Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 560 561 [562] 563 564 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3806005 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8415 on: December 21, 2013, 02:05:51 pm »

Not sure if this has been answered previously, but here goes: will refugees in camps give players quests to go investigate/free their hometown, or do they expect us to take the initiative? Will they also know something about the happenings in the area they are now in and give quests to kill local night creatures and bandits?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8416 on: December 22, 2013, 10:31:40 am »

Is the role of the starting 7 going to be given especial thought when fortress founding scenarios come up? Logically, they could be forward scouts, prospectors, merchants starting a inn by the road, hardened mercenaries looking to claim long-rumored gold, and so on.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 01:57:57 pm by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8417 on: December 22, 2013, 12:04:25 pm »

Is the role of the starting 7, going to be given especial thought when fortress founding scenarios come up? Logically, they could be forward scouts, prospectors, merchants starting a inn by the road, hardened mercenaries looking to claim long-rumored gold, and so on.

Wait, is there a difference between the starting scenario and the role of the starting 7?  I think of those as the same thing.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #8418 on: December 22, 2013, 06:59:17 pm »

I wouldnt be surprised, that you still start off with seven, no matter the starting scenario.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8419 on: December 22, 2013, 07:10:32 pm »

I wouldnt be surprised, that you still start off with seven, no matter the starting scenario.

Norp :>

Threetoe:   Okay, so the next question: 'Are we likely to see the old 80-dwarf reclaim teams again anytime soon? I miss being able to command a huge military of dwarves to reclaim that legendary metal from the invaders, and a starting seven kitted out with bronze weapons just doesn't do it.'
Toady:   I don't remember why we got rid of that, because it was cool. I think the issue was more of a technical one, and a release-time one. This is me trying to remember stuff from years ago, but I think it was when the military screen changed and the whole military structure changed, and we started having to track all this extra information about the military; it became a pain to set up the reclaim squads right. It could just be something like that. I don't think we're against that because the start scenarios that we're doing for fort mode are going to have all kinds ... there could still be a core seven dwarves, if we want to stick with that out of a sense of tradition, but there are going to be scenarios where you start with a bunch of hill dwarves outside of your civilization, and starting with a larger military group - especially to reclaim a really dangerous fort - seems as cool to me as back when we had it before.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8420 on: December 22, 2013, 07:11:51 pm »

What did you think of Atrocious Beards Part Two (assuming you saw it)?

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8421 on: December 22, 2013, 11:51:42 pm »

What new features to or new maps will there be to export from the game in the next release?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8422 on: December 23, 2013, 12:04:13 am »

What did you think of Atrocious Beards Part Two (assuming you saw it)?

Assuming that means The Hobbit, I don't think it falls under this:
The purpose of the thread is to discuss current developments.

What new features to or new maps will there be to export from the game in the next release?

[...] the Nobility/Holdings map, which is a work-in-progress export from the legends view [...]
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 01:30:49 am by Footkerchief »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8423 on: December 23, 2013, 12:53:45 am »

With all these changes to how rumors and such get spread, is there any change to, say, demons impersonating gods?

I'm thinking it'd be fun to somehow let the player impersonate a god...
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 01:01:54 am by Putnam »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8424 on: December 23, 2013, 12:59:54 am »

Code: [Select]
[color=limegreen]With all these changes to how rumors and such get spread, is there any change to, say, demons impersonating gods?

"You're not sbmimet, hamster god of volcanoes!"

"Yes I am! I'll smite you!"

"What, with your volcano powers?"

"WITH MY KNIFE"
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8425 on: December 23, 2013, 01:02:23 am »

Code: [Select]
[color=limegreen]With all these changes to how rumors and such get spread, is there any change to, say, demons impersonating gods?

"You're not sbmimet, hamster god of volcanoes!"

"Yes I am! I'll smite you!"

"What, with your volcano powers?"

"WITH MY FACE"
FIFY

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8426 on: December 23, 2013, 01:14:18 pm »

Can the AI loot sites?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8427 on: December 23, 2013, 04:00:35 pm »

These big releases always seem to result in the dev page getting major restructuring.  I wonder how much it'll change after this release.

Can the AI loot sites?

Yes (emphasis mine):
[...] Meanwhile, back in the year 2, the Taut Evils, led by the demon Rafovi Larvaboil, pillaged the capital fortress of the dwarves. [...]
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 04:12:21 pm by Footkerchief »

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #8428 on: December 23, 2013, 07:48:51 pm »

Probably isn't a reasonable question to ask, but is conflict planned within civs in some future release? Will you be able to go to war with usurpers to the throne, or things like that?
Nowhere near possibly as the loyalty system currently can't process it, but could it happen in the distant future?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8429 on: December 23, 2013, 07:50:45 pm »

Probably isn't a reasonable question to ask, but is conflict planned within civs in some future release? Will you be able to go to war with usurpers to the throne, or things like that?
Nowhere near possibly as the loyalty system currently can't process it, but could it happen in the distant future?

It's almost in this release. The loyalty system that is in the current version of Dwarf Fortress is completely and utterly gone with the next release. In fact, here's a devlog from just over a week ago (emphasis mine):

In part for preparation of restoring governments after completing insurrections and otherwise turning over sites to other people, but also just for the mess of village-to-village fighting, you can now claim a site when you are there.

Another related post by Footkerchief from just under two weeks ago.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 07:54:40 pm by Putnam »
Pages: 1 ... 560 561 [562] 563 564 ... 748