Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3813605 times)

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #105 on: February 18, 2012, 07:52:10 am »

What does "Villager/farmer schedules/activities" entail in the next release? Simple daily activities such as meals and work only? Or do you plan to have things such as attending religious ceremonies at specific locations of worship at specific times? Will farmers make trips to towns to sell food after harvest? Would they halt their activities for a short while to exchange a few pleasantries between friends?

How rigid would the schedules be? Would a farmer postpone the aforementioned town trip if it was raining or would he wait for better weather?

I assume all or at least most of this could be observed in adventure mode, otherwise it would be rather pointless.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 18, 2012, 08:18:46 am »

Wouldn't be more appropriate the personality rewrite before the villager schedules?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 18, 2012, 09:34:56 am »

On the note of memory hacking to fix bugs, if toady was an AAA game developer he would flip the fuck out and try to sue the ever living shit out of them for helping them, hell im sure a number of indie developers might as well.

that is the wonderful factor that seperated toady from the rest. he is not making a product to sell, he is fulfilling his strange mood at the coder's workshop he claimed in 2002 and is creating an artifact program that will put planepacked to shame.
He did flip out a bit the first time people started hacking DF's memory. Of course, he found out about that together with Khazad which was a whole 'nother shitstorm so it's understandable. At this point DFhack has existed for a long time and never* been used for anything that wasn't innocuous, so it's not too surprising that Toady's chill about it.

*Unless there's some small isolated instance of which I'm unaware.

Some quibbles on that description of events -- dfhack wasn't the first time people hacked DF's memory.  Memory hacking utilities like reveal.exe have been in use since... 2007?  Khazad launched as an ordinary visualizer ~2009, along with a slew of other visualizers.  During this period, Toady just expressed some trepidation at memory hacking's potential to create custom UIs.  It wasn't until 2010 that Khazad's developer began a public DF ripoff using reverse-engineered code, which was the shitstorm you mentioned.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 18, 2012, 12:18:04 pm »

Right now it seems no one is able to generate even a medium-sized world with a history longer than ~400 years or so.  The memory usage tops out and the game freezes or crashes.  Do you think that this is an issue that requires better optimization of code, or do you think it can be dealt with by changing the way save files work?  Is it something you can or want to address directly, or do you need development in other areas to progress before you can tackle this?

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 18, 2012, 12:27:25 pm »

Right now it seems no one is able to generate even a medium-sized world with a history longer than ~400 years or so.  The memory usage tops out and the game freezes or crashes.  Do you think that this is an issue that requires better optimization of code, or do you think it can be dealt with by changing the way save files work?  Is it something you can or want to address directly, or do you need development in other areas to progress before you can tackle this?

if you have the RAM for it look up DFLAA it allows dwarf fortress to use more RAM. does not help fps much but prevents crashes.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 18, 2012, 12:29:47 pm »

Yeesh thanks for the trip down memory lane, Footkerchief. I had almost forgotten about all that drama, and who likes to forget drama?!?

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 18, 2012, 12:47:41 pm »

Yeesh thanks for the trip down memory lane, Footkerchief. I had almost forgotten about all that drama, and who likes to forget drama?!?

not enough people at my school...

anyways, i like the current level of children.

consider this, ever done a no migrant fort? (cept first 2 waves o course.)
but now its feasable as dwarfs arrive with more children and seem to have more children.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 18, 2012, 01:03:44 pm »

Thanks for bugfixes! </post to watch>
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 18, 2012, 01:24:20 pm »

Although this occurred in the 34.01 version, I noticed that monster rampages seem to take up a tremendous amount of the Legends mode.  I noticed that, in a world with around 1,000,000 events, 10,000 of those events were monster rampages on a single town... in a 350 year history, so that averages out to that town being rampaged upon 30 times a year. 

This increases dramatically as time goes on - werewolves and the like spreading their curse.  Nothing bad happened in that town for the first 30 years, but in the last year alone, over 120 beast rampages took place.

I realize things are not exactly settled regarding worldgen, but I guess my question would be related to whether this is a bug or an intended feature...

