Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3808554 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1530 on: April 16, 2012, 05:34:31 pm »

I'm amazed we haven't seen any plans for a magma-powered cart supercollider.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: April 16, 2012, 07:17:51 pm »

I've been thinking that there might be a now-possible repeater setup:

Or you could just make a cart that goes around a track with accelerators and have a pressure plate at timed intervals. 

Of course, the problem with the pressure plates is that you need to keep the cart ON the plate for 100 ticks to make the pressure plate reset properly.
Can't the pressure plate turn on the roller?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: April 16, 2012, 07:22:21 pm »

Can't the pressure plate turn on the roller?

Well, to make sense in a scenario where a cart sitting on a pressure plate turns on a roller that pushes it off that pressure plate, that means that the roller would have to be on the same tile as the pressure plate.  Which is, again, what I've been talking about this whole time.

Otherwise, you have to set up a two-cart system where a cart will stall out on top of a roller, and the second cart causes the launching of the first.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: April 16, 2012, 07:35:49 pm »

You know, with how much you talked about these systems and stuff, I've already started wondering if there's some nightly build being passed around, with everyone knowing about it except me. Really, how much CAN you extrapolate from a few devlog?

Also, we really need the easy compact logical gates. Kohaku's FPS concern is already a reason enough on its own, but putting it temporarily aside...

Yes, we can make all kinds of logical gates with the current mechanisms, but in that case we'll be making gates for the sake of making gates, not to speed up our item/personell transport with carts.

You may argue that this is a part of fun, and you may argue that it IS the fun, and that you set it up and it wondrously works on its own afterwards. But I'll see you on your TENTH fort, where you would realise that you need to set everything up anew, headdesk and say "Not AGAIN...."
▼ It's all their fault. ▼

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: April 16, 2012, 08:01:43 pm »

You may argue that this is a part of fun, and you may argue that it IS the fun, and that you set it up and it wondrously works on its own afterwards. But I'll see you on your TENTH fort, where you would realise that you need to set everything up anew, headdesk and say "Not AGAIN...."

That's OK, my forts take so long to plan and enact that I only tend to do about one "real" fort every year or two, anyway.  (Nevermind the dozen or so disposable experiment forts built to test all the theories before allowing them to go into practice.)  By then, there's a new feature release.

"Measure 8,000,000,000 times, cut once."

Making the plan and knowing it will work is in some ways more fun than the actual task of carrying it out, anyway.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: April 16, 2012, 08:43:15 pm »

That's OK, my forts take so long to plan and enact that I only tend to do about one "real" fort every year or two, anyway.  (Nevermind the dozen or so disposable experiment forts built to test all the theories before allowing them to go into practice.)  By then, there's a new feature release.

"Measure 8,000,000,000 times, cut once."

Making the plan and knowing it will work is in some ways more fun than the actual task of carrying it out, anyway.

Lucky you. FPS decay forces me to eventually start a new fort. You can also clearly tell that I plan as I go, instead.

But that aside, you still need systems and gates that take up ungodly amount of space just so that you could raise one bridge while lowering another with a single lever. The way I see it, if the mechanisms take up more room than the project that I am making (and then slightly adjusted by the importance of the project), even if (and also especially) it's a very single timed floodgate, then there is something wrong with the system.
▼ It's all their fault. ▼

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: April 17, 2012, 12:01:08 am »

Quote from: front page
I fixed up some high-speed physics problems that caused energy to be created in the carts (so they'd go faster and faster...), confirmed that the Newton's cradle from the FotF questions works

Curses, our hopes of faster-than-light minecarts were thwarted.  You win again, Physics.

NEXT TIME, REALITY, NEXT TIIIIIIIIIIIIIME!
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: April 17, 2012, 12:12:57 am »

So it sounds like this release wont encompass all the hauling improvements. Which is cool.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: April 17, 2012, 12:28:06 am »

Curses, our hopes of faster-than-light minecarts were thwarted.  You win again, Physics.

NEXT TIME, REALITY, NEXT TIIIIIIIIIIIIIME!

Sig'd
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: April 17, 2012, 12:39:10 am »

Overall, to wrap up the hauling changes, we still have to do . . . fluid/minecart interactions

Interesting. Wonder if that'll involve using carts as buckets with wheels, or just making water push carts around.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: April 17, 2012, 01:11:40 am »

I wonder what will make us to build rails at all? Why not to build bridges, a few tiles from 1 stone, everywhere instead? It's faster and cheaper.

For my part, it'll be because of tantruming dwarves. And stray magma, assuming magma doesn't wipe out rails.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: April 17, 2012, 01:11:53 am »

Overall, to wrap up the hauling changes, we still have to do . . . fluid/minecart interactions

Interesting. Wonder if that'll involve using carts as buckets with wheels, or just making water push carts around.
Well, there defiantly community pressure for Minecarts to hold liquids, and to dump liquids. Being displaced by liquids shouldnt shouldnt be that much of a hassle. There code already in place of that, and I'd be willing to bet that Tools are already enabled with that compatibility.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: April 17, 2012, 05:12:10 am »

I don't think I saw this asked, so here goes:

Will we need to build supports under constructed tracks that extend into open space?  That is building things like wooden lattices and supports under tracks that cross a canyon or deep underground pit.

Building dwarf roller coasters and underground mine track courses just wouldn't be the same without this sort of thing.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 05:13:54 am by orius »
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: April 17, 2012, 05:26:54 am »

ToadyOne: installs game mechanics. Inadvertently creates infinite velocity engine. In a mine cart.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: April 17, 2012, 05:29:04 am »

I don't think I saw this asked, so here goes:

Will we need to build supports under constructed tracks that extend into open space?  That is building things like wooden lattices and supports under tracks that cross a canyon or deep underground pit.

Building dwarf roller coasters and underground mine track courses just wouldn't be the same without this sort of thing.
No. Toady hasn't spoken about changing the Cave In Mechanics for this release. Even though World Generated bridges do have suppor arches underneath them, player constructs will probably still follow the overly simple rule of at least one support.

Though reworking the Cave In Mechanics have been spoken of previously, it doesnt seem to be hinted at on the Dev Goal page.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 748