Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3808716 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1560 on: April 18, 2012, 11:51:39 pm »

DF Z Levels don't really have ceiling and you can't add constructs to the 'top' of a tile. Which means you can't do Loop De Loops.

Mind you, just because something's not in the game doesn't mean it'll never be in the game.

Yeah, but I doubt Toady's going to add ceilings for the express purpose of allowing minecart loop-de-loops :P

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: April 19, 2012, 12:29:17 am »

DF Z Levels don't really have ceiling and you can't add constructs to the 'top' of a tile. Which means you can't do Loop De Loops.

Mind you, just because something's not in the game doesn't mean it'll never be in the game.
In general that's true, but ceilings sound like something that will probably never go in. It would require overhauling some really fundamental stuff, and there's not much gained at all from it.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: April 19, 2012, 01:14:57 am »

... Do ceilings really need to be in the game? Why can't the game just check whether or not the above tile has a floor/wall material? That seems like it would be sufficient. I don't see why the floor of one tile can't also act as the ceiling of the tile below.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: April 19, 2012, 02:05:02 am »

... Do ceilings really need to be in the game? Why can't the game just check whether or not the above tile has a floor/wall material? That seems like it would be sufficient. I don't see why the floor of one tile can't also act as the ceiling of the tile below.

But in this case how would you differentiate a dead end with a ceiling from a sort of loop wher ethe cart is supposed to go up the wall and roll on the ceiling ?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: April 19, 2012, 02:09:16 am »

A loop where a cart goes up a wall doesn't require ceilings, it requires some kind of inverse ramp. The differentiation isn't between "floors" and "ceilings" (which are fundamentally identical in DF), but between a 90-degree angle between a wall and ceiling/floor and a more gradual curve.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: April 19, 2012, 02:17:37 am »

I've seen a post just like this 2-3 pages ago. I dont feel like checking, but it's virtually verbatim. Did you copy/paste? Despite the redundancy, I agree that this sounds like a logical solution... A surface acting as a floor to the room above, and a ceiling to the room below.

That said, I'd rather have a rail system closer to Transport Tycoon, than Rollercoaster Tycoon. Remember people, this is a band of hardy and highly industrial people! They came to build a military and industrial outpost, not to build a themepark. When the novelty wears off, you'll want the carts to be as efficient as possible.

A loop where a cart goes up a wall doesn't require ceilings, it requires some kind of inverse ramp. The differentiation isn't between "floors" and "ceilings" (which are fundamentally identical in DF), but between a 90-degree angle between a wall and ceiling/floor and a more gradual curve.

It requires inverse ramps? There are gradual curves? Did you play some early build before all others? =O

Well tell me then, you decide to make a loop. How do you stop it from being a closed circle? How do you shift the entrance gently to the left, and the exit gently to the right? Imagine taking a pair of 90 degree turns while hanging upside down at the mercy of the gravity.

More importantly, how do you build constructions (any constructions) on the ceiling without rewriting the entire map format and all the little changes that THAT would break?
▼ It's all their fault. ▼

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: April 19, 2012, 02:20:36 am »

I wasn't referring to loops there, just the more general and basic concept of a cart moving in a circle, from floor to wall to ceiling. A loop with an entrance and exit is obviously more complicated, but requires the same basic principles in addition to some others.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #1567 on: April 19, 2012, 12:22:32 pm »

Reposting, sorry.

apart from the fact, that this is totally a suggestion and not a question which is not meant to be greened... using green instead of limegreen makes my eyes bleed!

Seconded, thirded, and fourthed. I've wanted to say this every time I saw the darker green text, and I did not because I felt that it's not in my place and that I'd be just a lone voice. I had to select the text to be able to read it.

Use this javascript bookmarklet to turn green->limegreen. I wrote it for the same reason.

javascript:%20%20%20x%20=%20new%20RegExp('(color:%20green;)',%20'gi');%20%20b%20=%20document.body.innerHTML;%20%20b%20=%20b.replace(x,%20'color:%20limegreen;');%20%20void(document.body.innerHTML%20=%20b);

If you're using the new link, you need to click on the link to the top post (eg. Re: Future of the Fortress), otherwise it will move you to the new "new" post.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: April 19, 2012, 04:25:36 pm »

Toady is there a hardcode that prevents caravans from bringing sea life to your fortress if they have tags like [PET] or [COMMON_DOMESTIC]?
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: April 19, 2012, 05:01:19 pm »

They can only domesticate creatures that live in the biomes they build their cities (or equivalent) on or slightly around. 

Sea creatures are generally out what with being out at sea, and there not being any sort of naval aspects to this game yet.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: April 19, 2012, 07:21:21 pm »

They can only domesticate creatures that live in the biomes they build their cities (or equivalent) on or slightly around. 

Sea creatures are generally out what with being out at sea, and there not being any sort of naval aspects to this game yet.

This was pointed out to me. I enabled dwarf civs to be able to embark on oceans. They created mountain homes in the middle of the sea. Oil platforms for the win? Anyways, this had no effect.
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: April 19, 2012, 08:31:22 pm »

I haven't seen any mention of this, but all the talk of rollercoasters and whatnot has me asking:

what about loop-de-loops?
This has been asked twice, I think so far.

Thanks for the answer. I did look, but this is a crowded thread. I'm not all that dissapointed. Just a little. It was on for the hilarity that would ensue that I even thought to ask. Epic Jumps and "Drop Ship" style military tracks will be fun enough.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: April 19, 2012, 11:34:38 pm »

It's been three days since the last blog update now. That hasn't happened in a while. Must have been a hell of a birthday.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: April 20, 2012, 08:50:03 am »

I don't see the point in making a big deal out of daily reports - sometimes there just isn't anything to report, even without a party. 

Sometimes you spend all day just finding out about a bug, tracking it down, and killing it, and there isn't much reason except for some arbitrary need to tell your twitter followers every individual thing you've eaten on a real-time basis to post to people about how you've solved a problem that you or they never knew existed until this morning.

Besides, some days you just don't feel all that motivated, whether sick or just exhausted, and would rather stay in bed.

If it's just skip a day or lie to us and report only half of what you do on your good days, so that you can have some extra report padding for your bad days, I'd rather he only write posts when he has something to actually say.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 08:52:03 am by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: April 20, 2012, 10:58:21 am »

If it's just skip a day or lie to us and report only half of what you do on your good days, so that you can have some extra report padding for your bad days, I'd rather he only write posts when he has something to actually say.

I agree with this, but still feel sad when I go to the updates page and see that it hasn't changed. If for no other reason then because Toady does such a good job of making minor bugs and status updates so darn humorous.
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 748