Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 635 636 [637] 638 639 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807195 times)

Meansdarling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #9540 on: March 09, 2014, 12:29:37 am »

It seems so much better dieing when you know the people watching are talking about it afterward. Sort of an impromptu wake.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9541 on: March 09, 2014, 04:51:41 am »

Do robbers have a single, hard-coded way to surround a player and do things or is there some variation between their tactics (as in, how they arrange themselves, what they talk about, when they start demanding, etc.

Relatedly, do robbers take into account their own numbers when choosing targets and how to approach them? Can a player potentially unnerve them by being a famous monster slayer within the civ?

Can onlookers (I'm thinking mainly of guards and similarly skilled individuals) decide to stop the robbery even if the player yields?

Sorry for the multiple questions.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 03:25:25 pm by Wimopy »
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #9542 on: March 09, 2014, 09:25:44 am »

If you know someone is a bandit, or you just make a guess when someone is acting fishy and you attack them, will outsiders recognize you or them as the "bad guy"? Will you be the one they register as a hostile to the civilization or the bandits?
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9543 on: March 09, 2014, 10:27:09 am »

The bandits are going to harass the npcs too?

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9544 on: March 09, 2014, 01:51:38 pm »

Do robbers have a single, hard-coded way to surround a player and do things or is there some variation between their tactics?
Given how Toady said "If you start to comply, it continues on with the steps of the robbery", I'm almost positive that there's a single, hard-coded way to rob a player. My reasoning behind this is that Toady tends to mention when he integrates random courses of events - it's just the way he does things. More importantly, robberies only have one way they could happen:

1. Apprehend player
2. Get player to yield
3. Get player to hand over items
4. Rob player
5. Finish

Of course, they would deviate from this "standard robbery" if the player didn't cooperate, and one of your steps could easily become
3. Murderize the heck out of player
- which, as you noticed, became Toady's #5 in his devlog.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 01:53:16 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9545 on: March 09, 2014, 01:57:38 pm »

I think Wimopy may have been talking primarily about how they approach the player (spatial positioning, small talk, etc).  That's where variation would be the most interesting, since it's the player's chance to recognize and avoid the situation.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #9546 on: March 09, 2014, 02:18:49 pm »

Their leader made small talk as two others surrounded me.

Do all people have the potential to do smalltalk when they meet you or is this something reserved for important people or bandits?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9547 on: March 09, 2014, 02:38:48 pm »

Thanks for answering my questions from before! But, of course, I now have even more...

How widespread will insurrections be? Will they be localized within a settlement, or throughout a civilization?

If a settlement frees itself from it's oppressors, does it become a new civilization?

I think this would be a great thing to see in Legends mode.

In 193, in the Conflict of Beers at Urgentweeping, The Questing of Handkerchiefs broke away from Restingspikes to become a new civilization.

If anyone can make a Whiskey Rebellion actually succeed, it would be Dwarves.  Which leads me to a question for Toady:

Will a fortress be able to secede from its parent civilization?  Would this be under player control, or need to result from a factional conflict?

This should lead to a near-instant siege from the parent civ when and if it does happen.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9548 on: March 09, 2014, 03:19:35 pm »

I think Wimopy may have been talking primarily about how they approach the player (spatial positioning, small talk, etc).  That's where variation would be the most interesting, since it's the player's chance to recognize and avoid the situation.

Just as a confirmation, this was what I was talking about. I'll edit the question to clarify that.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9549 on: March 09, 2014, 03:48:44 pm »

How widespread will insurrections be? Will they be localized within a settlement, or throughout a civilization?

Occupations happen on a settlement-by-settlement basis, so insurrections also have that constrant.

If a settlement frees itself from it's oppressors, does it become a new civilization?

If your adventurer conquers the keep or mead hall, your adventurer's entity takes over the site.  If you drive out the occupiers without taking the power location, I think it reverts to the pre-occupation government.

WarRoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9550 on: March 09, 2014, 04:11:15 pm »

Am I the only one who got confused by the opening of the two latest dev logs? (Thought the rodent one was going to be about DF and the robbed one to be RL)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9551 on: March 09, 2014, 04:28:31 pm »

Am I the only one who got confused by the opening of the two latest dev logs? (Thought the rodent one was going to be about DF and the robbed one to be RL)
For the first couple sentences, yeah. lol
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #9552 on: March 09, 2014, 04:46:21 pm »

Guilty as charged.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9553 on: March 09, 2014, 07:26:56 pm »

No, I thought that too.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9554 on: March 10, 2014, 10:00:26 am »

No, I thought that too.

I didn't really think that for the rodent one but had to do a double take while reading the robbery one because I thought for a sec he meant real life, though the wording was wierd.
Pages: 1 ... 635 636 [637] 638 639 ... 748