Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 665 666 [667] 668 669 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3805958 times)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #9990 on: April 03, 2014, 04:27:10 pm »

Most excellent! Gore for all! 0:)

Are plants able to be harvested at different stages in their growth cycle? Can a plant have multiple products produced from gathering them this way?

The raws posted for the artichoke suggest that this will probably be the case - the HEART growth has [GROWTH_TIMING:0:59999], and the FLOWERS growth has [GROWTH_TIMING:60000:119999], which would simulate the edible heart turning into an edible flower (which is what actually happens).

I never got why they consider mushrooms trees.
A lack of molecular biologists, perhaps?
Could be. Elves don't seem to be all that bright in general.

Case in point:
Wood > furnace > coal > smelter > smelt iron > repeat > forge > forge iron bars > pickaxe > mine rock
"We love rocks! We know for certain you didn't harm any trees to obtain it. Give us all your mugs!"
Everyone knows that pickaxes and anvils grow on underground tree mushrooms. Dwarves are saying that, and dwarves never lie, right?
As far as the Elves are concerned, you powered your furnaces with either coke or magma, and they're perfectly fine with that (even in the old 2D versions, Elves were explicitly offended by charcoal and didn't care about coke smelted from bituminous coal, even though you used charcoal at some point to start the production line).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #9991 on: April 03, 2014, 04:31:55 pm »

Damnit and quietust takes the 10K! *sighs* Congratuluations man!  ;D

I guess every crop/gardenplant is still single tile?

Personly i would like to see some real vines for wine beans and stuff.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #9992 on: April 03, 2014, 07:59:59 pm »

Ah, but only I will have reply number 10002!

To answer your question, Toady has said nothing about multi-tile plants (only trees) so it would be a safe bet. I don't think it's possible to have multi-tile growths on trees either, sadly.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9993 on: April 03, 2014, 11:07:38 pm »

Ah, but only I will have reply number 10002!

To answer your question, Toady has said nothing about multi-tile plants (only trees) so it would be a safe bet. I don't think it's possible to have multi-tile growths on trees either, sadly.
True, but the new tree growth/dimension variables are in the raws. Theoretically you could make a tree with a 1-tile height and canopy spread of 2-3 tiles, mess around with branch density, give it fruit (grapes or somesuch) and call it a bush/vine. Not sure how well it'll work, and it wouldn't be dwarf-plantable, but it's one of the first things I'm planning on trying with the new version.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #9994 on: April 03, 2014, 11:35:26 pm »

You could probably make underbrush and scrub that way. Not every bush has a cultivated version in the real world, after all. In fact, most don't.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9995 on: April 04, 2014, 01:23:36 am »

When submerged to magma, will trees properly catch fire? Right now they just sit there, in magma lake.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9996 on: April 04, 2014, 01:34:30 am »

When submerged to magma, will trees properly catch fire? Right now they just sit there, in magma lake.

They should:
The last thing I updated was the firest -- they affect trees differently now, tile-by-tile. They tend to burn off leaves and smaller branches and keep larger parts intact or dead-but-still-around, depending on the intensity of the overall fire, so all the grass usually goes with some blackened stumps/branches left behind.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9997 on: April 04, 2014, 01:42:14 am »

What about the bug with trees growing while submerged in 7/7 water? This bug specifically: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=457 With multi-tile trees, this bug will become even more annoying.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #9998 on: April 04, 2014, 01:49:53 am »

Ah, but only I will have reply number 10002 and 10008!

True, but the new tree growth/dimension variables are in the raws. Theoretically you could make a tree with a 1-tile height and canopy spread of 2-3 tiles, mess around with branch density, give it fruit (grapes or somesuch) and call it a bush/vine. Not sure how well it'll work, and it wouldn't be dwarf-plantable, but it's one of the first things I'm planning on trying with the new version.
You could probably make underbrush and scrub that way. Not every bush has a cultivated version in the real world, after all. In fact, most don't.

That's a fantastic idea! Bracken, anyone? Giant blackberry bushes?

They'll probably make everything "heavily forested" though, which might be annoying. I do want to see saguaro ribs in the new version - them cacti gonna be so cool.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9999 on: April 04, 2014, 02:33:38 am »

That's the plan! The trick, I think, will be balancing underbrush-types vs top-story types so you don't end up with 'forests' that are more scrub than trees. Although even that would be accurate for certain biomes...
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10000 on: April 04, 2014, 02:43:55 am »

The possibilities are insane stark raving mad!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #10001 on: April 04, 2014, 04:06:22 am »

How will trees hold up against magma? Will they burn away completely, or will there be some charred remains?

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10002 on: April 04, 2014, 04:58:03 am »

How will trees hold up against magma? Will they burn away completely, or will there be some charred remains?

From up page:

They should:
The last thing I updated was the firest -- they affect trees differently now, tile-by-tile. They tend to burn off leaves and smaller branches and keep larger parts intact or dead-but-still-around, depending on the intensity of the overall fire, so all the grass usually goes with some blackened stumps/branches left behind.

Now my own question:

You mention vampire guards in the April report.  How are they different from the vampire cultists in the current version?  Do they likewise go on killing sprees when their master is unmasked?  Do the killing sprees on master unmasking still happen, or do the cultists only become hostile to the player at that point?
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #10003 on: April 04, 2014, 05:37:09 am »

Oh. Derp. I did actually read that, but apparently my memory is awful.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10004 on: April 04, 2014, 10:53:08 am »

Question about enemy sieges, i thought i remembered reading that the enemy will finally be able to actually challenge your fortress instead of sitting outside until everyone gets bored unless you open willingfully a path to your fort.

But looking into the development list
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html

I noticed that the whole Siege improvement subsection
Improved sieges

Eliminate remaining edge-of-map exploits
    More highly trained attacking soldiers when approprate
    Many trap exploits are handled above by requiring more to produce a trap, things like cage traps should make more sense vs. large creatures etc. (respect strength/ability vs. material, large cages might be separate object)
    Coming up with a plan to overcome pathing obstacles to reach fortress innards
        Ability to dig (optionally, default on)
        Ability to build bridges/ramps
        Ability to use grappling hooks/ladders/climb
    Learning from mistakes if first attempted assault plan fails badly
        For instance, if many siegers are killed, caged, etc. in a given hallway, they shouldn't generally go that way again, even if that means building/climbing/digging
    Siege engine improvements depend on state of boats, lifts/moving fortress sections, since these should all use the same framework

Wasn't actually in blue ( the color for " Done, Next Release " )
Does that mean that the development list is not up to date or that the siege improvements are in development but will not be in the next release ?
Pages: 1 ... 665 666 [667] 668 669 ... 748