden doors, while Trolls can destroy all doors. See the BUILDINGDESTROYER tag.

It only says it makes distinction between furniture and everything else, not between materials.
 HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: July 15, 2012, 10:47:11 pm »

I surprised we havent gotten bitchy for this being more or less a suggestion.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: July 16, 2012, 12:40:37 am »

I surprised we havent gotten bitchy for this being more or less a suggestion.
It isn't, though. It's a question directly relating to the last devlog, where he was talking about goblins destroying towns.
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 748