Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3808324 times)

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1485 on: April 15, 2012, 02:53:47 am »

Perfection is an admirable (albeit ultimately unattainable) goal in reality, but in games it tends to eliminate fun.

Ah, but attempting to obtain perfection can be a game in and of itself.  ;)
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: April 15, 2012, 08:24:22 am »

Not strictly related to the FotF, but I'm curious...

What text editor do you prefer to use when developing/writing raws?

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: April 15, 2012, 09:26:46 am »

EDIT: More seriously, though, I prefer running my forts in the background while I do other things.  I value automation above all else.  I want to fuss for days over getting every minor detail right to set up a system that works without me having to constantly correct it, and then never have to touch that system again because it works.
That's more or less the way I play as well, but I don't mind losing a dwarf here and there, and I do like dealing with the odd problems that can sometimes result from things I don't think through all the way.

But when you ge tto the point where you're neither putting things in the game nor taking input, you're not playing anymore. You've basically set up an aquarium, where you can watch dwarves going around. Stories happen when something wrong, interesting stories happen when something goes awfully wrong.
So rather than seek perfection, I seek the spot where I can safely assume everything is going to be alright but a few steps below perfection to see how everything will be screwed up.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: April 15, 2012, 09:31:30 am »

EDIT: More seriously, though, I prefer running my forts in the background while I do other things.  I value automation above all else.  I want to fuss for days over getting every minor detail right to set up a system that works without me having to constantly correct it, and then never have to touch that system again because it works.
That's more or less the way I play as well, but I don't mind losing a dwarf here and there, and I do like dealing with the odd problems that can sometimes result from things I don't think through all the way.

But when you ge tto the point where you're neither putting things in the game nor taking input, you're not playing anymore. You've basically set up an aquarium, where you can watch dwarves going around. Stories happen when something wrong, interesting stories happen when something goes awfully wrong.
So rather than seek perfection, I seek the spot where I can safely assume everything is going to be alright but a few steps below perfection to see how everything will be screwed up.

That might be the way you guys play, but it's not the way I play.  And I'm not so strange that nobody else plays the same way I do, either. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: April 15, 2012, 09:43:43 am »

That might be the way you guys play, but it's not the way I play.  And I'm not so strange that nobody else plays the same way I do, either. 

Do you pretty much just wing it? cause thats about what i do.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: April 15, 2012, 10:08:41 am »

You lot are massively overcomplicating the whole automated stop/go thing. Just stop it on a ramp with a door/floodgate/hatch/whatever stopping it from continuing.

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: April 15, 2012, 12:08:34 pm »

How hard is it to plain simply install a logical gate system into general mechanics?

As someone who has programmed games, I found it very easy as a developer, and as a player, very hard to do while using rudimentary logical operators.

To reinforce my point, I'll say that even though you can create a turing complete computer in DF, or Minecraft, or somesuch, they take too much place. You make them as big megaprojects that are as subtle as a thorn in your eye, when they would have been more useful if you could give them a compact form.

Take the pumps for example. They are fairly complex systems taking only 2 tiles. Screw presses? 1 tile. And I can imagine them being full of little cogs and mechanisms. I would imagine that logical gates (actually the abstracted mechanisms for them) could very easily fit into one square each. Sure the mechanisms are awesome, but they really dont have to take so much space. A gear is huge and takes a whole tile, I find it very conceivable that the notoriously crafty dwarves could make a gear that fits into a single hand, and make a logical gate mechanism that fits into a tile.

▼ It's all their fault. ▼

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: April 15, 2012, 01:36:51 pm »

You can't just wing it when you are trying to build a cartputer, though.  Unreliability kills the whole point of the processor. 

You lot are massively overcomplicating the whole automated stop/go thing. Just stop it on a ramp with a door/floodgate/hatch/whatever stopping it from continuing.

Provided smashing into a door doesn't actually cause a derailment or fling the contents of a cart, and there is never a need to have an actual stop, just tons of accelerators that could actually work. 

This is a suggestion, do not view it

One of the things I remember suggesting a while ago in the big Improved Mechanics/Traps Wishlist thread was a "black box" that could fit into one tile, but be designed in a manner of "pop-up window" that let you designate inputs, outputs, and jam it full of gears, so that you could make a compact form of any sort of gear assembly you could physically manage to make work. 

It would let players retain the ability to design complex gear logic systems manually, thus meaning that actually understanding gear logic was rewarded in play, while making a much simpler and smaller object for the game to track and save FPS (because the whole assembly could be considered one object for temperature and pathfinding and all those other FPS hogging reasons). 

People didn't like the idea of a pop-up menu, however.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: April 15, 2012, 01:37:44 pm »

Well, that's one of the things that makes DF such a great game, isn't it? The forum is teeming with a diversity of players, each with a "correct" playing style. Yours is as valid as anyone else's, not because more people play in that style (and I think you might be surprised to find out how many people don't), but because it's based off of your own concept of goals within the game. I have different goals. Dae and Cruxador have theirs. The beauty of a game as open-ended as DF is that it has no built-in goals - the only "point" in playing rests in the hands and mind of the player.

Likewise, arguments about playing styles and goals are pointless, because such concepts are subjective.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: April 15, 2012, 02:15:07 pm »

You can't just wing it when you are trying to build a cartputer, though.  Unreliability kills the whole point of the processor. 

Provided smashing into a door doesn't actually cause a derailment or fling the contents of a cart, and there is never a need to have an actual stop, just tons of accelerators that could actually work. 

Even if high speed collisions do, you could probably strategically place accelerators, ramps and stop tiles to get it to hit nice and gently, then release at will.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: April 15, 2012, 05:55:42 pm »

What is the third argument in [CDI:TARGET_VERB:2nd:3rd:??? (always NA so far as I've seen)]?

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: April 15, 2012, 06:28:05 pm »

What is the third argument in [CDI:TARGET_VERB:2nd:3rd:??? (always NA so far as I've seen)]?

It's for if the interaction is mutual, which is only used in head-bumps right now, I think.

Code: [Select]
[CDI:VERB:head-bump:head-bumps:bump heads]
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: April 15, 2012, 10:45:59 pm »

I wonder it the all mighty toady, happened to turn on recording when testing the minecart launch, goblin fight...

If so... Please release!
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: April 16, 2012, 01:15:50 am »

Will we be able to launch minecarts via the bridge-a-pult?

Also:

Is there any plan to let a player establish a fort, and then take a new starting squad and start another fort after getting the first one up and running, thereby extending the holdings/exportable goods/import needs of the players civilization?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 01:18:44 am by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: April 16, 2012, 01:17:06 am »

still no report... armok forbid but, is toady DEAD?
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 748