Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 647 648 [649] 650 651 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3805824 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #9720 on: March 23, 2014, 05:41:41 am »

Anyone got a clue on how smelling will be observed?

Will it be like a message, i.e.

"You smell a rotting corpse!"

or will it be an active thing, like you hit a button to see what you smell, or perhaps there would be a tile tinge based on smells?
I'm pretty certain it'll be text only for now. Once there are scent-based trails, I guess there'll be an option to switch to a scent-based display, similar to the sound display while sneaking. Perhaps there'll be some sort of ! or S tile to notify that you smell something.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9721 on: March 23, 2014, 08:08:58 am »

Anyone got a clue on how smelling will be observed?

Will it be like a message, i.e.

"You smell a rotting corpse!"

or will it be an active thing, like you hit a button to see what you smell, or perhaps there would be a tile tinge based on smells?
The rotting elf corpse wafts the cheesemaker in the face and the severed part sails off in an arc!
Urist McCheesemaker has been struck down.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9722 on: March 23, 2014, 10:29:27 am »

I got the impression that smelled creatures will be seen on the map just like seen creatures, except that they'll appear in the gray part of the map.

The rotting elf corpse wafts the cheesemaker in the face and the severed part sails off in an arc!
Urist McCheesemaker has been struck down.

You'd think being a cheesemaker would make him used to foul smells.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 10:31:08 am by King Mir »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9723 on: March 23, 2014, 12:46:58 pm »

“I have to do a successful depot run first” with regards to the latest devlog, does that mean dwarven traders will now come through caverns or tunnels to our fortresses?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #9724 on: March 23, 2014, 12:50:33 pm »

Also in relation to the tunnels, will there be soldiers stationed along the length, or enemies polluting it (Bandits, goblins, kobolds, etc.). Or will there simply be an uninhabited tunnel?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9725 on: March 23, 2014, 01:01:00 pm »

“I have to do a successful depot run first” with regards to the latest devlog, does that mean dwarven traders will now come through caverns or tunnels to our fortresses?

Don't they already do that sometimes? At least the packanimal part of the caravan, not sure about the wagons.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #9726 on: March 23, 2014, 01:17:38 pm »

Don't they already do that sometimes? At least the packanimal part of the caravan, not sure about the wagons.
Pretty sure that a strong no.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #9727 on: March 23, 2014, 02:02:43 pm »

Leaving, on the other hand.... Either way, the depot run seems to be an adventure mode test given everything Toady said - he was talking about brokers missing from worldgen fortresses, and using a dwarven adventurer to do the depot run. I'm not quite sure what the depot run would be, to be honest, though. Going from fortress depot to fortress depot via deep site depots and making sure each is reachable and ready to trade, I guess?
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9728 on: March 23, 2014, 02:05:05 pm »

I thought they did sometimes. Maybe I'm thinking of the liason? The caravans do leave via the underground if you give them that option.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9729 on: March 23, 2014, 02:34:27 pm »

I thought they did sometimes. Maybe I'm thinking of the liason? The caravans do leave via the underground if you give them that option.
I've never seen anything besides hostile creatures come in from the caverns, ever. You can force caravans through the caverns, though, and it can be an interesting and fun way to get rid of any forgotten beasts you have down there, if you have way for them to get that far... and a method of keeping said forgotten beast occupied until the caravan arrives.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9730 on: March 23, 2014, 02:52:10 pm »

I might have had a liason arrive in the first cavern level once, but I'm not 100% sure on that. They have left via the caverns a number of times though.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9731 on: March 24, 2014, 12:53:14 am »

Long devlog is long.
And it's looking glorious. :D

« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 12:57:56 am by DarkDXZ »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9732 on: March 24, 2014, 01:20:49 am »

Now I'm wondering if the gremlin calling for help was a general feature, or a specific tool gremlins have to lure travelers off the path.

...but I don't actually want Toady to answer that because not knowing is more fun.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9733 on: March 24, 2014, 01:55:23 am »

Re: devlog: really excited to see the beginnings of a richer Adv. Mode experience.

Plancky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9734 on: March 24, 2014, 02:29:09 am »

I have had elven caravans leave through the 1st level of the cavern before.
Pages: 1 ... 647 648 [649] 650 651 ... 748