Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 570 571 [572] 573 574 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3806060 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8565 on: January 03, 2014, 07:01:00 pm »

With the new companion mechanics, will we be able to get pets in adventure mode soon?

Mounts are on the dev page.  That's the first implementation of animal ownership we'll see, and the dev page is as close as anything gets to being scheduled:
Adventurer Role: Hero
    Mounts
        Can buy them as with livestock, handled as with livestock
        Combat move/speed split
        Movement speeds, turning and inertia
        Combat effects (velocity addition, body part selection, trampling)

in adventurer mode,will night troll's perhaps do spouse convertion if they kidnap/defeat your adventurer in combat? I imagine non-lethal combat would have something to do with it.

In the upcoming release, night creatures won't kidnap anyone during play.  When that gets added later, your adventurer will be a fair target.
Quote from: thvaz
You mentioned wilderness creatures and bogeymen - and I'm extending the question to other night creatures too - there will be a change in the next release where the villages and town react to them independently of the player involvement? There will be a  chance of the guards catching them or organizing raids to their lairs?

We aren't to that point with the night creatures yet -- they now exist as a critter wandering the map or sitting in their lair depending on the time of day and so on, and are trackable, but they don't perform their world gen activities, like kidnapping people, and the world gen adventurers don't confront creatures...  they just hang out in pseudo-taverns.  The people that work for village leaders can be a bit more enterprising, but they are just interested in village-to-village fighting.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8566 on: January 03, 2014, 09:02:35 pm »

I don't mean mounts, just pets in general. You know, dogs, cats, that sort of thing.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8567 on: January 03, 2014, 09:08:17 pm »

I don't mean mounts, just pets in general. You know, dogs, cats, that sort of thing.

Well, they'll most likely be making it in together though, so the answer is a valid one. Hopefully Toady will finish it up in the next dev-cycle seeing as he's already got the systems needed in place now and had started tinkering with it a bit.

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8568 on: January 04, 2014, 11:06:40 pm »

First FOTF question I've ever asked! WOO! Question is (hope it hasn't been asked before): Could you "un-hardcode" the starting dwarf amount so that players can choose to start with 1-7 dwarves and receive extra embark points for starting with less?

Always dreamed of the Hermit Fortress.. This could potentially be a separate mode where migrants don't ever come, or only one per year shows up.. (Yes, even more difficulty!) I'd rely on the great modding community for this, but those starting dwarves, so hardcoded :P Can Hermit Fortress ever be a reality? :|

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #8569 on: January 04, 2014, 11:35:34 pm »

First FOTF question I've ever asked! WOO! Question is (hope it hasn't been asked before): Could you "un-hardcode" the starting dwarf amount so that players can choose to start with 1-7 dwarves and receive extra embark points for starting with less?

Always dreamed of the Hermit Fortress.. This could potentially be a separate mode where migrants don't ever come, or only one per year shows up.. (Yes, even more difficulty!) I'd rely on the great modding community for this, but those starting dwarves, so hardcoded :P Can Hermit Fortress ever be a reality? :|
I dont think anything been said about moving the number of starting dorfs to the raws just for that

But the number of starting dorfs will change with the addition of Starting Scenarios. And those could totally be moved into the raws. 
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8570 on: January 05, 2014, 01:14:25 am »

and that general pet idea sounds interesting, especially if you could have little creatures such as a bird or lizard to sit on your shoulder. Adventure mode vermin taming would be fun.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8571 on: January 05, 2014, 01:17:52 am »

Speaking of vermin pets, will kobolds ever wield dangerous vermin creatures as weapons like they do in Kobold Quest?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8572 on: January 05, 2014, 01:42:28 am »

Congrats! But this topic isn't about suggestions--that's what the suggestions board is for.

Deinos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8573 on: January 05, 2014, 01:58:17 am »

Hey Toady, first, I want to thank you for everything, and answering my last question.

Do you suppose we will receive any options as far as customizing our adventurer's physical appearance within the next few releases? Such as making him ultra fat (how else do I protect against blunt damage), ultra tall, or whatever?

Also, will it be possible anytime soon to have adventurers gain significant amount of weight? I mean, they already tend to eat a hundred times as much or more as a fortress denizen. It feels weird to have all my dorfs who eat nothing but meat and drink liquid grease wind up as svelte as my elves who eat three strawberries a day.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8574 on: January 05, 2014, 02:15:34 am »

It feels weird to have all my dorfs who eat nothing but meat and drink liquid grease wind up as svelte as my elves who eat three strawberries a day.

Strawberries are pretty freaking small, though. Three of those a day and an adventurer's active lifestyle aren't going to combine to make weight gain a thing at all.

I think this sort of issue is another example of the differences between fortress and adventure mode. Fort mode is much more abstracted and time goes by 72 times more quickly; dwarves wouldn't do any shit at all if their metabolisms worked at the same relative rate in fort mode as they do in adventure more.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8575 on: January 05, 2014, 06:51:41 am »

There are tales of player-controlled superdwarven god-adventurers who destroy whole towns. How will civilisations react to this?
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #8576 on: January 05, 2014, 07:19:49 am »

Hey Toady, first, I want to thank you for everything, and answering my last question.

