Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 662 663 [664] 665 666 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3805810 times)

Xazo-Tak

• Bay Watcher
  • *Camping forever*
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #9945 on: April 02, 2014, 11:56:53 pm »

I hear that the cave-in system will undergo large improvements.
Does this mean that creatures will be able to "attack" the ground? Perhaps a change encompassing mining?

I haven't heard anything about changes to the cave-in system in the next version.
Not the next version, but the current cave-in system is supposedly a placeholder.
How to have recursive Fun:
Have Fun
Reclaim fort
Destroy your main graveyard with a cave-in

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9946 on: April 03, 2014, 12:07:39 am »

I hear that the cave-in system will undergo large improvements.
Does this mean that creatures will be able to "attack" the ground? Perhaps a change encompassing mining?

Cave-in improvements, as Toady has discussed them, have concerned what happens after a tile is removed, not the process of the tile's removal.  However, it's fair game for creatures to damage structural tiles through whatever means -- the dev page has "ability to dig" for siegers, which could end up including digging techniques other than traditional mining.

Does this mean we can smell which dwarves have not taken a bath recently?
And on that note, would a discerning nose be able to pick up the scent of blood? [...] like from an injured creature or whatever.

ODOR_LEVEL is intended as a simplistic system.  It's not going to incorporate any complex modifiers yet.

Would Chia seeds be included in garden plants?

Toady posted a list of garden plants, and chia seeds don't seem to be in it.

Is it possible to give plants attack flags?

Nope.

With the addition of many real-world plants, and plant products, will there be any way to hang a revamped cooking industry on the improved culinary palette? For instance, I noticed that you included chickpeas; many regional dishes are made with chickpea, such as humus. There's also oats, and fruits, so breakfast muesli is also a possible product. Are there any plans to revamp the food preparation reaction to include a wider variety of possible food products, based on the source ingredients?

Recipes are on the dev page, but they won't be in the upcoming release:
Adventurer Role: Thief
    [...]
    Inns, taverns and dens
        Taverns/inns
            [...]
            Recipes/drink quality

...hmm. None of these have GROWDUR tokens. And every single one has [SPRING][SUMMER][AUTUMN][WINTER]. Assuming these are finalized raws, the seasonal crops mod will need some serious updating. Are these finalized raws, or still subject to revision? It's not an important problem by any means; just wondering.

The list of new plants has more or less settled.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9947 on: April 03, 2014, 12:11:07 am »

"More or less" here meaning (I assume) "we're done for now, we're moving on until we get a release out".

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9948 on: April 03, 2014, 12:15:17 am »

Hm.  I read it as there still being some possibility of change before release.  It would be strange for Toady to say that any feature is "more or less settled" for all time.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9949 on: April 03, 2014, 12:26:19 am »

Well, I never said for all time. Heck, the implication was "with a possibility of change in the version immediately after".

catenate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9950 on: April 03, 2014, 01:03:40 am »

Will it (soon or eventually) be possible to give plants or plant products
either a "happy" flag or an "euphoria" flag (beyond the happiness
provided by eating something a particular dwarf likes)?

For example from the THC in hemp+flour biscuits (ie hash brownies),
or the theobromine in cacao-seed products.  I think we can already make
that theobromine harmful to dogs through a syndrome.  On that note:

Would a syndrome be the best way to approach happiness?  Or, would it
be possible to give such foods (as opposed to drinks) the alcohol tag,
so they prevent an unhappy thought in dwarves the way alcohol does?

I'd be happy to have hemp especially provoke whatever strange mood
he codes behind the scenes for "euphoria". ;)

Could we in some kind of way relabel certain combinations of ingredients
with a recipe name?

So, if you do create a "hemp biscuit" with flour you could name it "hash brownies",
and the game would call future prepared meals (with any amount of hemp and flour)
that in the expanded summary screen.

Sorry if parts of this feel close to the edge of a suggestion.  I'm more curious
what tools we'll get with this release to mod in some of these effects.
For example, I think we could obviously mod in quite a variety of recipes,
and make them available for reactions in the kitchen, but I think I like
better the retroactive naming of a list of ingredients.
Couverture: A chocolate-covered mod brings you a dark chocolate figurine of the deity of agriculture looking offended.

aban avuzsazirmafol tunur … kib saziradilîton kezkďg ugoshódkelid shatagistrath … kirondatanavuz ustosteshkad angngotololum―Bomonolthîkut fragments

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9951 on: April 03, 2014, 01:09:33 am »

Okay, seriously? No way there's going to be enough THC in cannabis sativa not specifically designed to have it to get you even a buzz from the brownies. Yeesh.

catenate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9952 on: April 03, 2014, 01:15:42 am »

Okay, seriously? No way there's going to be enough THC in cannabis sativa not specifically designed to have it to get you even a buzz from the brownies. Yeesh.

Yeah, but you know cannabis indica is only a mod away.  At least the "happy" still stands,
if if you're uncomfortable with the idea of stoned dwarves.
Couverture: A chocolate-covered mod brings you a dark chocolate figurine of the deity of agriculture looking offended.

aban avuzsazirmafol tunur … kib saziradilîton kezkďg ugoshódkelid shatagistrath … kirondatanavuz ustosteshkad angngotololum―Bomonolthîkut fragments

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9953 on: April 03, 2014, 01:18:09 am »

They're drunk all the time anyway, so whatever.

