Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 506 507 [508] 509 510 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3769481 times)

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #7605 on: September 25, 2013, 09:43:21 pm »

As for what the next Big Project is after this arc of releases winds down...none but Armok and Toady know. You could try divining from the entrails of a sacrificed animal.

Tried that, all I ended up with was a platter of offal.

Yummy, yummy offal.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7606 on: September 25, 2013, 09:58:14 pm »

As for what the next Big Project is after this arc of releases winds down...none but Armok and Toady know. You could try divining from the entrails of a sacrificed animal.

Tried that, all I ended up with was a platter of offal.

Yummy, yummy offal.

Sounds like a good harvest.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7607 on: September 26, 2013, 07:47:17 am »

I seem to recall a quote where he mentioned that the "personality rewrite" was so big, he ended up dividing it into chunks that will be dealt with as the analogous adventure mode aspects get worked on. So he's working on some basic framework stuff now, and then goals/aspirations will get fleshed out when worldgen leaders get their stuff, and relationships will get updated when adventure mode relationships can form, etc etc.

I don't know where he said that though, so it'd be great if some genius could come up with a citation.
Is it one of these?

Quote from: monkeyfetus
What happened to the personality rewrite? I was under the impression it was a precursor to all this stuff about entities interacting with each-other.

Parts of it have already happened, but I'm not doing it as an independent large push in the way I thought, so I haven't particularly noted it -- there are lots of other things wrapped up with the personality changes that we're still going to do later.

Quote from: Areyar
Now that you have entities and groups setting goals and acting on them in adventurermode, will you soon add these features also to groups in the Fortress mode?

So that groups such as familiy, inactive squads ect will coordinate their goals and actions more. Also intergroup; feuds, alliances etc. influencing an individuals' thoughts,likes etc. animals could claim territories and defend them.
Quote from: Cruxador
How will these new thought-systems interface with the upcoming groups system?
Quote from: tahujdt
Toady, will dwarves ever try to assasinate people(outside of tantrums)? Will we find fighting factions within our forts?

Having factions/religions/guilds in the fortress is something we're holding in mind as we work with the thought/personality/emotion rewrite and the entity claims.  The new systems are basically the framework of the personality rewrite we've been going on about forever and the dwarf mode interface there with groups is all of the sort of decision making we've been talking about.  However, I still need to gut the dwarven brain in the same way I've gutted the adventure mode critter brain to get them to be able to use the new stuff, and the old dwarven brain is large and messy. 

The upside of that was also being able to support things like custom job prioritization and better for decision making, but I haven't embarked on this yet, so I'd hesitate to say I've truly begun the personality rewrite.  The adventure mode dabbling should make the dwarf mode rewrite a lot easier when it happens, since I've gotten a chance to prepare an AI function more like what I'm imagining the dwarf will have now.  Once a dwarf is allowed to weigh actions and can take a free action a little easier, they'll be able to think about doing something for their various allegiances, whether it's killing another dwarf or something a lot less extreme.  It's important that the game isn't constantly disrupted to the point of unplayability, but there should be room for stuff.

Quote from: drvoke
Toady, how have you been approaching the implementation and design of personality stuff as this bit of the project moves forward?  Have you been consulting with anybody who specializes in psychology, or is this basically the result of wiki-diving and/or astute induction?

Zach and I have mostly just been talking situations out as we come to them.  Some reading online back when we were hashing some of the new categories out, but nothing in particular.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #7608 on: September 26, 2013, 10:17:06 am »

Probably all of those, though mostly the first :P Thanks!

CanuckMonkey

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7609 on: September 26, 2013, 05:30:16 pm »

Yeah, you get tired very quickly sprinting at this point, and running also makes you tired over time.  I think lower endurance characters also get tired when jogging, though I don't recall exactly how that balances out.

Toady, How do you distinguish between the different movement speeds in the code, especially running vs. jogging? I found http://www.runrunlive.com/the-difference-between-running-and-jogging which suggests that the difference is mostly a mindset, and that the roots of the word "jogging" are in a semi-slang term for walking briskly. I can certainly see room for differentiating speeds further, I'm just curious about how you've gone about it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7610 on: September 26, 2013, 09:46:53 pm »

((Sorry if I ask something already asked or something like that, this is my first time doing this.))

Toady, what will be the general layout of new sites? Is a dark fortress going to be completely aboveground? Also, will non-necromancer creatures be able to write books? Will adventurers be able to do it?

Judging from what the devlogs say, the goblin sites are mostly underground but they do have aboveground portions. I think anyway.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7611 on: September 26, 2013, 11:15:22 pm »

I'll assume they're something like those of 40d: Big towers on top of an underground complex.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

WarRoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7612 on: September 27, 2013, 07:52:30 am »

Will adventurers use their race ethics? Like allowing elf adventurers to devour corpses, as they do in world gen.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7613 on: September 27, 2013, 07:56:34 am »

Will adventurers use their race ethics? Like allowing elf adventurers to devour corpses, as they do in world gen.

Don't they already do that?

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #7614 on: September 27, 2013, 08:25:14 am »

Don't they already do that?
They don't, but it's likely an oversight.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7615 on: September 27, 2013, 12:30:42 pm »

I looked around and didn't see anything about dwarves being able to weild foreign weapons in fort mode, so...

Will dwarves in fort mode be able to weild foreign weapons properly like say, whips or other weapons you can't normally make? I haven't attempted to make my dwarves equip foriegn weapons, but I've read about the bug on wiki.

Although I also read that you sort of can, but the one-handed vs two-handed doesn't work right?

Jheral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7616 on: September 27, 2013, 01:07:50 pm »

I looked around and didn't see anything about dwarves being able to weild foreign weapons in fort mode, so...

Will dwarves in fort mode be able to weild foreign weapons properly like say, whips or other weapons you can't normally make? I haven't attempted to make my dwarves equip foriegn weapons, but I've read about the bug on wiki.

Although I also read that you sort of can, but the one-handed vs two-handed doesn't work right?

They already can, as long as they're not too big for them - halberds, pikes and two-handed swords tend to be outside the size range for dwarves. In theory, some can do it anyway, because they're bigger, but if I remember correctly, in practice everyone uses the base stats for their race, rather than their individual stats. So you can't use most of them.

I do that regularly with a slightly modded vanilla (modded in the sense of "slightly tweaked stats"), so I know it has been working for me for ages at least. The problem is that you can't make them, which means no steel or cotton candy, and usually low quality.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 01:27:57 pm by Jheral »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7617 on: September 27, 2013, 01:30:47 pm »

They already can, as long as they're not too big for them - halberds, pikes and two-handed swords tend to be outside the size range for dwarves. In theory, some can do it anyway, because they're bigger, but if I remember correctly, in practice everyone uses the base stats for their race, rather than their individual stats. So you can't use most of them.

I do that regularly with a slightly modded vanilla (modded in the sense of "slightly tweaked stats"), so I know it has been working for me for ages at least. The problem is that you can't make them, which means no steel or cotton candy, and usually low quality.

Oh, I may have misunderstood the bug/issue then.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7618 on: September 27, 2013, 01:39:31 pm »

Correct.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7619 on: September 27, 2013, 01:46:59 pm »

So it's not a bug but an oversight? Is that the correct word?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 506 507 [508] 509 510 ... 748