Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 477 478 [479] 480 481 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807984 times)

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #7170 on: July 25, 2013, 03:25:04 am »

Quote from: Mushroom on a log
I also expect there will be travel allowed "off-road", out into the layers accessible from the fort, since the distances are too long to force local-view travel from point to point. I'm still ambivalent about that though, since part of the fun of exploring underground is seeing the giant mushrooms and so on as they come up, so there could still end up being a kind of middle ground in terms of where you are allowed to move in the travel view, depending on which obstacles you face and so on.

Underground travel sounds really cool.  The map use was totally unexpected so am very excited for this.  That middle ground also seems like a good idea.  If the distances are pretty large, it might be nice to be dropped out of map travel to see highlights on the way.  I'd definitely prefer the atmosphere of having to scramble round 'shrooms or walk carefully past an old underground fort or something - now and then - rather than sprinting from A to B.

Anyone know if some kind of rudimentary fruit/mushroom/crop harvesting will be possible in new adventurer mode?
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7171 on: July 25, 2013, 03:51:19 am »

Anyone know if some kind of rudimentary fruit/mushroom/crop harvesting will be possible in new adventurer mode?

Nope, Toady hasn't said anything about it. I guess when he starts working on adventurer crafting system, we'll get that too.

In meantime we can use AdvFort to harvest our own shrubs.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7172 on: July 25, 2013, 04:31:41 am »

Yes, there will be some ability to pick fruit, flowers, and so presumably also shrubs.
Quote from: Toady One, on 10/09/2012
We have falling leaves again, you can see them fall in little downward moving flows and land on the ground. This involves "item clouds" and "item spatter", which should continue to come up in various places over time. You can pick flowers and leaves and there are falling fruits and nuts. It's nice to have acorns and chestnuts in the game, though I don't have roasting handled. All of the fallen material can be picked up. You can also pick fruit directly from trees if they are hanging low enough (you'll be able to climb before long). I think we've got enough vegetation information to start in on elf sites themselves now.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7173 on: July 25, 2013, 10:56:23 am »

Would it be possible to show large trees on the travel map?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7174 on: July 25, 2013, 11:37:50 am »

Outside the very largest trees, such as those in the elf sites, that doesn't seem feasible to me. A tile in the zoomed-in city maps is what, 16x16, when realized at the lowest level? In theory, that fits over twenty of the 3x3 trees we've seen first. The 30x30(?) tree Toady mentioned would and should be visible as a 2x2 square on the city travel map (and should block travel), but would likely just use the plant tile on the regional travel map. The cut-off for being visible on the city map should be 10x10, I guess, at which point it wouldn't yet block travel... Unless you mean something like the interface that shows nearby buildings?
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7175 on: July 25, 2013, 01:46:39 pm »

How "alive" will a retired fortress be?  If you set up orders, burrows, patrols, etc, will the dwarves continue to obey them if you visit in adventurer mode?  If you retire then un-retire(?) a fortress, how much will be saved?

Reason I am asking is, how cool would it be to make a fortress, then visit there as a citizen from an enemy civ?

Or, even better, what about using the embark anywhere tool to start a fortress on top of an already existing fortress?  How would the game handle that?  Would it crash?

What if the civ you are part of is at war with the already-existing fortress's civ?  Could you have a "seige" if you did that?

So many possibilities...
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 08:24:07 am by Puzzlemaker »
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7176 on: July 25, 2013, 02:18:23 pm »

As it stands now, starting on top of a town of another civ that you may or may not be at war with doesn't give you the siege tag, so I would guess that doing so in the future still won't. The residents seem to be mostly-hostile, though. Especially the non-historical figures.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7177 on: July 25, 2013, 02:20:56 pm »

So traveling through the caverns won't take a RL hours anymore?

YAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7178 on: July 25, 2013, 02:50:39 pm »

So traveling through the caverns won't take a RL hours anymore?

YAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY

I hope it applies just to the underground road network, and not just skipping the caverns altogether. Sure, it's a faster way to travel around, but that shouldn't mean it's also safer.
At least we can now land on a huge mushroom and not resort to DFHack to fly our behinds from it's glitchy canopy. Also, climbing. Caverns and climbing. I think I'm going to spend RL hours in the caverns now.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7179 on: July 26, 2013, 09:45:51 am »

Yes, the ability to travel through tunnels is a welcome addition.  I would probably agree with Toady's sentiment that the caverns themselves oughtn't be fast-travelable, since they are somewhat intended to be an "adventure" (at least as I understand it).  This does go a long way toward making dwarven civilizations much more Moria-like, with winding tunnels through the mountain, and large systems of dangerous caves beneath. 

Gonna be fun I think (both kinds). 
where is up?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7180 on: July 26, 2013, 12:15:36 pm »

The only thing is, mountain tunnels will be extremely long. Far longer than would usually be interesting to walk through in real time.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7181 on: July 26, 2013, 12:27:45 pm »

Umm I see fast travel going on in well established routes and roads connecting forts, deep sites and what not, meanwhile not in caverns as people has pointed out.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #7182 on: July 26, 2013, 08:37:40 pm »

Frankly I don't see why there wouldn't be fast travel options- after all, above-ground civs like elves and humans build routes between their settlements, so why wouldn't underground ones? It would probably be restricted- you could only fast-travel through the designated paths- and you might encounter minor trouble on the way, but to my mind a blanket moratorium on underground fast-travel routes seems undwarflike.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Tomsod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7183 on: July 27, 2013, 10:50:23 am »

How will the upcoming change in sneaking affect goblin/kobold thieves' behavior in dwarf mode? And other NPC sneakers for that matter? Like, will they be smart enough to actively avoid your dwarves' field of view and so on or will the new mechanic only affect the PC?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7184 on: July 27, 2013, 01:38:50 pm »

I doubt there's any AI changes, but vision arcs might be in in fort mode. I hope there is nothing that compromises the effectiveness of guard dogs.
Pages: 1 ... 477 478 [479] 480 481 ... 748