Do you suppose we will receive any options as far as customizing our adventurer's physical appearance within the next few releases? Such as making him ultra fat (how else do I protect against blunt damage), ultra tall, or whatever?

Threetoe:   Oh yeah, we were also talking about the problem with genetics, too. Yeah, that was the roadblock to ... the roadblock to customizing your adventurer is getting the genes to line up because there's genetics to determine appearance and if you want to bring your person out of ... just give him an arbitrary face, it might not be able to find the genes for it, then that would harm the adventurer reproduction later. Especially now that when your retire your adventurer, they can just go off and get married when you're not looking, so it needs to have their genetic information in place. There's workarounds for it though, but with dwarves I'm more worried about ... not exactly worried about gaming the system, it's a conversation we've had a bunch of different times on a bunch of different subjects whether or not people should be able to fully customize or fully amplify themselves and whether or not that's something that should be customizable or something that should be in a worldgen parameter and whether or not people are overcome by temptation, whether the temptation ruins the game, whether or not I should care about people ruining the game, because they are tempted? All of that kind of thing. We've found solutions to those things in the past without really restricting the options, so I think eventually customizing the dwarves, once you can do it in the adventurer will probably be a test case for it, because it's a little easier there.

Keep in mind, there is never a time frame for any features. Asking whether it'll happen in the next releases is pointless.

Also, will it be possible anytime soon to have adventurers gain significant amount of weight? I mean, they already tend to eat a hundred times as much or more as a fortress denizen. It feels weird to have all my dorfs who eat nothing but meat and drink liquid grease wind up as svelte as my elves who eat three strawberries a day.[/color]
I'm pretty sure that's already possible. You get slower if you gain more muscle mass, and I'm think that you get fatter if you eat too much food. Adventurers just tend to get a lot of exercise.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8577 on: January 05, 2014, 01:03:06 pm »

Apparently their commander hadn't trained with any weapons in world gen, because he was listed as a "recruit". Since he was just the follower of another lord, he didn't have a position of his own with a name (he had a squad membership, which is named, but doesn't override the weapon-based name). The commander didn't develop much skill getting the last blows in on a few unconscious people, so he was still a recruit when he arrived at the central chamber and declared his claim over the site, promptly becoming a purple "lord". I'm sure it'll be an enduring and noble line.

I think that may be related to this bug: 0004828: Goblin general shows up unarmed.  Also, awesome devlog.

Keep in mind, there is never a time frame for any features. Asking whether it'll happen in the next releases is pointless.

That goes double for features that aren't on the dev page.

Speaking of vermin pets, will kobolds ever wield dangerous vermin creatures as weapons like they do in Kobold Quest?

It's planned, yes:
Capntastic:   Throw in some random ancient ruins to explore and all that sort of thing, get some Stargate stuff going on.
Toady:   We're not going full-on treasure-hunter arc yet but there are going to be dwarf fortresses without dwarves in them because it usually ends up that way in world gen, that something has gone wrong, somewhere. A lot of my goblin sites seemed pretty empty and I was wondering where they were and I was, like, 'Oh yeah, I sent them all off to kill people.' There's an awful lot of void and emptiness in the goblin sites, but actual ruins are another critter. Also, once we've got these sites, like all the different ways that the races build things, we'll be able to start thinking about things like 'What does a place look like if it was owned by humans for the first half and then owned by dwarves for the second half?' There could be, like, the old town part and then extended past that it suddenly dips down into the earth and there are all this dwarf mining operation surrounding an old human city. Theoretically we should be able to do all that stuff; it's all pretty modular the way things glue together by necessity because in adventure mode when you're walking around you load sections of the map, right? So everything is subject to these restrictions of having to live in a certain-sized space, but that means that if you want to have the flavor of the map change it's really not so bad. I mean ideally you'd like things to intermesh in a not-square way, but for a starting point we certainly have an easy problem and then it only becomes harder when you try and make it look really organic, but it's good, it's always possible to move forward with this stuff, so we're going to have all kinds of cool things going on. Going down, talking to the kobolds and trying to steal things from them, and getting giant centipedes thrown at you or something.

There are tales of player-controlled superdwarven god-adventurers who destroy whole towns. How will civilisations react to this?

In the upcoming version, nothing will happen if no witnesses escape.  If there are witnesses, you'll become an enemy of the civ and they'll attack you on sight.  Patrols will try to track you down.  Later on, entities will make a stronger effort to hunt you down and punish you.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 01:22:16 pm by Footkerchief »

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8578 on: January 05, 2014, 05:19:14 pm »

I know that Toady is from WA, so I wonder if he's ever been to San Juan island. I hope so, as per today's devlog, he basically simulated the Pig War

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_War

Mopsy

• Bay Watcher
  • loveless power is abusive powerless love is anemic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8579 on: January 05, 2014, 07:08:17 pm »

In the upcoming version human civilizations will apparently consist of clusters of city states in various tributary relationships. The only supreme lords will be the god impersonators and their successors. (Is that actually the case in the current version as well? I thought they had lawgivers as their standard civ rulers.) Considering that, which entities will be responsible for the construction and garrisoning of the fortress sites that usually show up on the frontiers of human civs? Can fortress sites be claimed and fought over just like towns and hamlets? Can the goblins occupy them?
Pages: 1 ... 570 571 [572] 573 574 ... 748