Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 569 570 [571] 572 573 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3805841 times)

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8550 on: January 03, 2014, 09:54:11 am »

Besides trees, is anything else going to make the migration from the code to the raws?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8551 on: January 03, 2014, 10:30:42 am »

Besides trees, is anything else going to make the migration from the code to the raws?

These are all the new raws I could find mention of.  Some of them are just new features, but gaits and attack cooldowns were arguably hardcoded before, I think:

I've gotten through a number of the promises I had written down for stealth over the months, mostly arising from my Future of the Fortress replies: you can set the angles of the full/peripheral vision arcs within the raws, creatures with multiple heads etc. can be set to have the full vision circle as long as their multiple parts have working vision, size and movement impact stealth and attempted sneaking affects maximum speed, and so on.
It looks like the hydra is working correctly. Two heads snatched a lower arm a piece and then shook around and ripped them off at the same time. It's reasonably dangerous. The heads can each choose a different style of attack that have different times to strike and recover, so they get pleasantly out of sync as they roil around. The attacks are marked in the raws as independent so the hydra doesn't suffer a multi-attack penalty (which encourages the AI to go ahead with them as well). I also hacked apart a lot of undead corpses and skins and things to test that out, and it seems to be working fine. Next up'll be some tweaks to non-lethal combat damage and yielding, which'll get us out of combat and back to other things.
In addition to cleaning up random unfunny bugs, I've been entering all of the gait data into the raws now that that part of combat is definitely settled. Creature variations can now take argument strings which replace argument markers in the variation definition (the arguments are different speed numbers in this case). The use of lines of the variation can also be made conditional on these arguments. There isn't enough resolution in the game's time system for speeds to make sense entirely, without letting critters like cheetahs understand moving more than one square per click. Fixing it isn't as easy as making projectiles go more than one tile per click. In any case, critters that should be faster than a dwarf or human at full speed are much faster at their full speed, while one creature's full speed is generally much faster than its walking speed, so it'll be an improvement.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8552 on: January 03, 2014, 10:36:56 am »

Don't know, probably this was already asked (even by me perhaps?), but how long does all the "races" live? I mean, which is the average life span of a regular dwarf, human, goblin, grass smoking tree hugging hippie, and some others like the animal men and such?

I ask because I hardly play adventure and my forts aren't really up to OSHA standards, which translates in people not dying of old age like, never. And I'm a tad interested on the expected length of life and how can be increased in game (besides becoming a vampire or necromancer).
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8553 on: January 03, 2014, 11:16:19 am »

Don't know, probably this was already asked (even by me perhaps?), but how long does all the "races" live? I mean, which is the average life span of a regular dwarf, human, goblin, grass smoking tree hugging hippie, and some others like the animal men and such?

I ask because I hardly play adventure and my forts aren't really up to OSHA standards, which translates in people not dying of old age like, never. And I'm a tad interested on the expected length of life and how can be increased in game (besides becoming a vampire or necromancer).

You could just look at the raws you know. Elves and Goblins are chronologically immortal, Humans have the same average lifespan as in RL, I think Kobolds have the same lifespan as humans?, Dwarves generally average around 160-170 years. I did have one dwarf who managed to get so old that at first glance I thought he/she was a vampire (they weren't), that dwarf had lived to the very ripe old age of 179, maybe 180.

Edit: The maxage of dwarves is 150-170, but I find that they usually live well into their 160s. I also checked the raws and kobolds have the same maxage as dwarves, but with their lifestyle, seems like most wouldn't live to see 40, let alone 140.

As for increasing the lifespan in game, just edit the maxage, but that only affects when they die of old age.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 11:27:48 am by smjjames »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8554 on: January 03, 2014, 11:31:47 am »

also note that, in the current version at least, changes to the MAXAGE token in the raws does not have an affect on pre-generated creatures in worlds; people will still die at the date set upon their birth.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8555 on: January 03, 2014, 11:34:29 am »

I think the kobolds living that long could just be played off as being "lucky" enough to live that long if things go good for them.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8556 on: January 03, 2014, 02:26:24 pm »

Didn't knew the age was on the raws... sorry!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8557 on: January 03, 2014, 02:48:17 pm »

Also, love-bot?
I know it was probably just spam, but in my mind it was robots that give you procedurally generated happy endings.

FTFY

Mopsy

• Bay Watcher
  • loveless power is abusive powerless love is anemic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8558 on: January 03, 2014, 04:52:20 pm »

How will you avoid all the (mortal) adventurers loitering in taverns from dying of old age?

New ones will be born during gameplay:
Children grow up throughout the world now, as you are playing, and new relationships are scheduled properly. There aren't always people available, especially in the smaller sites, so they can look down the trade network at times. Members of a new pair don't move to each other's sites yet, though. I'm going to handle that with entity position succession, which is next, so we should see various travellers on occasion when that is done. I'm looking forward to the world being a bit more of a churning mass of activity, and it'll be nice for fortress mode especially to have proper replacements for all of the people that eventually pass on, so that you can keep up successive games for longer in the same world at the same level of involvement as time goes on.
To play the devil's advocate, we cannot be sure that historical figures will become adventurers during play yet, as they do in worldgen.

Given the following quote from Toady's lastest reply, I'd say they probably won't. It seems highly unlikely that post-worldgen NPC adventurers will go hunt down monsters while all the world gen adventurers idle in pseudo-taverns. Furthermore, it would be quite strange if post-worldgen NPCs occasionally declared themselves adventurers and then headed straight to the nearest pseudo-tavern without any actual adventuring phase. Therefore, I believe that while births will continue post-worldgen, only our own characters will rise to adventurerhood during play.

.... the world gen adventurers don't confront creatures...  they just hang out in pseudo-taverns. ....

Thinking about NPC adventurers and post-worldgen dynamics led me to another question for Toady. Will NPCs that are born post-worldgen be able to start careers and gain skills in some way (without being the player character's companions)? If they don't, we'll eventually end up with a classless all-peasant society.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8559 on: January 03, 2014, 05:02:46 pm »

Thinking about NPC adventurers and post-worldgen dynamics led me to another question for Toady. Will NPCs that are born post-worldgen be able to start careers and gain skills in some way (without being the player character's companions)? If they don't, we'll eventually end up with a classless all-peasant society.

That is actually a very good question and very good point on the classless all peasant society.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8560 on: January 03, 2014, 05:38:23 pm »

With the new companion mechanics, will we be able to get pets in adventure mode soon?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #8561 on: January 03, 2014, 06:44:13 pm »

With the new companion mechanics, will we be able to get pets in adventure mode soon?

Soon and DF development?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

blazing glory

« Reply #8562 on: January 03, 2014, 06:45:40 pm »

in adventurer mode,will night troll's perhaps do spouse convertion if they kidnap/defeat your adventurer in combat? I imagine non-lethal combat would have something to do with it.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8563 on: January 03, 2014, 06:48:47 pm »

With the personality rewrite, will vampires hide their identity in a more complete manner? Such as fake group associations and the like?

Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8564 on: January 03, 2014, 06:58:55 pm »

in adventurer mode,will night troll's perhaps do spouse convertion if they kidnap/defeat your adventurer in combat? I imagine non-lethal combat would have something to do with it.

Night trolls are always hostile to your adventurer, I doubt they are going to do non-lethal combat, especially when you're trying to to kill them in the first place.
Pages: 1 ... 569 570 [571] 572 573 ... 748