Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 539 540 [541] 542 543 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3806645 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8100 on: November 27, 2013, 10:54:07 pm »

Just tried the wrestle to steal clothes off of someone while sleeping and nobody else can see me, it made me an enemy of the civ :P

Doesn't attacking (including wrestling) someone currently make you the civ's enemy anyway?

I know it does, just wanted to check the while sleeping bit, and I thought it might work if nobody saw me. Short of using DFhack, the only way, as an adventurer, to remove items from someone else's inventory is attacking with a wrestling move.

Or chopping the relevant hand off. That works too.
Stab in the eye, shattering the skull and tearing the brain, then pick up items and repeat ;)

I meant without actually harming the creature you are stealing from.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8101 on: November 28, 2013, 07:24:45 am »

Quote from: devlog on 11/28/2013
[...]reputations in general (which won't always be heroic now[...]
I assume that reputation will now be either positive or negative. But is anything beyond that planned (at some faraway point in the future)? For example how much you fail or succeed in quests, how many of your followers usually survive, or how many hostile creatures you kill on your quests. So, for example, you could be known as someone who always finishes even the hardest quests, but followers never return alive; meaning you can only get suicidal or confident followers, but almost every entity would entrust you with their problems. Or your reputation portrays you as someone that usually has to retreat from battles and never takes risks, but has a loyal group of followers whose safety is of utmost importance (so, everyone would follow you, but you'll get barely any quests).

Is "reputation" planned to encompass other features apart from "good/bad"?
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

WarRoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8102 on: November 28, 2013, 08:12:41 am »

I assume that reputation will now be either positive or negative. But is anything beyond that planned (at some faraway point in the future)? For example how much you fail or succeed in quests, how many of your followers usually survive, or how many hostile creatures you kill on your quests. So, for example, you could be known as someone who always finishes even the hardest quests, but followers never return alive; meaning you can only get suicidal or confident followers, but almost every entity would entrust you with their problems. Or your reputation portrays you as someone that usually has to retreat from battles and never takes risks, but has a loyal group of followers whose safety is of utmost importance (so, everyone would follow you, but you'll get barely any quests).

Why won't you get quests if you are overly cautious? I mean it's not like they are paying in advance, they are not even paying after you have done the quest, so why would they care if you loiter around the dragon's lair for a month then pack up?
Plus a lord or some other head honcho might think it's not worth it to send someone who while does the deed  but at too much cost of lives, so he might rather send someone who brings home the men and women.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8103 on: November 28, 2013, 08:15:00 am »

Is "reputation" planned to encompass other features apart from "good/bad"?

The following passage from DFtalk 19 strongly supports that we'll get a far more intricate reputation system at some point:

Toady:   Yeah. There has to be punishment, and there has to be punishment for sitting there throwing rocks for 90 years or whatever people do to start their game. I guess you just become known for that, or something, and your heroic reputation would bleed away, they'd kind of forget that night troll that you killed. Maybe they think that it kind of touched your mind, maybe the night troll hit you in the head or something. You came back and you throw rocks and skulk around all the time. You've been touched by darkness, or whatever.
Rainseeker:   That would be really funny if you had someone observe you training, just the same thing over and over again. Spread rumors about you.
Toady:   Especially if you were wrestling with badgers, or whatever. They'd just be scratching their heads. Maybe someone would bring you a badger in a cage next time you come to town and just say, 'Here's our gift to you for all the great things that you've done.'
Rainseeker:   Yeah, if the game kept track of the things you liked to do and then responded to that, I would die of laughter, because that's just the game's way of winking at you and saying, 'You're stupid. That's not how real people behave.' I love it.
Toady:   It's all about role playing. What role have you played and so on.

That is, if we'll be getting reputations for badger wrestling and stone throwing, it's safe to assume any other reasonably conceivable idea will make it in too :P

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8104 on: November 28, 2013, 08:55:59 am »

Last night I dreamed that I refreshed the devlog and ThreeToe had posted dozens of updates, dating back to like September, including drawings and stuff.

I'm quite upset with the lack of devlogs. I can't judge them because I dont know how far back ThreeToe's troubles began, but this trend of sparse devlogs started long before the remaining itens list. I miss the old days when we had almost daily devlogs, sometimes with pictures and videos.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8105 on: November 28, 2013, 09:44:29 am »

Last night I dreamed that I refreshed the devlog and ThreeToe had posted dozens of updates, dating back to like September, including drawings and stuff.

I'm quite upset with the lack of devlogs. I can't judge them because I dont know how far back ThreeToe's troubles began, but this trend of sparse devlogs started long before the remaining itens list. I miss the old days when we had almost daily devlogs, sometimes with pictures and videos.

