Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807002 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2415 on: June 14, 2012, 10:07:37 am »

Here's an idea.

How about implementing meteors in the game? Every few years or so you'll get an announcement, and a meteor will fall somewhere on the map, causing fires and maybe punching in a hole though the ground level and killing everything underneath. The remains can then be mined out for some ore inside on the level of candy, or at lease some kind of ore.

Maybe if gods are implemented in the game more a meteor shower could come just as the goblin siege are breaking through your front gates, saving you and providing you with metal from the heavens for defending yourself more adequately next time.

Meteors are frequently suggested in the Suggestions forum.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: June 15, 2012, 07:12:51 am »

I find it awesome how the systems Toady has created in the past are usable for new features. In retrospect, a militia squad and a bandit gang are nearly the same thing.

Yep, the joys of OOP1 :)

1 OOP = Object-Oriented Programming - C++ ftw :D

It'd be funny if our super legenedary adventurers eventually get whacky skills like pulling out and sheathing their swords so fast they can cut someone in two without seeming to touch their weapon. The only indication would be an eerie whistling sound...And the spurting blood, I guess. It'd be like a cheap kung fu movie.

YOHOHOHOOO I freaking love that series :]

(...)

See, the problem is to differentiate Omnom, the +iron sword+, that has killed a thousand goblins from a random +iron sword+ that killed a fluffy wambler.
Now if the sword had a certain composition of hanging rings that it is adorned with, which mark it as the sword of a certain civilization, people might react appropriately: Flee, if it's the sword of a certain exceptionally badass civ, or laugh, if it's the sword of a weak civ. The status of the piece of equipment would have to be noticeable to other people. This system would be equivalent to your example with the navy SEAL equipment.

Also, I don't think that equipment reputation should do nothing at all, it's just... What makes a *sword* that has killed 10 goblins better for goblin slaying than a *sword* that is newly produced? Sure, a piece of old equipment from a famed warrior might induce fear because you most likely have to be a good fighter to get it, but

1) The sword needs to be known and identifiable to the enemy, however, the rusty iron armor of king PROTOS THE SLAYER should give your companions a nice moral boost

2) it needs to be actually good, so a famous -copper sword- shouldn't induce more fear (or probably no fear at all) than an ¤adamantine sword¤ without reputation, because obviously the guy who made that sword famous could have done it with any sword laying around.
Thus said, the copper sword might have curiousity value, as in, it's interesting for a museum, but enemies shouldn't fear it, because it is not hard for someone with a it of money to get hold of the sword, while the adamantine sword would be hard to get, because such swords are seldom and can only be given to people who know how to use them.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 08:07:56 am by EvilTwin »

gordogomez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: June 15, 2012, 02:02:45 pm »

Unless it's a magical sword which increases the wielder's stats, effectively making him a better fighter, and therefore, subject of fear. I can't think of any real life analogy when magic is involved...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: June 15, 2012, 02:04:26 pm »

Perhaps you could think of it as a kind of successive identity weapon--whoever holds that sword shall be known as Kittenblossoms, slayer of goblins or something like that. Think like the Gray Fox's cowl in the Elder Scrolls.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: June 15, 2012, 02:10:45 pm »

Maybe more a suggestion.... so I won't green it. :-X

Now that you have entities and groups setting goals and acting on them in adventurermode, will you soon add these features also to groups in the Fortress mode?

So that groups such as familiy, inactive squads ect will coordinate their goals and actions more. Also intergroup; feuds, alliances etc. influencing an individuals' thoughts,likes etc. animals could claim territories and defend them.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: June 15, 2012, 02:13:31 pm »

That was via a magical effect.  The complete identity of the previous Grey Fox was utterly erased, you may recall.  So, that kind of throws that one back into the realm of Magical Weapons.

You could play pass the hat with identity in a manner like Green Lantern (not Magic, per se, but extra-terrestrial pseudo-magi-techno-essence stuff) or The Shadow even.  Maybe The Phantom.  But the latter two prized their anonymity, so a reputation preceding you might not work like you'd want in that case.   Hmmmm........

Headhanger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: June 15, 2012, 02:53:23 pm »

The discussion of weapons with reputations reminds me of Gandalf, in The Hobbit, revealing Glamdring and scaring the goblins. I know that Emeraldwind already made a Tolkien reference - I'm just adding my tuppence' worth.

Imagine there was a dwarf that went on a human-killing spree a hundred years ago. He died, eventually, but his axe was never recovered. All of the stories about the dwarf feature "his dreaded black axe, decorated with gemstones the colour of dusk". Then you see a dwarf the next day, and he's holding a black axe with gemstones the colour of- oh wait just a second!