What is the "appropriate" number of monster rampages a year for a city in your mind, once you have things where you want them?  Is it the goal behavior for an ever-escalating set of altered creatures to populate the world, or are the humanoid adventurers supposed to be killing all these guys off, and are just bad at their jobs right now? 

What would be a "target population" of vampires and werecreatures and other afflicted people that get added in later, compared to the population at large? Or is there one?

EDIT:
In another thread, we've been talking about it, and it turns out werecritters are a major cause of bloat in worldgen.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=100732.msg3013512#msg3013512
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=100732.msg3014064#msg3014064
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 10:56:14 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 18, 2012, 02:13:09 pm »

30 Rampages per year per were-creature sounds suspicious. If we go with lunar cycles it should hover around 12.3 its quit different for vampries thought. You could go to 30 if the full moon is around 3 days.

I am wondering, since vamps and weres can spread the curse, if it would be possible to create a disease from a curse, something like the pest :P

[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 18, 2012, 02:24:22 pm »

30 Rampages per year per were-creature sounds suspicious. If we go with lunar cycles it should hover around 12.3 its quit different for vampries thought. You could go to 30 if the full moon is around 3 days.

I am wondering, since vamps and weres can spread the curse, if it would be possible to create a disease from a curse, something like the pest :P

It's not per were creature, it's total on the town.  The town was constructed in the year 29, got to the year 43 before a single were creature struck town, but by the year 340 of worldgen, was getting over 100 rampages a year.

The town had a population of 5000 humans left and 500 dwarves, and a casualty list of only 2500, so most of these rampages didn't even result in much but a devoured chicken.

If you look at it, legends mode is glutted with thousands of lines of "werewolf attacks citizen in the 84th rampage of Longname McWerewolf" followed by "in spite of losing, citizen managed to escape unharmed from werewolf in the 84th rampage of Longname McWerewolf".

I have to wonder if this is a major contributor to the worldgen lag problems the new versions have...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 18, 2012, 02:46:58 pm »

Hmm it would have a impact on the ram-usage that for sure  :-\ and shoving many small bits of data around takes some time indeed which makes me wonder how the part of worldgen works that deals with these and other events. I dont think that it is bad that WG takes some time but it shouldnt "crash" in longer worldgens.

edit: its nice to see you again
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 18, 2012, 03:05:35 pm »

In 0.34.01, I had some traders show up in a migration wave. They are considered "friendly" but not otherwise part of the fortress and they just sit around on the edge of the map. Has anyone got this in 0.34.02 yet?

Are the 0.34.01 saves the only ones incompatible with 0.34.02, or are all the DF2010 saves also incompatible?

Edit: Oh God Metal Bar requirements. Wonder if there's going to be a "patch" to reintroduce that bug anytime soon.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 18, 2012, 03:10:51 pm »

In 0.34.01, I had some traders show up in a migration wave. They are considered "friendly" but not otherwise part of the fortress and they just sit around on the edge of the map. Has anyone got this in 0.34.02 yet?

It's almost certainly still present in 0.34.02.  Here's the ongoing bug report.

Are the 0.34.01 saves the only ones incompatible with 0.34.02, or are all the DF2010 saves also incompatible?

Saves from any previous version are not compatible with 0.34.02.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 18, 2012, 04:30:17 pm »

What does "Villager/farmer schedules/activities" entail in the next release? Simple daily activities such as meals and work only? Or do you plan to have things such as attending religious ceremonies at specific locations of worship at specific times? Will farmers make trips to towns to sell food after harvest? Would they halt their activities for a short while to exchange a few pleasantries between friends?

How rigid would the schedules be? Would a farmer postpone the aforementioned town trip if it was raining or would he wait for better weather?

I assume all or at least most of this could be observed in adventure mode, otherwise it would be rather pointless.
I would guess this stuff is mostly dependent on whether it ends up being a two month release or a ten month release. Since we just had a long one it's probable that Toady is going to try to keep the next few releases fairly quick, and will try hard enough to more or less succeed. It's also possible that he'll just get a basic easily expandable framework in place, and then add things like temple worship to that framework when he adds temples, for example.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 748