Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807219 times)

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2430 on: June 16, 2012, 03:31:43 am »

From the devlog:
Right now the new stuff just applies to what I've been working on, so that critters will generally feel terror when people are trying to kill them, unless they are oddly constituted, and in order to continue fighting they need to master their fear. Failure to master emotional states leads to forced actions like running away or attacking in rage, although running away can also occur as a rational action if the critter gets to that stage.

Will the player's character be affected by fear etc. and subject to forced actions, or will it be left to roleplaying?

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: June 16, 2012, 06:16:21 am »

Will the player's character be affected by fear etc. and subject to forced actions, or will it be left to roleplaying?

Good question, Toady talked about this on DF talk one time and It'd be interesting to hear what decision was made.  As long as one can become accustomed to fear then perhaps it isn't any more restrictive than any other skill determined action?
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: June 16, 2012, 06:32:28 am »

terror seems nice, looking forward to that. itll most certainly change how the game feels when played a lot.

what changes to combat are at the doorstep right now? (details below not coloured, but still part of the question)

-since running at someone with your weapon readied is more fearsome than crawling towards them, will the combat-movement-speed-split previously seen on the to-do-list be part of the terror-in-combat-changes?

-since less lethal combat mostly relies on techniques in real live, how much of work will go in that direction? will the long planned stances be introduced now?(putting your leg behind your enemies leg to poke them to the ground easily as an example of a stance used in less lethal combat)

-following stances, once they get in(even if thats not now), will they replace the _random_ opportunity-strikes and to-hit-difficulties we have now with _logical_ opportunities and difficulties?(a wide swing with your right arm can leave your right side open; stepping forward with your left leg makes it a far easier target than your right leg)

-will things which dont have attack entries in the weapons raw-file see some changes concerning less lethal combat?(think of shield-bashing and fist attacks while wearing gauntlets and the likes)

-how much will be done concerning lesser injuries and 'status-effects' in the wake of less lethal combat? right now outright killing your opponent has the same difficulty as, or at least doesnt take longer than, reducing their fighting power little by little, so nobody aims at less lethal points.

-you already explained what terror does concerning decision-making, but what effects will terror have on skills and abilities?(e.g. someone shaking in fear wont react as quickly or precisely on a fight, or will have trouble sneaking because of a loss of concentration)

-anything i havent thought of

i always thought the killcount we see on weapons in fortress-mode right now is nothing but fooling around... it doesnt even distinguish between 1 dwarf killing 100 goblins in a single fight from 100 dwarves killing 1 goblin each and dying themselves in a hundred separate sieges.

edit: i just realized:
Quote from: devlog 15.06.2012
Failure to master emotional states leads to forced actions...
what other emotions and actions than does this include?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 06:43:32 am by eux0r »

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: June 16, 2012, 06:59:11 am »

i always thought the killcount we see on weapons in fortress-mode right now is nothing but fooling around... it doesnt even distinguish between 1 dwarf killing 100 goblins in a single fight from 100 dwarves killing 1 goblin each and dying themselves in a hundred separate sieges.

I might be wrong on that, but doesn't it actually list the slayer?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: June 16, 2012, 08:59:07 am »

Does the [SKILL:SWORD] tag on the weapon raws determine which weapons can be found upright made out of spoilermetal in the unique spoiler entrance to the spoilers?

Its been brought up in the Gameplay questions, and this stuff is hardcoded, so I decided to put it here.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: June 16, 2012, 10:05:03 am »

I might be wrong on that, but doesn't it actually list the slayer?

Indeed it does. And If I remember right it also details when that slayer died, if he did.
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: June 16, 2012, 11:07:22 am »

Spoiler: quotes (click to show/hide)
oh, my bad, i forgot it does, but i think it still doesnt matter when it comes to naming the weapon. or am i wrong again?
edit: i just looked into the wiki, apparently a dwarf names his weapon when he reaches enough kills or at least one notable kill with it himself. forget i ever said anything about that
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 11:12:58 am by eux0r »

blake77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: June 16, 2012, 11:36:25 am »

Would the next update deal with "when creatures should flee"? For example, dwarves behind fortifications, dwarves dealing with untamed creatures like rabbits.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: June 16, 2012, 01:34:07 pm »

Maybe more a suggestion.... so I won't green it. :-X

Now that you have entities and groups setting goals and acting on them in adventurermode, will you soon add these features also to groups in the Fortress mode?