O11O1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: June 15, 2012, 08:25:55 pm »

Perhaps a mere *Steel Mace* wouldn't be unique enough to really gain much reputation, but a  *«+Steel Mace+»* just might be, with it's hanging rings of bone and the image of a burning elephant on the shaft. Thus, once it becomes a Named Weapon, it's various multipliers could factor into how quickly it builds up a notable reputation.

The Spear That Slayed The Forgotten Beast also seems like something that would develop a reputation almost instantly, but the effect's potency might vary by how decorated and unique it is. A subtle encouragement to bling out our gear.
A slight smell of ions.....

... "My student guidance counselor said my personality test results came back, and my ideal career is as a brigand because I love hurting people and stealing stuff, with a Life Goal of killing 3 or 4 adventurers" ...

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: June 15, 2012, 08:28:40 pm »

I have a question about the recent devlogs.
Maybe somebody has more insight.

we'll be including non-lethal combat and a recognition by participants and bystanders of the various stages of escalation in the confrontations
I've shut off immediate enemy recognition so that people don't start fighting to the death in the streets.

Will this feature also fix the loyalty cascade issue when a dwarf attacks a were-dwarf or a husk-dwarf?
So maybe killing a were-civilian or a husk-civilian doesn't result in "fight-to-the-death" loyalty cascade.

I think it would be really cool if Toady implemented the new "recognition/escalation" issue and also chopped out these few bugs with the same stroke.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: June 15, 2012, 08:41:32 pm »

Now that you have entities and groups setting goals and acting on them in adventurermode, will you soon add these features also to groups in the Fortress mode?

So that groups such as familiy, inactive squads ect will coordinate their goals and actions more. Also intergroup; feuds, alliances etc. influencing an individuals' thoughts,likes etc. animals could claim territories and defend them.
Why is it blue?

And yea, there are plans to have internal drama for Forts. With Family Clans and Guilds bickering between themselves. I also asked a question a bit ago, weather this would also allow more In Fort Crime. (Thieves and murders), and Toady said that the  the personality rewrite could allow for that, but its main use was for the Army Arc.

A good rule of thumb, I think is that if something can have application in Adventure & Fort Mode, then it probably will be.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: June 15, 2012, 08:43:49 pm »

Why is it blue?

And yea, there are plans to have internal drama for Forts. With Family Clans and Guilds bickering between themselves. I also asked a question a bit ago, weather this would also allow more In Fort Crime. (Thieves and murders), and Toady said that the  the personality rewrite could allow for that, but its main use was for the Army Arc.

A good rule of thumb, I think is that if something can have application in Adventure & Fort Mode, then it probably will be.

A police would finally be important. Without one the families would be fighting for dominance, like a gang war.

...Oh god, the military just got even more dangerous to be in.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: June 15, 2012, 08:46:28 pm »

weather this would also allow more In Fort Crime. (Thieves and murders)

I think a little expansion on the justice system would be quite nice. I'm not sure if the feeding/drinking bugs are still in place, maybe those could be fixed and then possibly add a few new crime types, and maybe more forms of punishment/imprisonment. Though one of the main problems with the justice system is the fact that hammer-striking the shit out of a vampire means nothing pretty much. Maybe some kind of stake burning like a witch or something.

Is there any plans to improve upon the effectiveness of punishing a vampire? Punishing them for murdering just about always ends up giving them a few bruises and that's about it.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: June 16, 2012, 12:28:11 am »

I don't think a weapon's kill count should inspire fear at all.  I would think an item should only inspire unusual fear if A. It is actually more dangerous (this artifact sword causes goblins to burst into flame!) or B its part of a uniform for a group that inspires fear (this brooch is the symbol of a group of renowned goblin slayers).  Even if the fort champion's axe is distinctive and has thousand of kills, if some fisherdwarf ends up using it no one will be afraid of him because the fort's enemies are really just afraid of the champion, not his axe.  On the other hand, it should be possible to inspire fear by wielding a Hammerer's hammer, because having that associates the wielder with a dangerous position.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: June 16, 2012, 01:27:23 am »

I don't think a weapon's kill count should inspire fear at all.  I would think an item should only inspire unusual fear if A. It is actually more dangerous (this artifact sword causes goblins to burst into flame!) or B its part of a uniform for a group that inspires fear (this brooch is the symbol of a group of renowned goblin slayers).  Even if the fort champion's axe is distinctive and has thousand of kills, if some fisherdwarf ends up using it no one will be afraid of him because the fort's enemies are really just afraid of the champion, not his axe.  On the other hand, it should be possible to inspire fear by wielding a Hammerer's hammer, because having that associates the wielder with a dangerous position.
so to sum that up...

A weapon is only scary if the weapon IS what makes the wielder scary?
i.e. hammerer's hammer, the hammerer is not that scary, the hammer is.
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 748