Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 525 526 [527] 528 529 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3804571 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #7890 on: October 30, 2013, 11:22:16 am »

Lucky for me, I tend to radiate more heat then most people in my family.

I always have warm hands for example.

You must be able to bake some fantastic bread. Have you considered becoming a baker and compete in baking competitions?  :P

Ohh, I see what you did there  ;D

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7891 on: October 30, 2013, 12:38:03 pm »

Thanks for the answers, Toady!
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7892 on: October 30, 2013, 12:48:08 pm »

Glad to hear everything's okay again, and see a FotF reply! I do have a question now, though:

Toady; when we're assigned to find targets in the sewers, will they leave trails from recent voyages to the surface that we can follow back to them?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7893 on: October 30, 2013, 02:08:50 pm »

Thank you.

About how large are armies going to be, and are they segmented into squads or something?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7894 on: October 30, 2013, 03:05:50 pm »

Thank you.

About how large are armies going to be, and are they segmented into squads or something?

That's why he came up with squads way back in the 0.31.01 devcycle in the first place.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7895 on: October 30, 2013, 03:22:32 pm »

The question is if they are working now in the armies.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7896 on: October 30, 2013, 04:02:03 pm »

Army size will probably be on the same level as the city populations.  The devlog mentions squads a number of times:

01/25/2013 Toady One I've mostly been working on finalizing army path-finding on the map near sites, which have areas popping back and forth between different levels of resolution. So armies might be in "the city" one moment, and then in specific sections of the city streets the next, and then in tiles, and then back, and they have to be able to adapt to that without getting too confused and without overtaxing the processor in indecision. It was very satisfying the see the squads walk around on the half-zoomed-in city map properly, turning at intersections and using bridges. This shouldn't have any impact on dwarf mode speed, since city maps aren't loaded (so it just uses straight-line algorithms for most movement, and I can make it even rougher if necessary), and adventure mode seems fine so far as well (since time moves slowly there, so the actual calculations are rare).

08/04/2012 Toady One Army tracking information is left behind now, including your own trail as you move on the travel map. So you can loop around, go down into the local mode and signs of your own passing will be realized. You move in fairly large straight lines in only 8 directions in travel mode, so the paths are a little stilted, but that's fine for now. There's a memory concern to all of this as well, but I think I've got it cycling out at the right speed so that it won't drop too much tracking information too early. If there are lots of squads moving nearby there could be issues with information being cycled too rapidly to be of much use, but there are still a few things I can do. Now it's time to get started on actual tracking. I'll probably start with the player interface and then move to enemy squads.

07/28/2012 Toady One [...] After that, the next project is to get the army to organize a squad or two to search around for you after a time if they haven't caught up with you, which involve tracking in some form or another.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7897 on: October 30, 2013, 07:09:31 pm »

Did you ever get around to finishing the cave and kobold sites, or is that going to be left out for this release?

Sorry for asking this so many times.

Is there now a riding skill for creatures to learn? If so, can you learn and use this in adventure mode then?

Glad to hear Zach is doing better.

Not too long before release now....
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 07:12:13 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7898 on: October 30, 2013, 07:43:25 pm »

Did you ever get around to finishing the cave and kobold sites, or is that going to be left out for this release?

Sorry for asking this so many times.

Is there now a riding skill for creatures to learn? If so, can you learn and use this in adventure mode then?

Glad to hear Zach is doing better.

Not too long before release now....

I'm fairly certain that we'd have heard in the devlog if kobold sites had been done already. And I doubt they'd somehow be left out seeing as the other civ sites are done and it wouldn't make sense to leave the last and (seemingly) easiest one out. I'm sure this is one of the notes left on Toady's list for the release :>

(confirmation is always nice though ofc ^^)

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7899 on: October 30, 2013, 07:48:28 pm »

Quote from: Novel Scoops
Will stolen/traded artifacts be tracked now there's somewhere to take them too?

I haven't specifically changed anything here.  There's also the matter of kobold sites being the one place that haven't been done.

That answers the first part of the question anyway.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7900 on: October 30, 2013, 08:21:43 pm »

This release didn't involve working on mounts:
Quote from: Helgoland
With the combat/movement speed split, will we be seeing mounts in the next release? If yes, both for fort and adventure modde or just for one of the two?

I think somebody mentioned that dwarf mode mounts for dwarves aren't really a high priority.  I'd like to do adventure mode mounts, and the combat/move speed split was the main barrier, but it might be an overreach to do adv mode mounts now.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7901 on: October 30, 2013, 08:48:39 pm »

Will we be able to trade with companions in the next version? To give them proper equipment or have them carry some of the loot.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7902 on: October 30, 2013, 09:31:17 pm »

Will we be able to trade with companions in the next version? To give them proper equipment or have them carry some of the loot.

Nope, that would be a big enough feature that we'd have heard about it in the devlog.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7903 on: October 30, 2013, 09:37:16 pm »

Nope, that would be a big enough feature that we'd have heard about it in the devlog.
You're either able to give them simple order, or its 'low hanging fruit' before the release is out to give them orders. That relates to the sneaking that you can do. Since they can't sneak yet.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 09:54:41 pm by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Armeleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7904 on: October 30, 2013, 09:54:02 pm »

I figure now is a good time to ask my question, seeing as how this FOF somewhat addressed it:

"Will dwarves ever do anything besides loaf around in their free time? I can see how the personality rewrite can give them things to do without having to redo the job AI."
Playing since 2007
Pages: 1 ... 525 526 [527] 528 529 ... 748