Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3813599 times)

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #120 on: February 18, 2012, 04:52:03 pm »

Right now it seems no one is able to generate even a medium-sized world with a history longer than ~400 years or so.  The memory usage tops out and the game freezes or crashes.  Do you think that this is an issue that requires better optimization of code, or do you think it can be dealt with by changing the way save files work?  Is it something you can or want to address directly, or do you need development in other areas to progress before you can tackle this?

if you have the RAM for it look up DFLAA it allows dwarf fortress to use more RAM. does not help fps much but prevents crashes.
You don't actually need more RAM to benefit from DFLAA. It will work and prevent 2Gb limit crashes on all systems. If DF uses more memory than you physically have, then it will run slow, however.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 18, 2012, 05:57:45 pm »

It's also possible that he'll just get a basic easily expandable framework in place, and then add things like temple worship to that framework when he adds temples, for example.

We already have temples.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 18, 2012, 06:43:39 pm »

so why is everyone complaining about realistic bar requirements?

personally, it sets off every part of the realism obbsesed sections of my mind when i see that breastplates and mail shirts are one bar.

(also have fun with clogging halls with serrated discs‼)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 18, 2012, 06:57:14 pm »

personally, it sets off every part of the realism obbsesed sections of my mind when i see that breastplates and mail shirts are one bar.

Oh please!
1 piece of stone is used for a trinket like a mug, but is also enough to carve a mansized statue from or build say a metre section of wall. Reality in quantity is not really an issue in materials yet, even if material qualities are very much detailed.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 18, 2012, 07:34:43 pm »

It's also possible that he'll just get a basic easily expandable framework in place, and then add things like temple worship to that framework when he adds temples, for example.

We already have temples.
Yeah, but only as physical locations. I guess making people go hang out there for a while wouldn't be too hard, but then it would lead to more religion development and add up with other things and before you know it the release is taking a year again.

O11O1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 18, 2012, 08:13:31 pm »

Oh please!
1 piece of stone is used for a trinket like a mug, but is also enough to carve a mansized statue from or build say a metre section of wall. Reality in quantity is not really an issue in materials yet, even if material qualities are very much detailed.

Quiet, or else toady will make our masons use more stone!

Wait, we got too much of that stone stuff anyway.
A slight smell of ions.....

... "My student guidance counselor said my personality test results came back, and my ideal career is as a brigand because I love hurting people and stealing stuff, with a Life Goal of killing 3 or 4 adventurers" ...

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 18, 2012, 09:04:50 pm »

Oh please!

Quiet, or else toady will make our masons use more stone!

Wait, we got too much of that stone stuff anyway.

thats actually a good point.

although walls/floors should only take 1 stone anyway. fuck realism there, takes too long to build walls as is  :)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 18, 2012, 10:02:40 pm »

I think I've gotten a potential source for the worldgen crashes. Whilst genning a Large world with maxed out everything, I was getting a year progression of around 1 year per second or two. The worldgen was set to run for 200 years. It kept on advancing at that rate until year 174, when DF crashed because of some leaks in some NSCFArray, NSCFNumber, NSCFDictionary, and SDLQuartzWindow and a bus error.

I tried worldgen again with a different random seed and fewer caves, and the progression was a little slower. It also crashed after reaching around 120 years or so with a similar error. So far I've only run three worldgens in DF2012. The first was successful, but in 0.34.01 and the worldgen only ran up to 100 years.

Running worldgen a third time was successful. It achieved a similar progression rate through years, but only went up to 100 years.

I've run four worldgens in DF2012, with the first one in 0.34.01 successful. It seems like any worldgen beyond 100 years is likely to result in crashes from these leaks. The other three were in 0.34.02, as documented.

For the 0.34.02 worldgens, minor personal mods were used.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 10:06:03 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 19, 2012, 05:49:07 am »

While I love the fact that families are coming to my fort do you think you will reduce the amount of children that come every wave?

My first spring wave I got 38 children.

I now have 50 children out of 90 dwarfs.
May the mass times acceleration be with you

runiq

• Bay Watcher
  • Jabber: runiq at draugr dot de
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art account.
« Reply #129 on: February 19, 2012, 06:09:09 am »

While I love the fact that families are coming to my fort do you think you will reduce the amount of children that come every wave?

You can do that yourself. See <df_folder>/init/d_init.txt.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 19, 2012, 06:44:54 am »

I think the baby/child cap is for pregnancies not migration, so that won't work.
Personally I really like the new migrants, the only issue I see with them is that everyone has low skills. I think this is mainly because people die a lot in world gen... and the economy seems to fail too, so your dwarves aren't too skilled.
Once that's sorted out it'll be nice to see the higher skilled dwarves arriving later on.
I can imagine the fort going through realistic waves; the first 7, skilled enough to do what needs to be done and determined to survive, then the rush of low-skilled migrants and poor families looking for a new life, then once your fort becomes more and more famous and prosperous, more and more important and highly skilled people arrive. :)
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

mctribble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 19, 2012, 10:03:00 am »

Does vampire feeding pose any actual threat to the victim in adventure mode?  I tried to feed on an unconscious bandit as a combat technique, but after five or six times decided it didn't seem to be doing anything.

edit: and since you're probably reading this anyway, this is a great place to point out that DF is quite possibly the best game ever made, despite its status as being buggy and incomplete.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 10:32:02 am by mctribble »

O11O1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 19, 2012, 10:46:30 am »

What I have noticed about the new migration waves is that while people may have low economic skills, there are a lot more people rolling around with 'Competent' and 'Adequate' in the military skills, armor user and speardwarf and such. I kinda like having the slight kick start to my military.

Which reminds me, is the phenominon of miners and woodcutters dropping their weapon once drafted at all intended behavior? It seems to me that if I need a soldier -right now-, or if I'm still really new to the game, that I would select the semi-combat folks to my military (miner, woodcutter, hunters) and expect them to already have their weapons.

Just as a related suggestion, when I draft dwarves with marksmen skills, it'd be nice if it auto-added crossbow to their equipment list upon assignment, though still let you drop that after drafting. Or perhaps via an init option.
A slight smell of ions.....

... "My student guidance counselor said my personality test results came back, and my ideal career is as a brigand because I love hurting people and stealing stuff, with a Life Goal of killing 3 or 4 adventurers" ...

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 19, 2012, 11:02:42 am »

Which reminds me, is the phenominon of miners and woodcutters dropping their weapon once drafted at all intended behavior? It seems to me that if I need a soldier -right now-, or if I'm still really new to the game, that I would select the semi-combat folks to my military (miner, woodcutter, hunters) and expect them to already have their weapons.

Just as a related suggestion, when I draft dwarves with marksmen skills, it'd be nice if it auto-added crossbow to their equipment list upon assignment, though still let you drop that after drafting. Or perhaps via an init option.

Here's the report for that bug.

MagmaSolutionsInc

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes elves for their screaming, bubbling noises.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 19, 2012, 11:13:10 am »

I guess it was because of people who named their chars Rape Raperape The Rape of Rape.

That doesn't really give a good image of the game for random bystanders  :P

Ok, I'm sorry about that. but it was funny at the time!
stopped zombie cats from adopting dwarves

... with magma.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 748