TastyMints

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:love of murder]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9954 on: April 03, 2014, 01:36:08 am »

Will it (soon or eventually) be possible to give plants or plant products
either a "happy" flag or an "euphoria" flag (beyond the happiness
provided by eating something a particular dwarf likes)?

For example from the THC in hemp+flour biscuits (ie hash brownies),
or the theobromine in cacao-seed products.

Depends on what part of the plant is used to create the food. Hemp seeds don't have THC in them, or at least not enough for it to matter. The part of the plant that generates the most THC is the flower buds. I happen to recall smokeables being mentioned in the devblog and older FotF posts so in a future update you might very well get what you're referring to or at least the ability to mod it into the game.

Would a syndrome be the best way to approach happiness?  Or, would it
be possible to give such foods (as opposed to drinks) the alcohol tag,
so they prevent an unhappy thought in dwarves the way alcohol does?

I'd be happy to have hemp especially provoke whatever strange mood
he codes behind the scenes for "euphoria". ;)

Hemp generally refers to the fibrous materials extracted from the body and stem of a cannabis plant. In modern times "Hemp" is a generalized term to refer to strains of cannabis that have been bred specifically to generate a lower amount of THC than other varieties. More than 100 years ago and the distinction is pretty much null. Europeans grew cannabis for centuries and very likely smoked it. Up until about a century ago it grew wild almost everywhere on the American continent which is why it garnered the term "Weed."

In reference to your question about syndromes I'm afraid I don't quite know. I am unaware as to whether syndromes can effect the emotion system so I think that's a good question for Toady: Will it be possible for syndromes to cause specific emotions in creatures?

Could we in some kind of way relabel certain combinations of ingredients
with a recipe name?

So, if you do create a "hemp biscuit" with flour you could name it "hash brownies",
and the game would call future prepared meals (with any amount of hemp and flour)
that in the expanded summary screen.

Sorry if parts of this feel close to the edge of a suggestion.  I'm more curious
what tools we'll get with this release to mod in some of these effects.
For example, I think we could obviously mod in quite a variety of recipes,
and make them available for reactions in the kitchen, but I think I like
better the retroactive naming of a list of ingredients.

As far as the production of food in the game goes you can have the kitchen or brewery have a custom reaction that turns specific kinds of items into other items. I'm sure the day the release comes out somebody will make "That Weed Mod." It wouldn't be that hard really, just add a harvestable "bud" much in the same vein as quarry bush leaves and allow it to be cooked into a hash cake or something. You could make the food item cause dizziness and have a high value so it makes dwarves happy when they eat it but dizziness causes them to drop things and cancel jobs due to losing the job item which turns into a real pain. I mean that's if you REALLY want your dwarves stoned. Personally I think being stoned is more of a hobbit activity myself and since dwarves are constantly drunk anyway I doubt they would bother.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 01:49:57 am by TastyMints »

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9955 on: April 03, 2014, 02:22:18 am »

How will the game, whose primary interface comprises of lists, handle the great increase in number of individual entries resulting from so many new plants.  Leather is already unmanageable, what will happen to seeds?
I support this.

ZZmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9956 on: April 03, 2014, 02:52:39 am »

I love the directions this release seems to be going in.

Maybe a way to make a race dependent on something not just alcohol  so caffeine dependent humans. ;D

If the siegers want to break fortifications, maybe they need Sappers.  ;D "WE'VE GOT EXPLOSIVES"

I bow to the toady one who stands on high playing track 3.  :D
DK advisor quote was the message thingy of DF with: "Uric Glodson does a wonderful impression of the baron, he can even do the nose. He has been sentenced to 40 hammerstrikes for his insolence."

catenate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9957 on: April 03, 2014, 03:30:31 am »

Personally I think being stoned is more of a hobbit activity myself

That would explain why they are so mellow and sociable there in the Shire,
daily reprovision their extensive pantries, and don't adventure.

You could make the food item cause dizziness and have a high value so it makes dwarves happy
when they eat it but dizziness causes them to drop things and cancel jobs due to losing the job item
which turns into a real pain.

Or maybe make them party more and work less, if that's possible.  Either way,
I agree it's probably more fun to talk about then deal with as an overseer.

Ast Oner cancels job: too high.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9958 on: April 03, 2014, 05:06:31 am »

Personally I think being stoned is more of a hobbit activity myself

That would explain why they are so mellow and sociable there in the Shire,
daily reprovision their extensive pantries, and don't adventure.

You could make the food item cause dizziness and have a high value so it makes dwarves happy
when they eat it but dizziness causes them to drop things and cancel jobs due to losing the job item
which turns into a real pain.

Or maybe make them party more and work less, if that's possible.  Either way,
I agree it's probably more fun to talk about then deal with as an overseer.

Ast Oner cancels job: too high.

The new hit single from UristMan:

"I was gonna pull the lever to close the bridge, but then I got high.  I was gonna drop them in the spike trap ditch, but then I got high. The goblins got in my for-tress and I know why-y! Because I got high, because I got high, because I got hiiigh!"

I can totally see this being a very good drug awareness message. :D LOL

superbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9959 on: April 03, 2014, 05:51:52 am »

Will watermelons explode on impact?
Pages: 1 ... 662 663 [664] 665 666 ... 748