Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 476 477 [478] 479 480 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807768 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #7155 on: July 21, 2013, 01:12:33 am »

will there ever been more work on the emotional factor clothes have? Will we have dwarves that don't mind wearing little to no clothes mingle with those who wrap themselves?
Cultural norms for clothing (and appropriate reactions to people violating those norms) are already planned for Adventure. Presumably nudity taboos will be revisited at that time. Don't expect super strong reactions in fort mode ever though. I don't imagine Toady wants a bit of nudity to doom a fort in any normal situation.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7156 on: July 21, 2013, 08:31:38 am »

Do not forget overall cleanup.

DF2013: grades, jobs, sleep schedules. All will be torn apart.
There's probably also still some jump/climb cleanup, some succession cleanup, the decision whether to work on town bandits, and I think there's something I'm forgetting, too.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7157 on: July 21, 2013, 09:37:25 am »

Cultural norms for clothing (and appropriate reactions to people violating those norms) are already planned for Adventure. Presumably nudity taboos will be revisited at that time. Don't expect super strong reactions in fort mode ever though. I don't imagine Toady wants a bit of nudity to doom a fort in any normal situation.
Happiness benefits based on preferences?

Toady, I guess this has been asked before, but: What are your views on a more varied dwarven sex life? Straight dwarves, gay dwarves, cheating dwarves, love triangles with all the stories attached to them... that stuff?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7158 on: July 21, 2013, 09:56:00 am »

I think this is the latest about sexual preferences
Quote from: G-Flex
That's actually a good question. A friend of mine recently asked me "Is Dwarf Fortress heteronormative?" jokingly, but I seriously do wonder that.
Heterosexual marriage, children and all that went in fairly quickly to establish world gen with simple, ongoing histories, and so you'd be able to continue on your possibly isolated fortresses as well.  We've even got a marriage sphere, since gods of marriage are very common.  These days it might look like a political stake driven into the ground, but that's simply not the case.  As for where it goes from here, it's sort of a choice of which realities you want to model, which you want to idealize, which you want to omit, and how they are all prioritized -- I've added lots of physical characteristics now, without racism, and that more or less points toward adding sexual orientations and having them all merge in naturally in every society.
Love triangles and cheating are such common tropes and story "generators" that I find it hard to imagine that it won't happen. Either way, he did mention in this thread, partially in reference to adultery - "I just haven't done anything with dwarven or other love lives at all.  I'm not sure how it'll end up.  It can clearly be made much more interesting."
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

hlavaczech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7159 on: July 21, 2013, 10:31:09 am »

Toady, one question about the interdependency between Adventure and Fort Mode:
Quote DFTalk:
"But now it's an agreement is formed, where there's some understanding that underlies every single thing about companionship in the game now about why they're with you, and kind of how long they're going to be with you, and then they can use that information to decide whether or not you're actually furthering this common goal..."

Will this "contract", underlying every single thing about companionship, have some effect on Fort mode?
a) ...with respect to starting 7 dwarves, or 6 dwarves versus Expedition Leader
b) ...with respect to immigrants?
c) ...as discussed before with respect to potential emmigration?

Thanks!

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #7160 on: July 21, 2013, 11:57:23 am »

Now that the world's factions have goals and active members who work to achieve them, are there plans to eventually be able to play as factions other than dwarf/human/goblin/elf settlers from a standpoint other than being an adventurer member? Certainly you could, for example, start an adventurer and create a cult, and then work through the cult as its high priest, but is it eventually going to be possible to play a cult, or whatever, from a standpoint more like dwarf mode, where there is no clear one character in the cult who is the standpoint of everything, and you have a more omniscient but distant position?

Do objects, like artifacts or books, get "inherited" from entity to entity as sites are conquered or things are pillaged, or do they always sort of belong to whoever made them?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 12:01:21 pm by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7161 on: July 21, 2013, 12:11:02 pm »

Will this "contract", underlying every single thing about companionship, have some effect on Fort mode?
That is adventurer mode only. It may have some effect on Fortress starting scenarios, but that's in the future.

Now that the world's factions have goals and active members who work to achieve them, are there plans to eventually be able to play as factions other than dwarf/human/goblin/elf settlers from a standpoint other than being an adventurer member? Certainly you could, for example, start an adventurer and create a cult, and then work through the cult as its high priest, but is it eventually going to be possible to play a cult, or whatever, from a standpoint more like dwarf mode, where there is no clear one character in the cult who is the standpoint of everything, and you have a more omniscient but distant position?
The keyword is eventually.  :P The dev-single page mentions playing a wizard tower and as a divinity (or maybe religion, but context seems to point to divinity). You'll also be eventually be able to lead a kingdom or nation, sending out armies, whether as an extension of Fortress mode or as its own mode (or both). The future ability to be a merchant may turn towards this as well, becoming a trading entity of some sort.
CONTROL A WIZARD ENTITY: Not just one of those guys that backs up the team and shoots fireballs, but run something more like a dwarven outpost and construct your own multilevel tower or other such dwelling. This could include adventure style elements where your wizard is engaged in various activities, as well as larger scale army battles and so on. Randomized creatures could also be introduced as you create your minions, and they should be able to breed and expand outward, perhaps becoming a playable race in either adventure or civilization modes. Related to Bloat134, Bloat147, PowerGoal58 and PowerGoal60.
DEITY: Have religions in the game correspond to forces or deities and let you play one and do whatever you like, possibly restricted by your defining characteristics and geography. Related to Bloat344, Bloat376, Bloat377, Bloat382, PowerGoal64, PowerGoal75, PowerGoal82, PowerGoal86, PowerGoal90, PowerGoal105, PowerGoal109, PowerGoal113, PowerGoal118, PowerGoal122, PowerGoal125, PowerGoal135, PowerGoal139, PowerGoal141 and PowerGoal146.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7162 on: July 23, 2013, 07:44:28 am »

