Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 422 423 [424] 425 426 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3806892 times)

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #6345 on: May 14, 2013, 07:46:53 pm »

Gravity already affects falling and throwing, and now with jumping it becomes even more important.  Will the size of a world ever affect the amount of planetary mass, and thereby the gravitational pull so that it may vary from our usual 9.8m/sē?  Could world composition also affect mass (i.e. Earth-like molten iron core vs. some other metal) and therefore gravity?

Will curvature of the planet ever be taken into account in calculations for things like throwing trajectory or line of sight for high altitudes?  Could this also be dependent on the world (planet) size?  Will worlds ever be non-flat (i.e. wrap around like Civilization), and if so, would it be theoretically possible (if the dwarves could survive the heat and the HFS) to dig a magma-safe tunnel into the center of the planet, and eventually come out the other side?  Will gravity ever lessen as you dig closer to the center?

There was a bit of discussion on the DF Talks #5 and #8.
Spoiler: quotes (click to show/hide)

I think they also talked about gravity altering artifacts at some point.

It seems like the general idea is to make laws of physics randomizable, probably moddable. That would most likely result in gravity changing as you dig deeper, as well as curvature being important on dwarf planets.
Holy shit that sounds awesome

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6346 on: May 14, 2013, 08:10:50 pm »

Now that trees are multi-tiled and have more of a sense of scale, will other things be getting a sense of scale as well? Massive mountains, or multi-tiled creatures, If so how would multi tiled creatures work? Would they all be square, or would certain creatures be rectangular or different shapes? would they all be flat or would they encompass multiple vertices tiles? How would a giant creature compensate for tiny fortress entrances?

Massive mountains are fair game, but multi-tile creatures may never make it in:
Quote from: DF Talk
Rainseeker:   Right. Well, I have a technical question here; 'How exactly long, wide and tall is a tile in Dwarf Fortress? Are they cubes?'; this is from Lonewolf.
Toady:   What the traditional answer is [is] that they're not so big that a dwarf doesn't have to crawl under another dwarf to get through a corridor but at the same time they're big enough to hold a thousand dragons as long as nine hundred and ninety nine of them are lying down. On the other hand it's a serious question because so much would ride on giving an answer; that's why I haven't so far. Because the second that you give an answer the game becomes constricted and you need things to make more sense; suddenly everything needs to make sense. I'm not ready to do that; I think there's something to be said for it - something to be said for nailing that down - but it would really kind of invite things like multi-tile creatures and stuff that I'm just not ready to do. There are some good things about multi-tile creatures; I think they'd be kind of cool. But path finding would need to be changed heavily, and there'd be other issues with them. Would they be too easy to kill for example by hiding off somewhere that they can't get to and shooting at them or whatever; so they'd need to be smart enough to avoid situations like that which might be difficult. So that's kind of one of the main problems - the large creatures - why I haven't established a number yet.

[...]

Capntastic:   Will you be able to climb things in the future, like climb a dragon and punch its brain?
Toady:   There's the issue with ... It's a question of multi-tile creatures partially - which is a difficult problem - but just the fact that there's the wrestling, and even without multi-tile creatures you've got things like groundhogs that can currently jump up and bite your eyes. That's one of the problems I'm having when I was doing my groundhog tests: twenty versus a guy with a knife, who wins? If the groundhog problem is solved, which it needs to be solved - not for this release most likely but at some point - then that means that that same thing will happen to you when you're fighting a giant creature. I think it would be cool to jump up on things, beyond just Shadow of the Colossus it's a common thing in Ray Harryhausen stuff and so on. So with the large creatures I think it'd be really cool to jump up on them and climb them and swing from them and so on. It wouldn't be as dramatic visually of course as Shadow of the Colossus but it certainly would be a lot of fun.

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6347 on: May 14, 2013, 10:20:00 pm »

Massive mountains are fair game, but multi-tile creatures may never make it in

Well, not with that attitude  :(

But seriously, from the quotes you gave us it seems there's still a lot of hope. Granted, it won't happen anytime soon... maybe if Toady get's around doing a complete pathfinding overhaul. I am willing to bet Toady is crazy enough to muscle a feature like that in the game, even if it takes years and makes him half mad in the process. Remember Z levels? Was it not a major change similar in scope?

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6348 on: May 14, 2013, 10:30:07 pm »

What version number is the upcoming release likely to be? THe current is 0.34.11, is the next like 35 or 36?

Gremdavel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Gremdavel
« Reply #6349 on: May 14, 2013, 11:18:38 pm »

There was a bit of discussion on the DF Talks #5 and #8.

I think they also talked about gravity altering artifacts at some point.

It seems like the general idea is to make laws of physics randomizable, probably moddable. That would most likely result in gravity changing as you dig deeper, as well as curvature being important on dwarf planets.

Thanks!  Have tried to listen to as many past DF Talks as possible since I started playing at the beginning of February (started listening at the most recent one and have gone backwards from there), but haven't gotten that far back yet.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6350 on: May 15, 2013, 12:03:17 am »

What version number is the upcoming release likely to be? THe current is 0.34.11, is the next like 35 or 36?

