Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 526 527 [528] 529 530 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3804570 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #7905 on: October 30, 2013, 09:55:46 pm »

I figure now is a good time to ask my question, seeing as how this FOF somewhat addressed it:

"Will dwarves ever do anything besides loaf around in their free time? I can see how the personality rewrite can give them things to do without having to redo the job AI."
Eventually.

Though I suspect that when a dorf is playing an instrument or playing games, that it might still just look like loafing about.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7906 on: October 30, 2013, 10:32:56 pm »

I figure now is a good time to ask my question, seeing as how this FOF somewhat addressed it:

"Will dwarves ever do anything besides loaf around in their free time? I can see how the personality rewrite can give them things to do without having to redo the job AI."

Yes, the plan is to beef up those activities whenever taverns go in:
Toady:   [...] I'm all for dwarves being proactive, especially on their free time where they might just now be sitting on break or doing parties where they don't do anything and just stand around.

[...]

Toady:   I think adventure mode is going to have ... it's mostly going to be locals and people visiting for market days, as well as some travellers and people hanging out that you can perhaps hire. Whereas dwarf mode it's going to be more particular for dwarf mode at first, especially when you've got diplomats and merchants showing up as they do now. If they're going to stay for a while then they might need to eat and drink so you'll have to take care of them a little bit, and if they're going to stay a while - I mean how often do dwarves sleep - if they're going to stay a whole season you might need to put them up in a room. But there will be locals there. It depends on how soon we get back to a local economy inside the fortress, but it's basically making meeting halls more interesting for your dwarves at the very start, with the dwarves going in and instead of just claiming a room for parties or going on a break and just hanging out doing absolutely nothing they can take you up on the amenities you set up for them in your meeting halls, or dining room. It's kind of like a meeting hall and a dining room, those things might all get mushed together, and you'll have your dwarves go there, they'll be able to drink and play with little games and use their musical instruments ...
Menendez:   (banjo backing)
Toady:   ... and I don't if the kids show up at the bars and use their toys ... We want to get toys and instruments in but I'm not sure the toys ... like their little mini-forges, I don't know if you go to the bar for that, maybe you do if you're a dwarf.
Capntastic:   What sort of things will you be able to place, like amenities wise, and how much will dwarves care if the inn is not well stocked, what penalties could that incur.
Toady:   I don't even know if ... Tavern-wise, it's not like your own dwarves are going to stay at your inn, that'd be kind of cruel wouldn't it, if the seven dwarves arrive and they make an inn and then they have to stay at their own inn, but for your dwarves it's basically the same as it is now, they just need to be supported drink wise, they need to have good food, and they need to chat with their friends to bolster them up a bit, and if there's specific pleasures that come out of playing music and listening to people tell stories and that kind of thing - I don't know about dwarven dancing - and then playing with different types of games, which we'll talk about in a bit I'm sure. Those kinds of things for dwarves, it's really just an extension of the current mechanics and getting them to ... Right now if they go to a party, if they're talking to people and making friends that makes them happy but the party should be really more of a release than that for the dwarves, especially if they've got a lot of their minds that they need to have cancelled out, then they should have lots of different funny specific happy things to do there.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7907 on: October 31, 2013, 07:44:21 am »

Scamps is doing well.  It has been getting colder, so he has become a lap cat.  It's strictly a seasonal thing.  Once Spring rolls around, he'll be back to avoiding sitting on people.
I live in Florida; my cat has never sat in my lap.

Mopsy

• Bay Watcher
  • loveless power is abusive powerless love is anemic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7908 on: October 31, 2013, 08:11:43 am »

Will we be able to trade with companions in the next version? To give them proper equipment or have them carry some of the loot.

Nope, that would be a big enough feature that we'd have heard about it in the devlog.

There's the log entry from 02/22/2013, which states that
Quote from: Toady One
It's also getting to the point where you'd want to be able to walk into a house with a bundle of swords to hand out or something. Together with the new agreements, this raises the spectre of the potential critical game design flaw "NPC suddenly leaving with my stuff". I'll try to be careful, he he he, but you should be careful too.
I took that to mean that he was planning to implement at least a basic "Here. Use this weapon." mechanic, to make insurrections more effective. Of course, I don't know if that actually went in. I don't remember him mentioning it again.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7909 on: October 31, 2013, 08:31:37 am »

Don't remember clearly but I think I or someone else asked if you could tell your companions to use X or Y weapon. Can't remember either the response, but if I recall something was that it was the plan.
Toady we will be able to tell our companions (permanent or insurrection ones) which weapons and items equip and use?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #7910 on: October 31, 2013, 11:19:36 am »

Yeah, I always like to cleanup typos we've posted.
Noticed one in this post actually, hehehe.  :P
Ah! there it is : "bandit harassmnet"

Really looking forward to the next update, you can expect a new donation before S-max with a request for drawing depicting a carnivorous cavevine-flower eating a dwaerf. :D
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #7911 on: October 31, 2013, 05:00:26 pm »

Scamps is doing well.  It has been getting colder, so he has become a lap cat.  It's strictly a seasonal thing.  Once Spring rolls around, he'll be back to avoiding sitting on people.

