Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3806757 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2370 on: June 12, 2012, 03:54:23 pm »

Will we be able to embark on other settlements anytime soon? I noticed I was able to embark on top of human towns way back in 40d, but the game wouldn't let me embark onto sections of them in 31.25 up through now.
Not anytime soon, no. Apart from the weirdness that you're invading a settlement without retaliation, there are, or at least used to be, other issues with embarking on towns that more or less break those sites.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: June 12, 2012, 09:39:18 pm »

New devlog.

Are personality traits going to affect exactly how different people react in combat situations? For example, someone who easily cracks under pressure might be likely to run away, and someone who gets angry very easily would be more likely to bring it on?

Will these kinds of reactions be added to Dwarf Fortress mode? For example, nervous dwarves would be more likely to run away from those starting first fights, whilst others might decide to actively participate.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 09:41:04 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: June 12, 2012, 10:03:56 pm »

Sheaths for swords would be a cool addition, though they weren't explicitly mentioned. It'd be cool to send the town hooligans running after knocking them around with your scabbard a bit.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: June 12, 2012, 10:28:47 pm »

So with the new complex faction interactions, will it be possible during Fort mode play for, say, some humans (for example) to show up on your map, without your being sure of what their intentions are; ie, you wouldn't know at first whether they were peaceful traders or bandits come to attack you?
Yep. Eventually.

New devlog.

Are personality traits going to affect exactly how different people react in combat situations? For example, someone who easily cracks under pressure might be likely to run away, and someone who gets angry very easily would be more likely to bring it on?
I think that what the Dev Log pretty much says. So, yes.

Will these kinds of reactions be added to Dwarf Fortress mode? For example, nervous dwarves would be more likely to run away from those starting first fights, whilst others might decide to actively participate.
Probably yea. The personality for Adventure Mode and Fort are more less the same system. Though the personality system of old, is being entirely tossed out. From what Toady said in DF Talks, its not suited for whats needed for the Army Arc.

I'm hoping that dorfs in an the army, trained together wont flee. But I hope that dorfs you assign in a 'on the fly' militia should freaken flee. On the bright side, hopefully civilian dorfs wont run away from fuckin everything.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: June 12, 2012, 10:51:21 pm »

Yea some kind of sheath or weapon strap would be cool.   Having your sword out all the time seems kind of overly aggressive, probably enough to keep the annoying kids and petty thugs away, but drawing a lot of attention from the guards.  But it seems kind of absurd to always stow your sword in your backpack every time so a place to stow your weapon and only your weapon seems like a good thing.

Bonus points for a simpler way to take it out then the current method too.  Having to (r)emove it from a long inventory list every time I want to use it or have to find the weapon strap in the inventory every time I want to put it away sounds like it would get old fast.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: June 12, 2012, 10:54:03 pm »

Maybe an addition to "g" (like campfires) or "R" (I.E shift+r, which IIRC doesn't do anything)?

BradUffner

• Bay Watcher
  • BradUffner has begun a mysterious construction.
    • View Profile
    • Gump Studio
« Reply #2376 on: June 13, 2012, 12:35:14 am »

Is there going to be any kind of "desensitization" to the fear of fighting that slowly builds up?  I can see hardened troops who have made it through dozens of battles being less likely to run away than the fresh from the fields farmer.
Raw Explorer - Easily navigate and edit your raw files via GUI! - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103360.0
Tile Genie - Merge multiple tilesets - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77724.0

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: June 13, 2012, 12:37:50 am »

Is there going to be combat realism with this release, meaning if you say, murder a entire kingdom and go to another, they will run in fear. And if yes, what of soldiers? If you slaughter a army alone, would hardened elites you fight later on flight or fight?
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: June 13, 2012, 12:42:22 am »

Is there going to be any kind of "desensitization" to the fear of fighting that slowly builds up?  I can see hardened troops who have made it through dozens of battles being less likely to run away than the fresh from the fields farmer.

As far as I know, this already exists? Like the "Is getting used to the tragedy" and "Does not really care about anything anymore". It does not directly remove fear, but it does that which you seem to want. Even if the whole current system is thrown out, I'm sure that this element will not be overlooked, and that dwarves and people will simply start getting used to seeing hostiles and death.
▼ It's all their fault. ▼

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: June 13, 2012, 01:03:58 am »

Having your sword out all the time seems kind of overly aggressive, probably enough to keep the annoying kids and petty thugs away, but drawing a lot of attention from the guards. 

*Looks at Greiger's avatar*

:o

Stop right there, criminal scum!

But seriously, great devlog.  I've always wanted NPCs to assess player appearance.  Wonder if a ragged beggar would get different responses from an armoured knight.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: June 13, 2012, 01:05:12 am »

It'd be funny if our super legenedary adventurers eventually get whacky skills like pulling out and sheathing their swords so fast they can cut someone in two without seeming to touch their weapon. The only indication would be an eerie whistling sound...And the spurting blood, I guess. It'd be like a cheap kung fu movie.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: June 13, 2012, 01:19:55 am »

Maybe an addition to "g" (like campfires) or "R" (I.E shift+r, which IIRC doesn't do anything)?

Why not add it as an option in 'A'?

It could have an option to "Draw Sword" or "Draw Dagger". It makes sense for it to be in the attacking options. Sheathing the weapon can have a similar mechanic.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: June 13, 2012, 05:14:59 am »

Will the new lethality aversion effect the behavior of military dwarves? What about your civilian dwarves? Right now military dwarves are always totally cool with risking their necks and civilian dwarves always turn tail at the first sight of trouble, but only adventure mode stuff has been mentioned in the devlog.

As far as I know, this already exists? Like the "Is getting used to the tragedy" and "Does not really care about anything anymore". It does not directly remove fear, but it does that which you seem to want. Even if the whole current system is thrown out, I'm sure that this element will not be overlooked, and that dwarves and people will simply start getting used to seeing hostiles and death.
Being used to tragedy is not the same as being down for a lethal confrontation at the drop of a hat.

blake77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: June 13, 2012, 07:22:27 am »

Would we be able to designate primary and secondary weapons?

It would be nice if in fort mode we could assign melee weapons to ranged squads as backup weapons.

cartmann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: June 13, 2012, 07:50:08 am »

Would fighting animals, that can't wield weapons be considered as non-lethal fighting? Would it go as far as saying that fighting a Hydra be non-lethal as it has no weapons?

I can just imagine how much of a kick in the balls it'd be to go up to a hydra, but everyone decides that its non lethal and starts wrestling and shit.
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 748