Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 505 506 [507] 508 509 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3769470 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #7590 on: September 23, 2013, 04:18:56 pm »

Hm, I don't know if anybody here has asked this yet:

Will we be able to cultivate fruit trees? By that I mean be able to have orchards of one or more species of fruiting trees.

I believe the answer was "Not yet".

I know we can just selectively choose what not to cut down in a specific area, I was thinking some kind of large building. Then again, I'm not sure how it would be done with a building kind of thing.

Given enough time, a player could definetly set up an orchard.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #7591 on: September 23, 2013, 07:18:05 pm »

Hm, I don't know if anybody here has asked this yet:

Will we be able to cultivate fruit trees? By that I mean be able to have orchards of one or more species of fruiting trees.

Quote from: CaptainArchmage
Will we be able to get orchards in Dwarf Fortress Mode too?

I haven't done tree planting yet, and I'm not sure how that'll end up.  It should be possible to grab things from existing trees.

Quote from: Japa
Will we be able to make gardens in fort mode?
Quote from: Aseaheru
Think its called farmplots...

There's the issue of planting, and the issue of gathering plant growths vs. whole plants.  One of those optional items I'd like to get done.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7592 on: September 23, 2013, 08:07:57 pm »

Where "like to" =/= "definately in"

I'm at once shuddering at the level of long term micromanagement involved yet intrigued at the idea of selective logging to induce an orchard in a "psuedo-organic" way.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #7593 on: September 24, 2013, 06:28:54 am »

Ad Asian cultures:

"Urist has lost his honor."
"Urist refused to seppuku."
"Urist became kabukimono."

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7594 on: September 24, 2013, 06:35:12 am »

Unless I'm missing something horribly, I don't see why 14th century technology couldn't be used to brew champagne and then squeeze oranges into it or something. Although personally I'd just hack the oranges up and throw them in a barrel of water with some yeast. Mmmm alcohol!

The champagne, actually.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7595 on: September 24, 2013, 11:36:14 am »

About Gunpowder, I'd like that some rocks or things, put together and with a certain temperature, can explode or become flammable.

That's the "alchemic" knowledge of gunpowder, like it was in the middle ages. I think it could be very cool, fun, and even, !!FUN!!. Like what we can do with lava, water and steam.

Controlling this to make real weapons like guns (even earlier ones)...well, I'm not very fan of this.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7596 on: September 24, 2013, 02:06:46 pm »

Actually, just heating certain shales can result in a shraptnel fest.

Shales have chemically bound water inside, and form discrete layers of cleavage. A bit like a pie crust fluffing up in the oven into crispy pastry layers, shales "puff up" when heated as that water becomes vapor, and gets trapped between those layers. As the pressure builds up, it splinters the shale chunk, and it shoots little flat slivers of rock all over.

Some kinds of shale are more prone to this than others, as some contain oil and natural gas deposits as well as water and hydrated silica.

A combination of channeled magma plumbing, and a sedementary shale layer, really should result in much mayhem, depending on the shale. (Up to and including spontaneous surface firs.)

I don't think toady has such a thing planned though.

More interesting, would be potasium nitrate salt beds out in hardpan deserts. That stuff is a powerful accellerant, and is the real accellerant found in black powder. IIRC, Argentina and peru export a good deal of the stuff. It can't form mineral deposits where there is any kind of strongly active hydrology though. Toady would have to redo part of his geology engine to have it form proceedurally. The exploding shale would be much easier to implement.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7597 on: September 24, 2013, 06:34:08 pm »

^^ This.  So much.

I can't wait for VOC's to be modelled in game.  I highly doubt we'll ever get Dwarven fracking, but Firedamp will (:D) be an awesome addition.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7598 on: September 24, 2013, 07:10:00 pm »

I was leaning more toward oil shales and oil bearing shales, which would be directly combustible, and should not only explode when heated crazily by magma exposure, but explode with actual fire.

Added bonus if this results in spontaneous non-constructed wall destruction, and escape of plumbed magma into the fortress, and flaming walls/floors elsewhere.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7599 on: September 24, 2013, 07:25:48 pm »

I think it might be touched on more when Toady gets to reworking light and illumination, due to the implications of torches and lamps
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7600 on: September 25, 2013, 02:19:01 am »

Anyway, after this update (which will be a very good one), it's quite sure that, whatever Toady's choice, it will be a good one.

Diplomacy arc, caravan arc with tavern, personnality/psychology arc, reworking light, alchemy, mastering great beast, mounting skill ?
Seriously, all of these things are awesome. All we can do is supporting him, and acclaim, and make the game better known.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7601 on: September 25, 2013, 02:58:01 am »

I think next planned after this update is the usual bugfixes followed by taverns, which'll be nice.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #7602 on: September 25, 2013, 12:50:40 pm »

Next planned after the bugfixes is whatever Toady wants it to be...he's mentioned personality rewrite work as one of the post-release features.

As for what the next Big Project is after this arc of releases winds down...none but Armok and Toady know. You could try divining from the entrails of a sacrificed animal.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7603 on: September 25, 2013, 01:13:53 pm »

Next planned after the bugfixes is whatever Toady wants it to be...he's mentioned personality rewrite work as one of the post-release features.

As for what the next Big Project is after this arc of releases winds down...none but Armok and Toady know. You could try divining from the entrails of a sacrificed animal.
Toady has been doing the personality rewrite on and off during the current development. Granted, it might not be complete as such, but it's there. What he has mentioned is taverns (as Putnam said, and seem to be among the most likely from recent posts), fortress starting scenarios, thief role work, hill/deep dwarves for fortress mode... but of course, first the bugfix period, along with job priorities and probably other little features (and maybe even "little features").
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #7604 on: September 25, 2013, 08:04:13 pm »

I seem to recall a quote where he mentioned that the "personality rewrite" was so big, he ended up dividing it into chunks that will be dealt with as the analogous adventure mode aspects get worked on. So he's working on some basic framework stuff now, and then goals/aspirations will get fleshed out when worldgen leaders get their stuff, and relationships will get updated when adventure mode relationships can form, etc etc.

I don't know where he said that though, so it'd be great if some genius could come up with a citation.
Pages: 1 ... 505 506 [507] 508 509 ... 748