Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 409 410 [411] 412 413 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3806256 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #6150 on: April 26, 2013, 03:48:56 pm »

And how long this has taken? According to my mayan calendar we are a tad over a year now. Maybe this will take that much too.

Oh, I'm sure going from 3d to 2d was some pretty awesome madness, I wasn't a fan of the game yet sadly.

Codewise, I wonder what take more lines. I guess not even the Toad knows.
Toady, how many lines of code make up DF?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6151 on: April 26, 2013, 03:49:56 pm »

A video posted a while back had that mentioned. I think it's ~320,000?

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #6152 on: April 26, 2013, 05:43:39 pm »

It was this video. About 380,000 lines of code by last December.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6153 on: April 27, 2013, 05:35:34 am »

In future, will there be some provision in the raws for the way a civilization treats members of other races who fall under its sway in the course of its military campaigns? It's just that right now I notice there seems to be a predominance of human civilizations ruled by amphibian men and suchlike - might there be some civilizations which outright cull other races, while others treat them as second-class citizens - fit to work, but never to have any real power?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6154 on: April 27, 2013, 09:50:36 am »

Everything will be in the raws, eventually.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #6155 on: April 27, 2013, 02:39:08 pm »

Well, not quite everything - Toady has mentioned that there are a few things that don't take well to raw-ification. Spheres are one thing he mentioned I recall, but his stance on putting them into raw form has softened.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6156 on: April 27, 2013, 05:54:20 pm »

Oh well obviously he can't put "everything", there's things that might be prohibitive or outright impossible, but most things will be there, eventually. Things like attitudes and social behavior like the past question certainly will be there, some day.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6157 on: April 27, 2013, 06:05:09 pm »

Obviously "What tags can we use to modify the raws, and what do they do?" won't be in the raws.  :P
More seriously, I don't think quality, wear, and skill modifiers/levels will ever be in the raws, but sometimes I wish they were (for those people who make "More Realizm!!1!" mods).
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #6158 on: April 27, 2013, 08:31:24 pm »

Oh well obviously he can't put "everything", there's things that might be prohibitive or outright impossible, but most things will be there, eventually. Things like attitudes and social behavior like the past question certainly will be there, some day.

Heck, some of the current Ethics Tokens could be used to address things like that. TORTURE_AS_EXAMPLE and SLAVERY, for example, and I wouldn't be surprised if the first implementation of second-hand citizenry is a RACISM token or something.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #6159 on: April 27, 2013, 08:51:41 pm »

Do you plan to allow blunt attacks to apply a shearing force in certain situations, such as hitting flesh at an angle or just simply hitting hard enough/with a small enough contact area?

Is scamps neutered?

What is your opinion on the casual social patterns and structures of forumites across the board? Any insightful observations you could relay to us?

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6160 on: April 27, 2013, 09:46:28 pm »

Aerval

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6161 on: April 28, 2013, 05:38:24 am »

Well, not quite everything - Toady has mentioned that there are a few things that don't take well to raw-ification. Spheres are one thing he mentioned I recall, but his stance on putting them into raw form has softened.
Oh no, why spheres :( I always wanted to generate a world where PI is 3

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6162 on: April 28, 2013, 08:06:28 am »

are there any plans to output errors for creature_mat:creature:creature token material where the creature token material doesn't exist?  As is, it defaults to the first creature token material and doesn't output any error.

I know first hand while I was trying to figure out why my chitin materials were being outputted as animal skins (all with no errorlog.txt messages)

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6163 on: April 28, 2013, 08:52:49 am »

Toady, do you find public speaking daunting? Have you had much experience at it?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #6164 on: April 28, 2013, 09:51:58 am »

Oh no, why spheres :( I always wanted to generate a world where PI is 3

Wrong kind of spheres.  :P Anyway, while I didn't make it clear, I meant things that could conceivably go into the raws that weren't likely to enter them. Another I recalled are the biomes, for instance.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 409 410 [411] 412 413 ... 748