I use my laptop while sitting on my bed.  Instead of sitting on my lap while I do, Carly sits in front of me, and I have to reach over or around her while doing anything!

Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7912 on: October 31, 2013, 11:48:38 pm »

I'm sorry if it has been asked and i didn't noticed, but as i have been playing Adventure mode since a few weeks, and noticing the many new additions to it from the various development logs, i would like to ask :

In current version, i have observed that when i play the Fortress mod , performance is very good, it even surprised me that i could run full forts with stockpiles filled with crafts, foods etc.. while getting besieged by big goblins army and still the game is very responsive to my command, i do not observe "commands lag", each keypresses got the expected answer from the interface.

But in Adventure mode, the situation is very different, in town performance can take a hit in areas like the markets or when there are lots of shops and houses filled with citizens. And sometime when the character, with a few followers, enter in a keep located in those towns (and keeps have very few people in them), performance drop a lot more suddenly and the "commands lag" become very noticable.
So my question is

In regards to all the additions that will be for the Adventure mod, what will become of the performance for the Adventure mode, will the game run much better due to some bugfixes and optimisations or should we expect roughly the same and possibly worse ?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 11:50:13 pm by Robsoie »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7913 on: November 01, 2013, 01:08:48 am »

Well I certainly hope it isn't worse. Most of the lag that I get from towns comes from the river not consistently staying 7/7 and of course, if your adventurer is weighed down by items, the slower your speed, the more things that the game has to proccess between time steps.

Performance actually gets a little better for me when I enter the area of the keep, so I don't know what is going on for you.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7914 on: November 01, 2013, 12:27:50 pm »

Don't remember clearly but I think I or someone else asked if you could tell your companions to use X or Y weapon. Can't remember either the response, but if I recall something was that it was the plan.
Toady we will be able to tell our companions (permanent or insurrection ones) which weapons and items equip and use?

Not yet, but right now there are mods that allow you to do that, so it might be still a free alley after the release, unless you're a fervent vanilla-only user.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7915 on: November 01, 2013, 01:15:58 pm »

And sometime when the character, with a few followers, enter in a keep located in those towns (and keeps have very few people in them), performance drop a lot more suddenly and the "commands lag" become very noticable.

I remember this happening to me a few times.  At least once, I discovered that the reason for the lag near the keep was that there were literally hundreds of bandits crammed into the catacombs underneath the keep- not really a bug, just heavy use of pathfinding code.  Once my massively-legendary adventurer slaughtered them all, the lag situation got a lot better.  However, due to actual bug, once you leave the area, they respawn.  That bug should hopefully get fixed at some point. 
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7916 on: November 01, 2013, 03:13:07 pm »

Maybe the 4/5 followers i always have with me does not help when that keep+underground pathfinding problems kick in.
In the underground dungeon of that town keep there were 15 or 16 bandits , but clearing it didn't seem to remove the problem, so i don't know if it's something specific to that world i generated or something else.

That said, it seems a known problem occuring since a lot of versions as i just noticed there was already a report on the bug tracker for version 0.31.25 and looking in the comments it's reported to be still there :
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5000

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7917 on: November 01, 2013, 04:01:23 pm »

Has the skill list been expanded upon regarding clothing, similar to what was done with farming? As in, Clothesmaker is the generic term, but a dwarf that specializes in hats would have the title of Hatter, or if it is shoes, he/she would be a Cobbler, or if in vests, coats, trousers, and shirts, a Tailor?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7918 on: November 01, 2013, 05:08:52 pm »

Not yet, but right now there are mods that allow you to do that, so it might be still a free alley after the release, unless you're a fervent vanilla-only user.

Not for a little while, no, because the mods are not raw-based but DFHack based.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7919 on: November 01, 2013, 05:28:13 pm »

Has the skill list been expanded upon regarding clothing, similar to what was done with farming? As in, Clothesmaker is the generic term, but a dwarf that specializes in hats would have the title of Hatter, or if it is shoes, he/she would be a Cobbler, or if in vests, coats, trousers, and shirts, a Tailor?

Sounds kind of redundant to me, besides you aren't going to see that much specialization in most forts. Especially forts that have a small population.
Pages: 1 ... 526 527 [528] 529 530 ... 748