I know the next release will mostly focus on adventure mode. but are there plans for a stockpile copy/paste function and prioritization of jobs for fortress mode in the foreseeable future?

Oh...and it would be awesome to be able to resize stockpiles, activity zones and burrows (decreasing area in the case of burrows), so we don't have to delete and redo every time.

Thanks for the great work so far, Toady!

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7163 on: July 23, 2013, 07:48:00 am »

I know the next release will mostly focus on adventure mode. but are there plans for a stockpile copy/paste function and prioritization of jobs for fortress mode in the foreseeable future?

Job priorization overhaul will probably come after the main release. Much like hauling update came after main release.

Bandreus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7164 on: July 23, 2013, 08:15:45 am »

Oh...and it would be awesome to be able to resize stockpiles, activity zones and burrows (decreasing area in the case of burrows), so we don't have to delete and redo every time.

Actually in the case of Burrows you can both add additional tiles and remove from them, you don't need to make a new burrow every single time you wish to change their area at all.

As with stockpiles and activity zones, you can subtract from them, but sadly not add-to. You can't add to those tough.

Copy-paste for stockpiles would be useful, but you can use the custom settings to create multiple stockpiles accepting stuff you want in a row. But anyway, once you get the basics of stockpiles and kind of know what is that you're going to need near your workshops and industries, I find designing the appropriate stockpiles is a very swift process, and you rarely need to re-designate those too often (well, if you have a plan, that is).

Now, some things about stockpiles are indeed a pain. I.e. I would take the ability to apply a custom filter to longass-submenus over a copy/paste or resize feature every day. Good luck scrolling for the appropriate entry if you want a stockpile to only accept a certain kind of meat/skin/body-parts/bones/animal cages or what have you.
Check out Enôrbomrek: Bluewhips a community fort and story by me.
Clearly, our top dwarven scientists are hard at work creating a new breed of SUPER WAGON that can survive being scuttled by enemy wagonmancers! These new super wagon troopers will be able to carry TWICE the cargo, be 1/3 the size, and NEVER scuttle!

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7165 on: July 23, 2013, 10:56:06 am »

@Banderus Copy-pasting stockpiles is possible with dfhack.

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7166 on: July 23, 2013, 11:03:52 am »

thanks for the quick answers guys!

Actually in the case of Burrows you can both add additional tiles and remove from them, you don't need to make a new burrow every single time you wish to change their area at all.
where exactly would I find the option to remove tiles then? don't see that anywhere  :(

Copy-paste for stockpiles would be useful, but you can use the custom settings to create multiple stockpiles accepting stuff you want in a row.
thanks, I didn't know about that before. but it would still be good to have the option to increase the size of an already existing stockpile. otherwise you possibly have to alter several piles if you decide to store something else.

Now, some things about stockpiles are indeed a pain. I.e. I would take the ability to apply a custom filter to longass-submenus over a copy/paste or resize feature every day. Good luck scrolling for the appropriate entry if you want a stockpile to only accept a certain kind of meat/skin/body-parts/bones/animal cages or what have you.
totally agree there! this should imo also be extended to the trade depot/trading screen.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7167 on: July 23, 2013, 11:13:21 am »

where exactly would I find the option to remove tiles then? don't see that anywhere  :(

Enter Define burrow mode and you can switch to erase mode with (r).

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7168 on: July 23, 2013, 01:05:36 pm »

Enter Define burrow mode and you can switch to erase mode with (r).
sweet thx :)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #7169 on: July 24, 2013, 02:39:58 am »

As with stockpiles and activity zones, you can subtract from them, but sadly not add-to. You can't add to those tough.

Copy-paste for stockpiles would be useful, but you can use the custom settings to create multiple stockpiles accepting stuff you want in a row. But anyway, once you get the basics of stockpiles and kind of know what is that you're going to need near your workshops and industries, I find designing the appropriate stockpiles is a very swift process, and you rarely need to re-designate those too often (well, if you have a plan, that is).

Issue is mostly repetition.

While setting up individual stockpile is not so dramatic, most of them are done exactly same way in every fort you set up. Food stockpile being most noticeable.

You want several versions of it: cooked food, brewed drinks and seeds are easy, but cooking supplies, brewing supplies, milling supplies, farmer-workshop supplies ... they pretty much require small consultation of wiki, and never change.

Doing this in each fort is tiresome.
Pages: 1 ... 476 477 [478] 479 480 ... 748