Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 372 373 [374] 375 376 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3805998 times)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5595 on: March 08, 2013, 03:00:46 am »

On the subject of dive-bombs,

Toady, how will flying adventurers attack with weapons while flying/diving? Many of the current attacks would realistically require a solid footing, or an insanely large amount of balancing force generated by an obscene wingspan.

Seeing as nothing like this exists in real life, flying creatures with material culture and weapons, modelling it "realistically" would be difficult. But I guess on things like this, requiring both imagination due to novelty and real consideration for physics (unlike magic), we get into the really fun territory of speculative fiction.

They would use archers only, raining death from above while safely out of reach from your melee squad, or your archers who would have to fire upwards.
There is certainly no need for them to risk getting hurt while fighting those puny humans.

Whatsifsowhatsit

• Bay Watcher
  • Big geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #5596 on: March 08, 2013, 03:49:41 am »

...humans?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5597 on: March 08, 2013, 04:01:21 am »

On the subject of dive-bombs,

Toady, how will flying adventurers attack with weapons while flying/diving? Many of the current attacks would realistically require a solid footing, or an insanely large amount of balancing force generated by an obscene wingspan.

Seeing as nothing like this exists in real life, flying creatures with material culture and weapons, modelling it "realistically" would be difficult. But I guess on things like this, requiring both imagination due to novelty and real consideration for physics (unlike magic), we get into the really fun territory of speculative fiction.

They would use archers only, raining death from above while safely out of reach from your melee squad, or your archers who would have to fire upwards.
There is certainly no need for them to risk getting hurt while fighting those puny humans.

Except, you know if they run out of arrows. I'd expect a fighting style involving building momentum as the wingbeat brings the body up, and then delivering the strike as the body sinks between wingbeats. Probably striking the head and shoulders. They'd likely use something pole-based, maybe with a weight or pointy bit on the bottom, for thumping faces with. Things might really be interesting for combat with other aerial foes, though.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5598 on: March 08, 2013, 09:12:00 am »

Urist Vultan, Hawkman Prince: "Onward my brave Hawkmen!  And may this be known forever, as Flash Gordon's Day!"

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5599 on: March 08, 2013, 12:57:12 pm »

While down there, behind his hardened walls Merciless Ming prepare his uber powerful super secret gatling crossbow.
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5600 on: March 08, 2013, 03:05:53 pm »

When the new version comes out, will the sheriff once again acknowledge reports of dwarven violence? I.e, will we be able abuse the Justice System to supress the violent populace like the good old days? :D
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 03:08:49 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #5601 on: March 08, 2013, 04:48:48 pm »

When the new version comes out, will the sheriff once again acknowledge reports of dwarven violence? I.e, will we be able abuse the Justice System to supress the violent populace like the good old days? :D
It's unlikely that the next version will have any specific fixes unrelated to the active development, but the bugfix period afterwards could have that fix.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

finka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5602 on: March 09, 2013, 01:52:01 am »

It might be possible for a retired player fortress to be used as a connection in this way, but not during play.  In fact it would probably work to just claim a site that spans the two continents and do nothing about tunnels or bridges. 

That is to say, if fortresses spanning continents are considered to be a "connection" at all ever then it is likely to be all of them always regardless of local constructions.  Otherwise fortresses simply aren't considered connections at all.  For the upcoming release it is almost guaranteed to be one of these two. 

In the future, when armies are moving during play, and it becomes possible for one to march through your fort, it might be addressed (getting a reasonable hierarchical path grid for the fort surface wouldn't be too awful) but essentially the issue is getting the army to march through the fort in a non-insane way, when the fortress might be designed in a number of pathological ways.  It isn't impossible, but is on the level of difficulty of a full pathfinding rewrite (in fact, to do the desired task efficiently, some kind of room-based pathfinding algorithm would be almost a necessity) so it won't make it in as something Toady "forgot to mention".
This is one of these places where non-perfect pathfinding would be realistic, though!  Why would an army whose members have no connection to your site know its way around your fort, if the path wasn't obvious? 

Really, I'd think the most realistic thing to have happen if an army can't get through your fort would be for them to march up anyway as if they could, and have their inability to get through cause a diplomatic incident (... or worse) between your fort and the entity controlling the army.  It'd be reasonable for them to interpret trying to prevent free passage of their armies as contending for military power yourself.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5603 on: March 09, 2013, 02:56:13 am »

Yeah, and that would still be a nightmare to work on programmatically. It would be an ideal solution, yes, but would it be an ideal use of time? Probably not.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5604 on: March 09, 2013, 03:48:48 am »

You asked about this in a previous FOTF question, and I made a bug report for it.  It is on my list to send to Toady once we get to the 2nd round of bug fixing.  If you have a save showing it in the process of happening, please upload one to DFFD and post a link in the bug report (or PM me the link and I'll post it).

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5605 on: March 09, 2013, 08:16:49 am »

raining death from above
Warning, freakingly huge image. I don't know why is so freaking huge.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

:P
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 08:24:44 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5606 on: March 09, 2013, 10:35:48 am »

White Dwarf is a pretty nice magazine, though it got to be a bit high-end now. For some reason it seems more popular on the east coast than the west.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #5607 on: March 09, 2013, 06:25:53 pm »

raining death from above
Warning, freakingly huge image. I don't know why is so freaking huge.
 :P

Code: [Select]
[spoiler]
[img width=500]http://imaginarywars.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/2012-05-27-10-49-56.jpg[/img]
[/spoiler]

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5608 on: March 10, 2013, 12:57:29 am »

You asked about this in a previous FOTF question, and I made a bug report for it.  It is on my list to send to Toady once we get to the 2nd round of bug fixing.  If you have a save showing it in the process of happening, please upload one to DFFD and post a link in the bug report (or PM me the link and I'll post it).
Precisely why I'm asking again, Toady responded by simply admitting he didn't know the justice system was broken. Despite having gone through a drastic overhaul, my dungeons (much like my heart) are emptier than ever; it is a waste.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 10:54:30 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #5609 on: March 10, 2013, 05:36:14 pm »

Add a toaster creature with the prefstring "for my ability to slice bread".
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?
Pages: 1 ... 372 373 [374] 375 376 ... 748