Prolly going to be 38.
Or so they say.

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6351 on: May 15, 2013, 12:16:05 am »

Prolly going to be 38.
Or so they say.

Thank you :3

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6352 on: May 15, 2013, 01:25:45 am »

Sorry for so many post, but in the future with random civ factors, can there be more than a few non-eurocentric features such as sachems or other things?

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6353 on: May 15, 2013, 03:41:26 am »

On the subject of multi-tile creatures, there is quite a bit of variability in how bad the pathfinding becomes depending upon how general you would like "multi-tile" and "paths" to be.  If your multi-tile creatures are all cubes, then it isn't so bad.  These problems and more all come up with boats and seige-engines and moving fortress components, which we know are planned features, so the idea that those concepts might be applied to creatures isn't so far-fetched. 

The AI issue is somewhat less certain, though there are already situations now where no path exists between two creatures and the AI doesn't know what to do about it, so perhaps it isn't as large an issue as it seems. 

Regardless, it is all a very very long way off. 
where is up?

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6354 on: May 15, 2013, 04:21:35 am »

Sorry for so many post, but in the future with random civ factors, can there be more than a few non-eurocentric features such as sachems or other things?

You can already mod your raws so that the human leaders are called this way, because I haven't found anything else that jumps to my mind when thinking about sachems. Not to diss native cultures of any kind, but remember that Dwarf Fortress is, at its still developing heart, a generic fantasy generator. I think that, as soon as spheres for biomes, civilizations and magic (to a lesser extent) get some flesh on their layout, then we might see some random stuff as feathered snakes soaring above jungle canopies, magic carpets or people that eat their dead relatives as a cultural custom and a way of burial, none of that being quite euro.

Toady has said in a few FotF regarding this release that non-humans will steadily get further away from their stereotyped cultural trappings, shaping some of their own. Some day, as the example was laid, we'll have something akin to mongol raiders, in the form of human raiders, so that could be an answer of sorts.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6355 on: May 15, 2013, 10:00:12 am »

It was my understanding that while the fantasy races (dwarves, elves, goblins etc...) will become more alien compared to human cultures, they would also tend to have less variability and humans will become the entity that has clear distinctions and high variability between civilizations.
e.i; three dwarf civilizations will more than likely all be nearly identical except some variations in law and tradition and religious practices, but three human civilizations might share little in common with one-another besides being designed to suit human physiology and needs.

These variable civilization concepts won't be showing up any time soon I'd wager. Toady will want to make sure the basics for all possibilities for civilizations are covered before giving the RNG the go-ahead to toss them in a blender.

And yeah we'll also be seeing the same with magic and sphere-related biomes at some point, but again Toady can't flesh them out until they're functioning and have the potential for high degrees of variation on a basic level, and there are tons of other neat things to look forward to that might come before them. I can't freaking wait for them, though. Interactions are already so much fun to play with.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #6356 on: May 15, 2013, 10:05:16 am »

We could also try to guesstimate it based on which parts of the dev page Toady could green/purple out after the release. Likely to be horribly inexact, of course.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What can we make of that? I we assume that each bullet point is worth 1/4 for the version number (remember, it's no longer the static one core, +1 to version number), we're landing at 38 1/2 or thereabouts.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6357 on: May 15, 2013, 02:17:45 pm »

Apparently this is the place to post questions I'm curious about. 

I did a little searching and noticed that some plans for the future are to have NPCs that give detailed directions and to have animals that leave tracks, for the purposes of hunting.  This is GREAT and I believe that it definitely adds realism but I was wondering just how far I could expect these features to go.  Specifically, I was wondering if there are plans to ever get rid of that quest compass in the upper left corner completely.  So, paraphrased, I guess here's my question:

Do you intend, at some point, to completely phase out that upper-left quest pointer and replace it with more realistic ways to find quest targets, as in signposts, discernible landmarks, NPCs that give detailed directions, NPCs that leave tracks, and a compass as an inventory item?

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6358 on: May 15, 2013, 02:24:33 pm »

I did a little searching and noticed that some plans for the future are to have NPCs that give detailed directions and to have animals that leave tracks, for the purposes of hunting.  This is GREAT and I believe that it definitely adds realism but I was wondering just how far I could expect these features to go.  Specifically, I was wondering if there are plans to ever get rid of that quest compass in the upper left corner completely.  So, paraphrased, I guess here's my question:

Do you intend, at some point, to completely phase out that upper-left quest pointer and replace it with more realistic ways to find quest targets, as in signposts, discernible landmarks, NPCs that give detailed directions, NPCs that leave tracks, and a compass as an inventory item?

One of THE things coming in this update is that NPCs no longer know exact positions of lairs, so there's that.

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6359 on: May 15, 2013, 02:43:30 pm »

One of THE things coming in this update is that NPCs no longer know exact positions of lairs, so there's that.

:D Exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about.  Sorry I missed it.
Pages: 1 ... 422 423 [424] 425 426 ... 748