Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3808282 times)

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1425 on: April 13, 2012, 05:44:14 am »

The new dev log does sound awesome, but remember that in practice badass stunts like that will be extremely rare. That one required a specifically built track, "random" chance of an enemy in the right place, and possibly also the random chance of the dodge.

That specific scenario is extremely rare. But Dwarf fortress is 75% built of random, hilarious, absurd, rare events.

I foresee many a cavern-coaster having the military derail to fight giant cave swallows and what all else. As Hiiri said, it's less about having it happen with any frequency, and more knowing it could happen.

I'm much more intrigued by the comment on letting caged creatures do more, since I've got no idea what that might entail. Bears swiping through the bars? Monkeys stealing booze from passersby? Dare I say, prisoner escapes?

My suspicion is that cages will stop making their inhabitants invulnerable, based on an assumption that Minecarts are using the same code as Cages to hold things. Cages could just stretch the imagination enough that their contents wouldn't drown (the cage is a sealed box), but there's no way you can explain not drowning when you're sat in a mine cart under 10 urists of water.
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: April 13, 2012, 06:48:53 am »

As long as we can control the terrain, we can control the battle.

...This deserves an epic movie quote in response, but sadly I cannot think of any that would fit...

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: April 13, 2012, 07:44:15 am »

I would like to know if we will be able to fill a minecart with items, launch it down a ramp, and then throw it at goblins and expect the items in the minecart to spread, hit and possibly damage creatures, like the item was thrown ?

By items i obviously mean throwing *large serrated iron discs*, -goblin bone bolts- x25 or some other ridiculously overblown option like !!giant desert scorpion venom barrels!!

You guys are gonna be so insanely depressed/furious if this just turns out to be one of the most heartless and over-extended April Fools jokes ever.  I mean, seriously:  The degree to which Tarn's dev blog updates follow right behind people's numerous wishful requests is getting kinda creepy.

Toady wouldn't do this. Especially when he lives on donations by players.

And april fools is just one day, and his devlogs started minecart madness before April.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 07:49:57 am by Naryar »

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: April 13, 2012, 07:48:10 am »

What does a dwarf need to hitch a ride on a cart?  One grasp?  Two?  Legs?

Ooh, what a fascinating thought.

Following up on this question, will paraplegic dwarves who cannot walk use minecarts to get around? Do you think this might lead into the future-planned mechanical augmentations?

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #1429 on: April 13, 2012, 08:19:50 am »

I foresee Crossbow-equipped dwarves launched to air, hailing down bolts and then descending back underound or behind walls.

nocker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: April 13, 2012, 08:34:06 am »

Quote from: Toady
I set a hauler to ride a minecart to its next stop. That happened to take the dwarf down eight ramps and then up a launch ramp into an open cavern. High up in the cavern there was a wide ledge and on the ledge there was a goblin, chilling out right where I had created it. I activated the dwarf's squad, and he had just enough hang-time at the top of the flight arc to get a punch in. The goblin struck back but the dwarf jumped on to the ledge, where they continued to fight as the cart fell down into the darkness.
Damn, Toady, I just arrived at my company and read this. Now how can I work for the rest of the day with all this jizz in my pants?

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
« Reply #1431 on: April 13, 2012, 09:03:20 am »

Quote from: Toady
I set a hauler to ride a minecart to its next stop. That happened to take the dwarf down eight ramps and then up a launch ramp into an open cavern. High up in the cavern there was a wide ledge and on the ledge there was a goblin, chilling out right where I had created it. I activated the dwarf's squad, and he had just enough hang-time at the top of the flight arc to get a punch in. The goblin struck back but the dwarf jumped on to the ledge, where they continued to fight as the cart fell down into the darkness.
Damn, Toady, I just arrived at my company and read this. Now how can I work for the rest of the day with all this jizz in my pants?

It's okay, keeping a spare pair of pants at work is part of the learning cliff.
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: April 13, 2012, 09:08:08 am »

I would like to know if we will be able to fill a minecart with items, launch it down a ramp, and then throw it at goblins and expect the items in the minecart to spread, hit and possibly damage creatures, like the item was thrown ?

By items i obviously mean throwing *large serrated iron discs*, -goblin bone bolts- x25 or some other ridiculously overblown option like !!giant desert scorpion venom barrels!!
I bet this question can be answer with a simple in game experiment. If you drop objects on creatures now, does it hurt them?

It seems like Minecarts physics, it's projectile arcs, and it's ability to hurt things via collision is mostly self contained within minecarts.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: April 13, 2012, 09:35:56 am »

I somehow find myself envisioning Rollercoaster Tycoon: Dwarf Edition
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: April 13, 2012, 10:03:59 am »

Clearly, we need to give goblins and elves the ability to ride minecarts, then, and we can then make the entrance minecart for free, but have it crash into a plaza where the medical center's band-aids, the concession stand's drinks, snacks, and all the rides are $50 apiece, and there is no way to path back out.

That's how I made MY money, anyway...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: April 13, 2012, 11:47:59 am »

Clearly, we need to give goblins and elves the ability to ride minecarts, then, and we can then make the entrance minecart for free, but have it crash into a plaza where the medical center's band-aids, the concession stand's drinks, snacks, and all the rides are $50 apiece, and there is no way to path back out.

That's how I made MY money, anyway...

Now I want Minecarts to get an update when Toady does Fort Mode taverns/inns.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: April 13, 2012, 01:27:39 pm »

What does a dwarf need to hitch a ride on a cart?  One grasp?  Two?  Legs?

Ooh, what a fascinating thought.

Following up on this question, will paraplegic dwarves who cannot walk use minecarts to get around? Do you think this might lead into the future-planned mechanical augmentations?
I'm pretty sure that the answer to this will be that there's no specific plans there, and that the systems involved in minecarts are not related to body structures and thus unsuitable for prosthetics.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: April 13, 2012, 01:40:21 pm »

Did Toady ever say if this was when he was going to make it possible to actually ride mounts?

If not, is this the time you're going to make it possible to actually ride mounts? For the AI to do so?  It seems to me like it'd be the same code for minecarts and mounts both.

This isn't a suggestion (we know it's an "eventually" thing), and it isn't a "when" (we almost never get actual timelines that get followed), it's just a "is it now? because it looks like it might be now but I'm not sure..." question.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: April 13, 2012, 01:49:42 pm »

Generally any "when" question receives a "no timeline" answer. Since Toady hasn't mentioned it, it's probably not something he wants to do imminently.

Regarding paid minecart rides as tourism, that sounds like a reasonable thing, and it would be cool if it had a value at least partially dependant on the archtecture and artifacts you see on the ride. Something like that would be a great addition, as would museums and other tourism stuff. I don't know how period-appropriate it is though.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: April 13, 2012, 01:55:05 pm »

Did Toady ever say if this was when he was going to make it possible to actually ride mounts?

If not, is this the time you're going to make it possible to actually ride mounts? For the AI to do so?  It seems to me like it'd be the same code for minecarts and mounts both.
Generally any "when" question receives a "no timeline" answer. Since Toady hasn't mentioned it, it's probably not something he wants to do imminently.

Also, as touched on earlier in the thread, it's a Release 7 thing.  Even though it's related, I doubt he'll go on that big a tangent right now.
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 748