Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3814322 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2040 on: May 10, 2012, 08:05:43 pm »

The debug tests on massed goblins were fairly devastating and left a large conical skidmark.

Mandark_Laugh.wav

Who needs carts full of lead.  Fill them with steel serrated discs!
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: May 10, 2012, 08:44:37 pm »

I love the devlogs. But I'm not sure what he meant by "accidental".

I know, crazy right?  Deliberate booze-barrel grapeshotting of the dining hall should be goal of any self respecting fortress overseer.

I certainly wasn't thinking of anything quite that...benign.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: May 10, 2012, 11:00:00 pm »

Is anyone else struck by the frivolous violence of Threetoes railway?  Was an iron wall absolutely necessary?  :o

Dude, this is Dwarf Fortress.  Frivolous violence is the rule.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: May 10, 2012, 11:04:16 pm »

If you now have flight physics and collisions for items launched from minecarts, does that apply to other circumstances too? eg will dropping an anvil on someone work now? IIRC you had previously said that aiming difficulties were delaying flight physics for siege engines and projectiles so I'm guessing that much hasn't changed.

Edit: Nevermind, I'll check myself 8-) ...
The ({iron anvil}) strikes The Miner in the lower left leg, bruising the muscle through the (gray langur leather robe)!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 07:02:07 am by kaypy »

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: May 10, 2012, 11:07:19 pm »

I like how Toady used the word "grapeshotting".  It bodes well.

Load cart with orthoclase blocks -> fill with magma -> !!Fun!!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 11:09:30 pm by Arkenstone »

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: May 10, 2012, 11:35:48 pm »

Does the stance of a creature have any effect on how a colliding cart affects them?
For example a goblin standing would be knocked further than a crawling one IRL due to a higher center of mass.
I am wondering this because it is impossible for a combatant to charge a crawling opponent (but perhaps only because the only effects of charging being to stun and knock down a small distance away)
Oh and:
While i read somewhere size was a factor in collisions
Does flesh material have an effect on collisions?
Say, a more elastic creature taking less damage from skidding or a less dense creature not being knocked as far, despite its size.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #2046 on: May 11, 2012, 01:20:04 am »

What happens to magma-filled minecarts that are not magma-safe?  Do they take long enough to melt that we can make cannons that shoot globs of molten lead and magma at our enemies?  And do molten minecarts retain their momentum?
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: May 11, 2012, 01:26:53 am »

If you now have flight physics and collisions for items launched from minecarts, does that apply to other circumstances too? eg will dropping an anvil on someone work now? IIRC you had previously said that aiming difficulties were delaying flight physics for siege engines and projectiles so I'm guessing that much hasn't changed.
As in drop on them and cause damage to an ACME victim?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
« Reply #2048 on: May 11, 2012, 03:52:02 am »

You know, we were talking about this earlier, you only really need a non-ramp drop of 1 tile for carts to get to a place where dwarves can't path normally, but carts will be able to fall.  Spectacular Evel Knievel jumps are just for people who have more attachment to spectacle than their dwarves or cargo.

And/or want the cart to be able to get back to where it came from. There have been discussions about using mine-carts to enable segregation which means you'd need the path to be inaccessible to dwarves BUT cart traversable. By my count that means either flooding the track at segregation points or having a jump over an impassable gap.
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: May 11, 2012, 05:42:10 am »

... or just have a second one-level-drop on a separate track back? Not sure I see the problem.

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: May 11, 2012, 06:49:05 am »

As in drop on them and cause damage to an ACME victim?
Can you think of any other reason to drop an anvil on someone?

Other than maybe "Urist!! Stop goofing off and build the %&^#@$# forge already!" although even then causing damage is still at least a welcome addition...

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: May 11, 2012, 02:09:08 pm »

He means we can fill the minecarts with lava and "accidentally" chuck them at the elves and watch them get sprayed down with meltingly hot rock.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: May 11, 2012, 02:27:44 pm »

He means we can fill the minecarts with lava and "accidentally" chuck them at the elves and watch them get sprayed down with meltingly hot rock.

Well, considering as derails can occur at a normal turn if you're making the cart move too fast, it's entirely possible you would have an accidental derail at some point if you make your carts go down a long hill and let them pick up enough speed. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: May 11, 2012, 05:23:16 pm »

I'm suddenly seeing dwarven fortresses being full of airborne minecarts.  Not in some way to be fancy, but just for the sake of keeping them from being pathed into by dwarves.

It's Mt. Nevermind.  Only more dwarven, and with more magma.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: May 11, 2012, 09:57:45 pm »

Ooh, I just thought of something...

Anyone ever execute prisoners by dropping them down a volcano in a magma-proof cage?

What would happen if you put a prisoner's cage on a cart and launched it off the map?  For that matter, what would happen to dwarves that got launched off the map?  Or artifacts?

What if you built a fortress at the edge of the world, and then tried to launch yourself out of it in adventure mode?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 09:59:19 pm by Arkenstone »

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 748