Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 421 422 [423] 424 425 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3806814 times)

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #6330 on: May 10, 2013, 10:34:03 pm »

Near the end. 11:50 or something. It was the last question.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6331 on: May 10, 2013, 10:48:29 pm »

I think it would make more sense to have a civ where the vampires are the leadership, ala Sylvania from Warhammer lore.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6332 on: May 10, 2013, 11:47:36 pm »

Actually, vampiric leaders are not unheard of.  They're more common in worlds with a longer world gen duration; vampires that grab a throne tend to keep it. 
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6333 on: May 11, 2013, 03:04:38 am »

Vampires are fine the way they are (apart from being attacked by their own troops upon being ousted, even if it was incredibly obvious). What I really want to see is werebeasts that blend in.

Speaking of vampires; what is up with Fortress Mode automatically (and irreversibly) labeling vampire blood-drinkers as vampires? Unintentional? Either way, it takes a lot of fun out of succession fortress vampire conspiracies when you can't covertly infect a select few members of the population without immediately giving them away.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6334 on: May 11, 2013, 09:18:23 am »

But add a tad of political scheming and intrigue between themselves, in a no undead society that accept and know their leaders are vampires would be interesting.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6335 on: May 11, 2013, 09:50:13 am »

Speaking of Vampires! When you retire in a location, if you make sure you are inaccessible to the fort will you remain so (in the same location) when you reclaim? Otherwise I'm imagining a a year and a half's worth of bloodletting in the time skip as the Adventure Mode Vampire Tax, not to say that couldn't be justified  :P.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #6336 on: May 11, 2013, 03:33:19 pm »

Speaking of Vampires! When you retire in a location, if you make sure you are inaccessible to the fort will you remain so (in the same location) when you reclaim? Otherwise I'm imagining a a year and a half's worth of bloodletting in the time skip as the Adventure Mode Vampire Tax, not to say that couldn't be justified  :P.
In all likelihood, vampire feeding will not be one of the things tracked during actual play for the next version (for that matter, I don't think food use has been mentioned for the next version).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

toboo123

• Bay Watcher
  • Cries when friends don't like DF
    • View Profile
« Reply #6337 on: May 14, 2013, 02:25:09 pm »

Now that trees are multi-tiled and have more of a sense of scale, will other things be getting a sense of scale as well? Massive mountains, or multi-tiled creatures, If so how would multi tiled creatures work? Would they all be square, or would certain creatures be rectangular or different shapes? would they all be flat or would they encompass multiple vertices tiles? How would a giant creature compensate for tiny fortress entrances?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6338 on: May 14, 2013, 02:43:11 pm »

Yes, no timeline.

Gremdavel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Gremdavel
« Reply #6339 on: May 14, 2013, 03:41:08 pm »

Gravity already affects falling and throwing, and now with jumping it becomes even more important.  Will the size of a world ever affect the amount of planetary mass, and thereby the gravitational pull so that it may vary from our usual 9.8m/s2?  Could world composition also affect mass (i.e. Earth-like molten iron core vs. some other metal) and therefore gravity?

Will curvature of the planet ever be taken into account in calculations for things like throwing trajectory or line of sight for high altitudes?  Could this also be dependent on the world (planet) size?  Will worlds ever be non-flat (i.e. wrap around like Civilization), and if so, would it be theoretically possible (if the dwarves could survive the heat and the HFS) to dig a magma-safe tunnel into the center of the planet, and eventually come out the other side?  Will gravity ever lessen as you dig closer to the center?

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6340 on: May 14, 2013, 04:35:40 pm »

as a tiny sidenote, will backpacks be added to arena mode?

(thank you for the show that I put the wrong color at first)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 06:26:59 pm by Zavvnao »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6341 on: May 14, 2013, 04:39:46 pm »

as a tiny sidenote, will backpacks be added to arena mode?
Or quivers?

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6342 on: May 14, 2013, 06:38:37 pm »

Gravity already affects falling and throwing, and now with jumping it becomes even more important.  Will the size of a world ever affect the amount of planetary mass, and thereby the gravitational pull so that it may vary from our usual 9.8m/s2?  Could world composition also affect mass (i.e. Earth-like molten iron core vs. some other metal) and therefore gravity?

Will curvature of the planet ever be taken into account in calculations for things like throwing trajectory or line of sight for high altitudes?  Could this also be dependent on the world (planet) size?  Will worlds ever be non-flat (i.e. wrap around like Civilization), and if so, would it be theoretically possible (if the dwarves could survive the heat and the HFS) to dig a magma-safe tunnel into the center of the planet, and eventually come out the other side?  Will gravity ever lessen as you dig closer to the center?

:D Has there ever been a game that has had questions like this asked of the developers?

To be somewhat helpful, Toady did chat about worlds with weird shapes other than spherical in a DF Talk (can't remember which one), and the most likely place you're going to see deviations from the norm is probably in different dimensions (if/when that's implemented) which he's also talked about before but not in much detail. It's basically "Sounds cool and would be interesting, but I haven't thought about it much and there's no time line for it."

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6343 on: May 14, 2013, 07:19:45 pm »

The world is currently generated to be about the size of a small country. It would not do to make gravity proportional to a planet that small.

It's also a fantasy world generator, so should allow for the world to be flat.

But being able to see long distances from mountains or on flat plains would be a nice feature.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #6344 on: May 14, 2013, 07:28:18 pm »

Gravity already affects falling and throwing, and now with jumping it becomes even more important.  Will the size of a world ever affect the amount of planetary mass, and thereby the gravitational pull so that it may vary from our usual 9.8m/sē?  Could world composition also affect mass (i.e. Earth-like molten iron core vs. some other metal) and therefore gravity?

There was a bit of discussion on the DF Talks #5 and #8.
Spoiler: quotes (click to show/hide)

I think they also talked about gravity altering artifacts at some point.

It seems like the general idea is to make laws of physics randomizable, probably moddable. That would most likely result in gravity changing as you dig deeper, as well as curvature being important on dwarf planets.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.
Pages: 1 ... 421 422 [423] 424 425 ... 748