Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3814233 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1935 on: May 06, 2012, 06:53:10 am »

So what are the numbers on smelting ore to make metal bars/cutting rough rock to make blocks ? Does mason and furnace operator skill level improve the number of bars/blocks used, so is furnace operator skill important now ?

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: May 06, 2012, 07:15:10 am »

Is there any change in the speed of smelting and/or block making jobs?

Otherwise the same dwarf as now will be ~4 times as productive.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: May 06, 2012, 09:32:34 am »

meteor strikes your house... chances are so astronomically slim...

I see what you did there  ;D

are you considering that if a MMO has a 1% drop rate for item X, then you are actually very likely to have more than one item X if you kill 100 of those enemies?

Yeah.  Statistics don't work like that at ALL.  It's that 1 out of every 100 is going to have anything at all.  There is about a 50% chance that after 100 trials there will be more results than 1, and a possibility, however slim, that after 1000 trials there will be no results at all.

Statistically speaking, it is that FOR EACH trial, there is a 1% chance.  Flipping a coin means that for each coin toss there is a 1 in 2 chance that the coin will come up heads.  The second time?  there is a 1 in 2 chance that the coin will come up heads.  The third time?  There is a 1 in 2 chance that the coin will come up heads.  etc etc etc ad nauseum.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Gilihad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: May 06, 2012, 09:53:57 am »

edit: moved to relevant discussion.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 09:19:31 pm by Gilihad »
吴钧非君也非臣也非小人也不善不恶欲无道无名

unseenmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: May 06, 2012, 10:14:49 am »

Inquiring mind wants to know; why couldn't we have a new set of mining designations for too-big-to-lift stone > furniture grade boulders > blocks > craft grade boulders > rubble > then empty space?

When a dwarf mines a tile he tries his best to achieve the desired designation and fails to a greater or lesser degree. The degree of failure would be based on his skill level and the worse he fails the farther up or down the above size/quality scale the resulting mined material would be.

Also, as an aside, I have always wanted the ability to generate rubble and/or dirt for use in aboveground (and now natural cavern) landscaping.
Rubble could be dumped onto and consumed by tiles that trees/shrubs/grass can't grow on to change them into fertile plantlife supporting tiles.

Aside aside again, buckets. Rubble should probably be carryable in small handfulls, then more in buckets, then a lot more in wheelbarrows. Just a thought.

Thanks for all the awesome Toady.
Flying monkeys will eat your eyes.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: May 06, 2012, 10:28:50 am »

we're no longer discussing this on this thread

Ok, since nearly half a dozen pages have been posted in as many hours, with only a scarce few actual questions, I have made a dedicated thread for the rubble/slow mining discussion.

Quantumtroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: May 06, 2012, 01:53:54 pm »

This is only tangentially related to the current hauling changes, but:

Toady, what is your opinion of requiring water to brew beer, rum, ale, and similar booze?  Wine and other fermented fruit juices don't require water.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: May 06, 2012, 02:26:16 pm »

This is only tangentially related to the current hauling changes, but:

Toady, what is your opinion of requiring water to brew beer, rum, ale, and similar booze?  Wine and other fermented fruit juices don't require water.
I can't find the quote, but he is for it. It's been specifically asked about, and he has answered that he is for it. However, like many questions of this nature, he has no timetable for it.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: May 06, 2012, 08:25:54 pm »

Hey, so I saw this question over on my derail thread about the changes to the mining system, and noticed it hadn't been posted here yet:

What effect with the new mining drop rate/ore smelt rate have on adamantine, and any modded-in deep metal/stone/gem for that matter?

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

O11O1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: May 06, 2012, 09:09:48 pm »

meteor strikes your house... chances are so astronomically slim...

I see what you did there  ;D

are you considering that if a MMO has a 1% drop rate for item X, then you are actually very likely to have more than one item X if you kill 100 of those enemies?

Yeah.  Statistics don't work like that at ALL.  It's that 1 out of every 100 is going to have anything at all.  There is about a 50% chance that after 100 trials there will be more results than 1, and a possibility, however slim, that after 1000 trials there will be no results at all.

Statistically speaking, it is that FOR EACH trial, there is a 1% chance.  Flipping a coin means that for each coin toss there is a 1 in 2 chance that the coin will come up heads.  The second time?  there is a 1 in 2 chance that the coin will come up heads.  The third time?  There is a 1 in 2 chance that the coin will come up heads.  etc etc etc ad nauseum.

While a true statement about independent trials, it's not the full matter at hand. We're more concerned about a set of independent trials. Taking your coin example, If I'm running bets that no more than 2 out of 5 coins will come up heads, while each toss has a 1/2 chance, when you look through the possible outcomes of all five tosses, the numbers come out differently.
A slight smell of ions.....

... "My student guidance counselor said my personality test results came back, and my ideal career is as a brigand because I love hurting people and stealing stuff, with a Life Goal of killing 3 or 4 adventurers" ...

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: May 06, 2012, 09:24:49 pm »

Since I took my STAT 350 final yesterday, (yes, on a SATURDAY!) I am happy to tell you the odds of getting 0 stones out of a 3x3 room is (9!/(9!*0!))(.25^0)(.75^9) = 19683:262144 = ~7.5%
4x4 room: ~1%
5x5 room: ~0.075%

Look up the Binomial Distribution for more details.

(Also, carry on this discussion on another thread...)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 09:27:06 pm by Arkenstone »

Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: May 06, 2012, 09:31:34 pm »

Since I took my STAT 350 final yesterday, (yes, on a SATURDAY!) I am happy to tell you the odds of getting 0 stones out of a 3x3 room is (9!/(9!*0!))(.25^0)(.75^9) = 19683:262144 = ~7.5%
4x4 room: ~1%
5x5 room: ~0.075%

Look up the Binomial Distribution for more details.

(Also, carry on this discussion on another thread...)
Isn't this overcomplicating things? A simple (1-0.25)^(3*3) would have sufficed, because there is a 0.25 chance of dropping a stone, therefore a 1-0.25 chance of not dropping a stone.

Same formula, but I think the derivation is simpler.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: May 06, 2012, 09:47:24 pm »

That's only because you're looking for 'all failures'.  The formula for a binomial distribution will give you the chance of exactly x successes out of n trials with a one-trial success rate of p, such that:

b(x;n,p) = xCn*(p)^x*(1-p)^(n-x)

Therefore the chances of exactly 5 stone from a 4x4 room is ~18%, or 48361131:268435456 to be exact.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: May 06, 2012, 09:49:11 pm »

It's an aggregation of multiple trials expressed as an overall percentage chance.  Valid way of looking at things, either way.

You're really looking at the same problem from a different perspective.  Whichever is easier for you to grok, although I think Arkenstone's method yields a more precise answer.  They're both pretty accurate tho.

I didn't make it to STAT 350 tho, and combinatorials make my head spin, so I may not know what I'm talking about.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Captain Crazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: May 06, 2012, 10:29:12 pm »

some questions, seņores

While you have been working on carts and overhauls, what unrelated bugs have been squashed in the meantimes? Any major bugs you've fixed, such as stacking?
I usually think of Armok as the pure essence of FUCK YOU!
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 748