Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3814261 times)

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2070 on: May 13, 2012, 08:42:14 am »

Well, the devlogs seem to imply that moving objects other than  minecarts can collide now, so that's there already.

You could use just a regular (or modded to be heavier) cart for this sort of trap; if you don't want to store anything on it just don't hook the stop to a stockpile, I'd think.

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: May 13, 2012, 03:05:21 pm »

Are there any plans to make useless artifacts (like scepters and rings and whatnot) usable, like with the display case mod?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: May 13, 2012, 04:50:01 pm »

Are there any plans to make useless artifacts (like scepters and rings and whatnot) usable, like with the display case mod?

I'd be very happy to see that included. No more using weapon traps to display artifact weapons, or building asheries in noble bedrooms to make use of artifact barrels.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 04:51:59 pm by Geb »

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: May 13, 2012, 06:57:57 pm »

Toady, will multiple forms of government ever be possible? Will we always have to have a baron/count/duke/king, or can we have a republic or a democracy?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: May 14, 2012, 01:42:00 am »

Since you are tackling bugfixing again, how is the Mantis bug tracker working for you? I know that you've had it at least since early 2010, and that several volunteers help filter out duplicate entries and "not bugs". Are there other ways here that the community could make the system more effective?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: May 14, 2012, 02:25:26 am »

The short answer, is yes. Toady has spoken about Artifacts in dwarf fortress talks.
Here ya go: http://www.bay12games.com/media/df_7_missing_segment.mp3
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: May 14, 2012, 08:15:56 am »

Mr S cancels Be Productive This Week, interrupted by release of 0.34.08.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: May 14, 2012, 08:21:48 am »

Of course, it's released when I'm asleep because I have to work in the morning. It'll be about ten hours before I can play. >_<
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: May 14, 2012, 08:29:30 am »

Alright, well it came out before my finals, so I suppose that's better than during them. Fingers crossed for lack of save corrupting bugs!
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Jacko13

• Bay Watcher
  • Please Urist wear your masterwork steel armour
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: May 14, 2012, 09:57:51 am »

Toady, will multiple forms of government ever be possible? Will we always have to have a baron/count/duke/king, or can we have a republic or a democracy?

DORF democracy!  Much happy chuckling in contemplation of this wondrous idea. Can we guillotine all Our nobles in the revolution? ;-)

kirrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: May 14, 2012, 10:50:15 am »

Of course, it's released when I'm asleep because I have to work in the morning. It'll be about ten hours before I can play. >_<

Being a responsible adult SUXXORS! =P

I dun wunna work wifey! Lemme stay home, pweeeeesseeee?!

Yeah. And still at least twenty years until retirement when I can take up DF playing full time. =D I wonder if it'll be v1.0 by then.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: May 14, 2012, 01:25:18 pm »

DORF democracy!  Much happy chuckling in contemplation of this wondrous idea. Can we guillotine all Our nobles in the revolution? ;-)

In further news, the Fortress Overseer's party lost in the second round of elections today as public unrest over their "alcohol austerity" measures reached a fever pitch following a failure to properly oversee still jobs resulted in a solid year of nothing being brewed, culminating in a "military and legendaries only" alcohol rationing system. 

With the ouster of the moderate party, the parties elected were far-left and far-right wing parties which seem to be incapable of finding any middle ground upon which to forge a coalition government, especially on the contentious issues of kitten adoption vs. cat butchering.  If they cannot reach a coalition government, new elections will be held on the 14th of Slate.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

ninjanomnom

• Bay Watcher
  • Coder in training
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: May 14, 2012, 03:04:23 pm »

Was reading some posts earlier and got this question:

Is it possible/will there ever be an option to, instead of abandoning a fortress, let it become a full blown town/mountainhome? Like, an option that lets the computer take control of your fortress so that you can trade and interact with npcs in it just like a normal town in adventure mode?

This would make using the same world over again much more fun for adv mode. Also would be cool in fortress mode if you get merchants from your old fortress, trading things which you made. Thus you could trade for the artifacts you made then.

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: May 14, 2012, 03:09:58 pm »

Was reading some posts earlier and got this question:

Is it possible/will there ever be an option to, instead of abandoning a fortress, let it become a full blown town/mountainhome? Like, an option that lets the computer take control of your fortress so that you can trade and interact with npcs in it just like a normal town in adventure mode?

This would make using the same world over again much more fun for adv mode. Also would be cool in fortress mode if you get merchants from your old fortress, trading things which you made. Thus you could trade for the artifacts you made then.

This is already planned and is a large part of what the current Caravan Arc hopes to achieve (allowing world gen to continue).

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: May 14, 2012, 03:11:09 pm »

^^ninja'd
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 748