Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 582 583 [584] 585 586 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807296 times)

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8745 on: January 14, 2014, 06:15:06 pm »

Hmm... How are markets built anyways? If it's something akin to workshop creation, then I'd predict that we won't see new markets until workshops are able to generate within sites.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8746 on: January 14, 2014, 06:38:46 pm »

Wait, I have a community question.
Isn't this release the one in which we're able to barter stuff with random people, not just merchants? Or am I just thinking in a planned-but-no-timeline feature?

If my assumptions are true, then there's not too much need for markets right now, at least if we're venturing through the unexplored frontier.
And now that I think of it...

Toady, how do civilizations stablish their priorities for post worldgen town founding? Does it work the same as the worldgen process (like, looking for the right ecosystem/elevation/savagery/alignment)? If, for example, you somehow hunt down and scour wildlife at an untamed wilds area that is otherwise right for human thriving, does this turn the place into fair game for settlers to come in?
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8747 on: January 14, 2014, 06:59:14 pm »

I often see "Blabla was a market created in Kobold Cave" and such when looking through legends. Will the game generate actual kobold markets now, or will it prevent kobolds from making their non-existent markets?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8748 on: January 14, 2014, 07:02:36 pm »

Hmm... How are markets built anyways? If it's something akin to workshop creation, then I'd predict that we won't see new markets until workshops are able to generate within sites.

Can you clarify the question?  The only markets are the ones placed in towns during world gen.  They have hardcoded types of stalls, which are placed by a procedural generation algorithm.  Are you asking if the code uses the same data structure for market stalls and workshops?

I often see "Blabla was a market created in Kobold Cave" and such when looking through legends. Will the game generate actual kobold markets now, or will it prevent kobolds from making their non-existent markets?

This seems like a bug.  Are you using mods?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 07:04:41 pm by Footkerchief »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8749 on: January 14, 2014, 07:16:27 pm »

Are we going to see roads expanded during gameplay (not worldgen) for this coming release or is that just going to be left out for now?

I'd really like to see roads get built during gameplay as of the coming release. In 23a, it used to be that when you built a road to the map edge, your fort would get connected up. Unfortunately that has gone out now.

If a dwarven civilization loses a site, can a different dwarven civilization reclaim that site?

Will migrants still stop when the unit list reaches 3000, regardless of the population cap and number of dwarves, or has that changed now?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 07:25:43 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #8750 on: January 14, 2014, 07:43:35 pm »

Are we going to see roads expanded during gameplay (not worldgen) for this coming release or is that just going to be left out for now?
In the last dev log, it says they dont expand roads during game play.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8751 on: January 14, 2014, 07:54:23 pm »

Can you clarify the question?  The only markets are the ones placed in towns during world gen.  They have hardcoded types of stalls, which are placed by a procedural generation algorithm.  Are you asking if the code uses the same data structure for market stalls and workshops?

Yeah, pretty much this - Does markets use something like a workshop data structure, or something more towards a farm plot structure, or is it something of its own system?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8752 on: January 14, 2014, 08:18:03 pm »

They're just barrels as of now, by the looks of it, so neither.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8753 on: January 14, 2014, 08:20:26 pm »

If a dwarven civilization loses a site, can a different dwarven civilization reclaim that site?

I understand that, as goblins and other creatures (at least in worldgen) can occupy a dwarven site, then there shouldn't be a restriction for another civilization to do it. Also, if a civilization physically crumbles and all it's members die, then their sites should be up for someone else to call dibs on them.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.

Mopsy

• Bay Watcher
  • loveless power is abusive powerless love is anemic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8754 on: January 14, 2014, 08:35:49 pm »

Wait, I have a community question.
Isn't this release the one in which we're able to barter stuff with random people, not just merchants? Or am I just thinking in a planned-but-no-timeline feature?

This is the one, unless Toady took it out again.

Quote from: Toady
12/04/2013: You can trade objects with pretty much anybody friendly now, without the requirement that you be in a store, and as long as they'll make out alright, they'll go for it. You can also give anybody anything. It should probably be restricted a bit, since people are more than happy to tear off their shoes for an equal value of food or whatever while they are standing in the mud, and so on, but it does let you give whatever to whomever, which'll help some of the dire equipment problems companions have until we have more time to do something better.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8755 on: January 14, 2014, 09:14:51 pm »

In the last dev log, it says they dont expand roads during game play.

OK let me make that a bit clearer:

In the devlog you said roads are not expanded during gameplay yet. Is this completely put off for another release or do you think you will get around to it for this one?

Regarding the latest devlog:

If we retire a player fort, will dwarves (or invaders) add new buildings to it?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8756 on: January 14, 2014, 09:49:17 pm »

No mods, at least. I got a single kobold market in 125 years of history. Maybe we'll be able to get down there in the next release, just to understand how does a kobold market work. Now, if it is a bug or not, I would rather think it's a feature, as a marketplace for a community of finder-keepers seems like a must.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

*I really don't know if it's advisable to post images on this thread, or to post this image at all, but it might clarify the existence of kobold markets. End of my derail.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8757 on: January 15, 2014, 01:52:48 am »

Will migrants still stop when the dead unit list reaches 3000, regardless of the population cap and number of dwarves, or has that changed now?

Clarified the question as far as the unit list since it's related to the number of dead units. Can't find the relevant bug report, if there is one.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #8758 on: January 15, 2014, 06:26:44 am »

Given that Toady apparently won't get to do kobold sites for this release, no.

I'm pretty sure kobold markets are intentional, given the 06/09/11 devlog:
Found my first tower-cap bed in a human's bedroom. It had an image of the foundation of a dwarven mountain hall in giant toad bone. An iron scourge made by the goblins made it to the back of the warehouse as well -- it commemorated a skinless demon becoming the law-giver of the goblin civilization.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8759 on: January 15, 2014, 10:20:28 am »

I'm pretty sure kobold markets are intentional, given the 06/09/11 devlog:
Found my first tower-cap bed in a human's bedroom. It had an image of the foundation of a dwarven mountain hall in giant toad bone. An iron scourge made by the goblins made it to the back of the warehouse as well -- it commemorated a skinless demon becoming the law-giver of the goblin civilization.

I think you may not have quoted the relevant part:
I also put in some extra precautions and tweaks so that dwarves form markets properly and are more survivable in world gen. Kobolds as well.

I figured "Kobolds as well" just meant the survivability part -- kobold survivability was a known bug at the time.  It's hard for me to imagine kobolds putting together anything as organized as a market.
Pages: 1 ... 582 583 [584] 585 586 ... 748