Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3806133 times)

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2325 on: June 09, 2012, 12:02:18 am »

Will the moving bandit groups raid fortresses or is that not on the menu at this point?
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: June 09, 2012, 03:52:06 am »

Will the moving bandit groups raid fortresses or is that not on the menu at this point?
I don't think that will happen until Toady gets to Army Arc and adds siege goals beyond just "kill everything".

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: June 09, 2012, 05:37:43 am »

Right now, they're not even moving. But yea, thats totally on the docket. With the end of goal of anyone that can reach you, and ascertains the goals to go to your Fort will be able to.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: June 09, 2012, 09:09:09 am »

If groups are actively tracked across the world during gameplay, I think this means fortress mode may feature raids. Be prepared to face general insanity with the next release.

Is the new release going to have the current worldgen stuff (population change, successions, settlements, wars) actively run during gameplay?

I suspect we may also be getting all the old structures (forest retreats, dark fortresses, and mountain halls) back in, though I can see this not being necessary... yet. If we get forest retreats, expect multi-tile trees.

I'd also like to promote the idea of boats here, at least in an abstract way. There should be a way for a bandit group from some island to raid you on a different continent.

Similarly, I think it should be possible for groups to traverse mountains and mountain peaks to get to you. It shouldn't be easy, but it should happen occasionally.

If the "group" happen to be necromancers, mountains and oceans shouldn't be an obstacle. Imagine being on an ocean fortress, and having hundreds of zombies crawl out of the ocean to lay siege to your fortress.

My predicted timescale would allow one month for each major feature. We can expect our next release at the end of June if Toady chooses to release just after he "activates the world", so we have worldgen progress in play, along with the timing features for bandit groups.

Adding forest retreats, mountain halls, and dark fortresses may take a month or two, including multi-tile trees.

I'd put an estimate of a week on non-lethal combat, which I consider to be a overestimate unless Toady decides to add in some of the "other aspects" of non-lethal combat, in which case it will take a month or so, likely to be wrapped into the taverns. Adding heroes, villains, taverns may take one to three months based on past experience from Release 1 and the Hauling changes, where each "feature" took around a month to work on.

Overall this leaves the estimate to the next release at between one and six months, with the "complete" release with the said features taking three to six months to finish.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: June 09, 2012, 09:29:51 am »

My predicted timescale would allow one month for each major feature. We can expect our next release at the end of June.

you haven't been here very long have you?

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: June 09, 2012, 10:23:42 am »

My predicted timescale would allow one month for each major feature. We can expect our next release at the end of June.

I giggled here.
▼ It's all their fault. ▼

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: June 09, 2012, 10:51:21 am »

I've been away for a while, and I haven't actually returned, but I noticed that, whilest checking up n updates today, there was a big epic post on the sixth about activating the world.
The sixth is my birthday.  And honestly, that "Oh, nothing much, guys, just doing some small scale mass entity movement interaction stuff" was kinda like a birthday present.
Cheers Toady.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: June 09, 2012, 11:50:41 am »

A slightly similar question than the previous, but What will this arc give to fortress mode ?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 12:17:51 pm by Naryar »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: June 09, 2012, 12:02:29 pm »

Overall this leaves the estimate to the next release at between one and six months, with the "complete" release with the said features taking three to six months to finish.

If Toady finished the single major feature and then released, we might get the new version by the end of June or beginning of July. Each of the features for "Release 1" took around a month or so to finish, so its not unreasonable. Carts and the Hauling release took around a month and a half to get out. The reason "Release 1" took so long was Toady added a large quantity of individual features (cities, night creatures, bridges and roads, all the new world constructions...) and that took a long time.

I've been here quite a while, actually.

A slightly similar question than the previous, but What will this arc give to fortress mode ?

You should really green this.

My opinion is you might get armies or caravans moving through your fortress embark, and you might get raided by bandits. At the moment, the only raids we have are from hostile civilisations and from necromancers, but not from bandits. Nonlethal combat can and probably should include a "subdue" order for capturing wild animals or hostiles alive. If worldgen is continued during gameplay then you will have proper successions to positions, which might occur during the game and within your fortress. It could also sort out the issue where historical figures loose their position when leaving your fort, so you might get two sieges lead by the same general each time, and continue to get the same Outpost Liason each year. If worldgen continues during gameplay, you might also have roads built to your fortress, and you may also be able to retire your fort.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 12:11:07 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Richards

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: June 09, 2012, 04:15:44 pm »

I found this really weird bug report on the tracker, apparently fat dwarves cause massive slow-downs. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5971

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: June 09, 2012, 04:47:01 pm »

What happened to the personality rewrite? I was under the impression it was a precursor to all this stuff about entities interacting with each-other.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: June 09, 2012, 05:13:26 pm »

What happened to the personality rewrite? I was under the impression it was a precursor to all this stuff about entities interacting with each-other.

I would assume it is part of all this and the rewrite is just being rewritten as the interactions come along.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: June 09, 2012, 07:33:11 pm »

Apparently entities will now have goals. Not sure if this will count towards personal goals, but it could.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: June 09, 2012, 08:50:40 pm »

It'd be fun to have caravans that didn't trade with you just passing through your embark in fortress mode that you could let pass through, or even hold up or slaughter completely if you were desperate for something. This could be expanded to allowing "rest stops" or the like to be made, where caravans would buy food from you for a small amount of money or their wares. Over the years, you could turn your fortress into a large-scale trading center if you played your cards right. That would only be possible, of course, by building a road through your fortress, or building on a major river, and perhaps just like in Sim City, there would be "road ends" at the edge of the map that it would behoove you to link up. This would make it less of a good idea to embark in an isolated spot- you'll get a hell of a lot more trade if, for example, you built your fortress on the road between two major cities. You, too, can influence the overworld through trade this way. For example, if there were a part of the world that had a lot of very prosperous towns and cities, you could get trade by building on the edge of that region- but if you're prosperous enough other civilizations will build settlements just beyond your fortress because you attract trade and trade that comes to you will also come to them.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: June 09, 2012, 09:16:46 pm »

Presumably everything that the Caravan release were going to give Fort Mode, but they're just reorganized and some of the releases were expanded upon. From those 9 releases, nothing was taken away, just reshuffled.

If the next release is bandits owning sites, and raiding other sites, then Forts might be getting ambushed from bandits.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 748