What old days are you thinking of?  What I remember is that stretches of about 4 or 5 days between dev logs are the standard.  Every day updates are reserved for the early planning stages and when toady is doing especially interesting testing.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8106 on: November 28, 2013, 09:59:57 am »

There is one today, and understandably he would be busy lately and the holidays are coming up.

Quote from: Toady One
Toady One Continuing along! Mainly stuff to do with the revised idea of a heroic reputation and reputations in general (which won't always be heroic now that you can start random fist fights with people), and quite a bit of amplification to asking for directions, including being able to drag somebody along with you, although that still isn't strictly necessary (we are worried about the lethality of that job and how often you might need replacements, so well-travelled individuals can direct you to sites and also join up if they want to).

Aw, so no more grabbing lots of companions to use as cannon fodder for mummies before going into the catacombs?

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #8107 on: November 28, 2013, 10:06:35 am »

Toady One Continuing along! Mainly stuff to do with the revised idea of a heroic reputation and reputations in general (which won't always be heroic now that you can start random fist fights with people), and quite a bit of amplification to asking for directions, including being able to drag somebody along with you, although that still isn't strictly necessary (we are worried about the lethality of that job and how often you might need replacements, so well-travelled individuals can direct you to sites and also join up if they want to).

Aw, so no more grabbing lots of companions to use as cannon fodder for mummies before going into the catacombs?
I don't think the amount of companions was limited, you just have to take more care of your reputation to get there. And random merchants and farmers probably won't be quite so eager to join up with you.
I wonder if the game has become odd.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8108 on: November 28, 2013, 10:45:28 am »

I don't think the amount of companions was limited, you just have to take more care of your reputation to get there. And random merchants and farmers probably won't be quite so eager to join up with you.

I grab soldiers from the keep and off the city walls as they are much more likely to survive.

Quote from: Tpady One
and quite a bit of amplification to asking for directions
So, will we be able to ask just where the catacombs are?

Another questionthought (yes, I just made that word up) on companions:
Will your adventurers companions be less likely to run off and attack the nearest wildlife, be it a rabbit or an elephant? That's a particular annoyance that I (and lots of other people I'm sure) have with adventure mode.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8109 on: November 28, 2013, 11:38:04 am »

Quote from: devlog
11/28/2013 Toady One Continuing along! Mainly stuff to do with the revised idea of a heroic reputation and reputations in general (which won't always be heroic now that you can start random fist fights with people), and quite a bit of amplification to asking for directions, including being able to drag somebody along with you, although that still isn't strictly necessary (we are worried about the lethality of that job and how often you might need replacements, so well-travelled individuals can direct you to sites and also join up if they want to).

I wasn't expecting the dragging in this release.  I wonder how it works -- physically dragging, or more like forcing them to join your group?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #8110 on: November 28, 2013, 12:44:53 pm »

11/28/2013 Toady One Continuing along! Mainly stuff to do with the revised idea of a heroic reputation and reputations in general (which won't always be heroic now that you can start random fist fights with people), and quite a bit of amplification to asking for directions, including being able to drag somebody along with you, although that still isn't strictly necessary (we are worried about the lethality of that job and how often you might need replacements, so well-travelled individuals can direct you to sites and also join up if they want to).

I wasn't expecting the dragging in this release.  I wonder how it works -- physically dragging, or more like forcing them to join your group?
I'm pretty sure Toady means it figuratively, rather than literally. I guess it's a forced guide "agreement."
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #8111 on: November 28, 2013, 03:33:48 pm »

question for the last twittering: Will snow cover the branches of trees in winter? Icicles when it rains?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8112 on: November 28, 2013, 07:59:51 pm »

I'm pretty sure Toady means it figuratively, rather than literally. I guess it's a forced guide "agreement."
Given that he then mentions his concerns for the lethality of doing that, I'd guess that we're going to have an option to ask for directions, and then if we want we will also be able to request they lead us there, which they may or may not accept.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8113 on: November 28, 2013, 10:00:50 pm »

Given that he then mentions his concerns for the lethality of doing that, I'd guess that we're going to have an option to ask for directions, and then if we want we will also be able to request they lead us there, which they may or may not accept.

And if they don't, just grab their arm or something, assuming non lethal combat is what works here.

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8114 on: November 29, 2013, 07:22:21 pm »

Do like minds attract now? Like if your reputation is -20, will NPCs whose reputTions are also -20 be more likey to follow you than a NPCs who's reputation is blank? Or more morally upstanding?
Al mondo mal non e senza rimedio

Reach me via Bitmessage ~ BM-2DC7sWixk2iSKThdX9thhyrxWBeWRXUEv9
Pages: 1 ... 539 540 [541] 542 543 ... 748