Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 557 558 [559] 560 561 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3806129 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8370 on: December 18, 2013, 02:08:20 am »

I think Toady's said he hasn't messed about with prepare/recover times for ranged attacks yet...

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8371 on: December 18, 2013, 08:12:07 am »

And of course, it' obvious he's releasing the next year. I think a late January is an optimistic (overly so) date for release. To tell the truth is most likely we have to wait the whole first third of the year.

Which is completely fine. I could (and will) wait years for this game.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Uristsonsonson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8372 on: December 18, 2013, 08:26:50 am »

Do you mean just for the initial release or the bug fixes and minor tweaks before the three year Armies and Dimensions arc?

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #8373 on: December 18, 2013, 10:47:28 am »

Toady: Currently underground tunnels are capped at the map's edge in fortress mode to prevent invaders from using them. In future will this be different? Drums, drums in the deep!

Golym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8374 on: December 18, 2013, 11:54:48 am »

If a site gets a rumor that a force of critters is coming to eat them or torture them for fun (checking the ethics of the invading civ)

How will the game behave in case of the player decides to remain in/go to the site to confront the invaders?
I doubt anything special will happen here. The invasion will happen, and people will get slaughtered. Do you think something should go on?

What I was trying to say is how it will behave when looking in the Legends mode? How it will be called?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8375 on: December 18, 2013, 12:34:36 pm »

Do you mean just for the initial release or the bug fixes and minor tweaks before the three year Armies and Dimensions arc?
I mean the initial release would be within the first third of the year. I'm lost on translation here. What I meant is that a year third is four months, so a year can be divided up to three thirds, the first one from January to April, the second one from May to August and a third one from September to December. I thus believe the release of the next version to be within January to April next year.

What do you mean by Armies and Dimensions arc? I believed Toady didn't know what to work following this.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8376 on: December 18, 2013, 12:53:24 pm »

Toady: Currently underground tunnels are capped at the map's edge in fortress mode to prevent invaders from using them. In future will this be different? Drums, drums in the deep!

Do you mean worldgen tunnels, or tunnels that the player orders the dwarves to dig?  It's planned that attacking enemies will be able to attack through both of those, as well as dig their own tunnels to attack through:
Improved sieges

Eliminate remaining edge-of-map exploits
    More highly trained attacking soldiers when approprate
    Many trap exploits are handled above by requiring more to produce a trap, things like cage traps should make more sense vs. large creatures etc. (respect strength/ability vs. material, large cages might be separate object)
    Coming up with a plan to overcome pathing obstacles to reach fortress innards
        Ability to dig (optionally, default on)
        Ability to build bridges/ramps
        Ability to use grappling hooks/ladders/climb

If a site gets a rumor that a force of critters is coming to eat them or torture them for fun (checking the ethics of the invading civ)

How will the game behave in case of the player decides to remain in/go to the site to confront the invaders?
I doubt anything special will happen here. The invasion will happen, and people will get slaughtered. Do you think something should go on?

What I was trying to say is how it will behave when looking in the Legends mode? How it will be called?

Do you mean how Legends will describe the player's participation in the conflict?  Legends currently has formalized battle descriptions, but those only apply to the special abstract battles that occur during world generation.  In the scenario you described, Legends would describe it like any other ordinary fight -- it won't recognize that you're taking part in a larger struggle.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 12:56:51 pm by Footkerchief »

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8377 on: December 18, 2013, 01:33:54 pm »

When in-game languages are fleshed out, will it be possible to mod in real earth-native more-or-less accurately simulated languages? What if we pay you for it? I feel the Egyptians should have their due, for one.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8378 on: December 18, 2013, 03:08:16 pm »

When in-game languages are fleshed out, will it be possible to mod in real earth-native more-or-less accurately simulated languages? What if we pay you for it? I feel the Egyptians should have their due, for one.

Mancipia ut Armok: Deus in sanguine: Caput II - Pumilio Præsidium

Omnia dicta fortiora, si dicta latina!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8379 on: December 18, 2013, 03:13:05 pm »

I just come up with an idea, if each of us from different regions and languages make dictionaries in our corresponding languages and ditch them to the game DF could force you to learn new languages, specially while playing as an adventurer. Of course when and if different languages are fleshed out en el juego.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8380 on: December 18, 2013, 03:14:48 pm »

It'll probably be possible to mod in half-baked imitations of real languages, but since Toady hasn't begun work on it yet, no guarantees as usual.  I doubt there'll be a grammatical sponsorship drive or anything.
Spoiler: long (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 03:19:20 pm by Footkerchief »

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8381 on: December 18, 2013, 07:20:19 pm »

gun powder does not have to be weapons though if that is the developers aversion, what about medicine or other things its ingredients where used for?

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8382 on: December 18, 2013, 11:05:17 pm »

what about medicine or other things its ingredients where used for?
I'm pretty sure Dwarven medicine is more booze and water/lava falls to ease the pain, along with soap and water to clean cuts...

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8383 on: December 19, 2013, 02:06:32 am »

And eventually, Herbalism.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8384 on: December 19, 2013, 03:35:16 am »

And eventually, Herbalism.

Is this the point people make funny elf jokes?
Pages: 1 ... 557 558 [559] 560 561 ... 748