Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3808410 times)

BradUffner

• Bay Watcher
  • BradUffner has begun a mysterious construction.
    • View Profile
    • Gump Studio
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1500 on: April 16, 2012, 01:27:07 am »

still no report... armok forbid but, is toady DEAD?

I'm always pleasantly surprised when we get one on a weekend.  Weekends are usually reserved for making ASCII art and crayon drawings.
Raw Explorer - Easily navigate and edit your raw files via GUI! - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103360.0
Tile Genie - Merge multiple tilesets - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77724.0

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: April 16, 2012, 01:39:42 am »

Will we be able to launch minecarts via the bridge-a-pult?
The only known changes to bridges is that they magically act like mine cart rails. There 'tossing' ability, probably hasn't changed at all.

Also:

Is there any plan to let a player establish a fort, and then take a new starting squad and start another fort after getting the first one up and running, thereby extending the holdings/exportable goods/import needs of the players civilization?
Yep.

That is probably one of the major goals of the Army Arc. It also cross over with the Starting Scenarios for forts too, and the tangential goal of just managing a Civilization.   
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 02:06:20 am by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Cobaldunderpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: April 16, 2012, 02:02:51 am »

Will we be able to launch minecarts via the bridge-a-pult?
The only known changes to bridges is that they magically act like mine cart rails. They're 'tossing' ability, probably hasn't changed at all.

Also:

Is there any plan to let a player establish a fort, and then take a new starting squad and start another fort after getting the first one up and running, thereby extending the holdings/exportable goods/import needs of the players civilization?
Yep.

That is probably one of the major goals of the Army Arc. It also cross over with the Starting Scenarios for forts too, and the tangential goal of just managing a Civilization.
I so want this. I really wanna be able to explore and get into the history of the worlds I create. I just don't want my established forts to turn into dusty dark tombs in order for me to do it.
"I'm sorry, so you want me to make your underpants out of cobalt or kobolds?"

"Eh, whatever"

Lac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: April 16, 2012, 03:02:54 am »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile

Lac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: April 16, 2012, 03:17:34 am »

Sorry; I saw the mis-corrected grammar and couldn't resist.  I did actually feel guilty enough for posting it that I've turned my computer back on to edit in something more constructive.  So, err... Right-angle track turns seem at odds with a realistic physics model.  Either Toady is making the rails extremely grippy, or he's got quite a wide arc going on the tile; I wonder which he has modeled.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: April 16, 2012, 04:20:53 am »

I wonder what will make us to build rails at all? Why not to build bridges, a few tiles from 1 stone, everywhere instead? It's faster and cheaper.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: April 16, 2012, 04:59:17 am »

Possibly you don't need an architect to design a rail system like a bridge.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: April 16, 2012, 05:11:27 am »

I wonder what will make us to build rails at all? Why not to build bridges, a few tiles from 1 stone, everywhere instead? It's faster and cheaper.
Bridges can't have stops, or accelerators. And bridges might not be able to let Carts turn.

Though this would probably ultimetly look silly, and might just be exploitive of a feature in its infancy.

Gilihad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: April 16, 2012, 06:00:59 am »

still no report... armok forbid but, is toady DEAD?
It's been less than two days...
吴钧非君也非臣也非小人也不善不恶欲无道无名

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: April 16, 2012, 07:26:42 am »

This is a suggestion, do not view it

One of the things I remember suggesting a while ago in the big Improved Mechanics/Traps Wishlist thread was a "black box" that could fit into one tile, but be designed in a manner of "pop-up window" that let you designate inputs, outputs, and jam it full of gears, so that you could make a compact form of any sort of gear assembly you could physically manage to make work. 

It would let players retain the ability to design complex gear logic systems manually, thus meaning that actually understanding gear logic was rewarded in play, while making a much simpler and smaller object for the game to track and save FPS (because the whole assembly could be considered one object for temperature and pathfinding and all those other FPS hogging reasons). 

People didn't like the idea of a pop-up menu, however.

I very much want this. It's a great idea. And it failed because people could not agree on the final interface? Sad world.

I literally dreamed, last night, (among other stuff) how I was managing some machinery in a very small room. I set the final palm sized gear inside (made of metal, and pressed, not cut), then got the machine started. I do not remember what happened next, but it tasted like success, strawberries, and rainbow, all at the same time.

And omfg, you looked =O Bad syringe psycho, bad!

Spoiler: Dejavu (click to show/hide)
▼ It's all their fault. ▼

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: April 16, 2012, 07:57:38 am »

This is a suggestion, do not view it
One of the things I remember suggesting a while ago in the big Improved Mechanics/Traps Wishlist thread was a "black box" that could fit into one tile, but be designed in a manner of "pop-up window" that let you designate inputs, outputs, and jam it full of gears, so that you could make a compact form of any sort of gear assembly you could physically manage to make work. 

It would let players retain the ability to design complex gear logic systems manually, thus meaning that actually understanding gear logic was rewarded in play, while making a much simpler and smaller object for the game to track and save FPS (because the whole assembly could be considered one object for temperature and pathfinding and all those other FPS hogging reasons). 

People didn't like the idea of a pop-up menu, however.

Oh my, this would be truly beautiful, altough its usefulness would be somewhat limited right now since we don't have much use for complex mechanics (IE stuff that requires more then just linking a lever to a door/bridge/floodgate/hatch). It would still be pretty fun to mess around with though, specialy with huge megaprojects using many pumps and fluid logic and maybe carts/rails, in the future.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 08:14:31 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: April 16, 2012, 08:30:19 am »

Fortress retirement has been touched upon frequently:

Spoiler: quotes (click to show/hide)

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: April 16, 2012, 09:00:21 am »

Which brings the question.

If tracks will need to be laid out in lines, will constructed rails function tilewise like walls and floors, or will they work more like axles and bridges?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: April 16, 2012, 09:09:14 am »

he mentioned that they can be built just like constructions.
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 748