So that groups such as familiy, inactive squads ect will coordinate their goals and actions more. Also intergroup; feuds, alliances etc. influencing an individuals' thoughts,likes etc. animals could claim territories and defend them.
This may not exactly be a proper question, but it does have a non-suggestion-question equivalent.
How will these new thought-systems interface with the upcoming groups system?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: June 16, 2012, 02:02:47 pm »

Does the [SKILL:SWORD] tag on the weapon raws determine which weapons can be found upright made out of spoilermetal in the unique spoiler entrance to the spoilers?

Its been brought up in the Gameplay questions, and this stuff is hardcoded, so I decided to put it here.

I've never seen a non-SWORD there, and I've seen quite a few modded ones, so I would have to say yes.

drvoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: June 16, 2012, 05:24:46 pm »

The idea of terror and stressors with long-term personality consequences is something I hoped for with the personality rewrite, and it looks like this may be part of it.  It sounds like a good approximation of real psychology, and manages to add another layer of complexity to gameplay now, which I assume will carry over to Fortress Mode and how our dwarfs conduct themselves in combat, so..

Toady, how have you been approaching the implementation and design of personality stuff as this bit of the project moves forward?  Have you been consulting with anybody who specializes in psychology, or is this basically the result of wiki-diving and/or astute induction?
Ambassador magma patiently awaits his meeting with your nobles.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: June 16, 2012, 06:47:25 pm »

This posits two correlary (but non-greenable, methinks) questions.

1) With the nerfing of fall damage, will drip feeding kittens from 10+z into your dining hall give sufficient tragic exposure due to the little buggers trying to crawl away on little broken legs just as much as gory explosions of craft goods poor little kitteh parts?

2) Besides spending a couple of days of knap/throw to become a Legendary Thrower in Adventure, will we now have to spend days wrestling terrifying hoary marmots to get our Adventurers immune to fear?

I can't wait to see how this will play out.

Add them both up and we'll have the army danger rooms now include pitting recruits in a 1x1 with angry finches for months of training, similarly to Dwarven Child Care.

Or just do what REAL Armies do, have the Drill Sergeants mound psychological stress on trainees to get them accustomed to stress, because you can't set off live grenades in the barracks.  (Note: That last prohibition is very disappointing, I might add)

New Military Labor!!  Durim McBrownRound has become a Drill Sergeant.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: June 16, 2012, 07:04:17 pm »

1) With the nerfing of fall damage, will drip feeding kittens from 10+z into your dining hall give sufficient tragic exposure due to the little buggers trying to crawl away on little broken legs just as much as gory explosions of craft goods poor little kitteh parts?

Considering that damage from things dropped on your dwarves has been... uh... the opposite of nerfed, if you're dropping cats into your busy dining area I think you'll get tragic exposure, just not the kind you were expecting.

Bug #5945: Collision damage can be very exaggerated.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: June 16, 2012, 08:19:13 pm »

Would the next update deal with "when creatures should flee"?For example, dwarves behind fortifications, dwarves dealing with untamed creatures like rabbits.
Presumably. Toady generally does a good job at using a unified frame work for both Adventure mode and Fort Mode. The biggest issue Toady has expressed with this, is that Fort Mode is x72 faster then Adventure Mode.

The post about this even includes that there room for reword of Job Priorities, so ToadyOne is clearly thinking of Fortmode with this system and its implementation.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: June 17, 2012, 03:05:04 am »

When surrender is implemented, are the only options available going to be interrogate then kill/spare?
Would be cool to have a use for that iron chain to bring them to the local lawgiver.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 748